Asuka: Should We Hate Her?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:51 am

If her plan worked I don't really see how you can say she's lacking in competence.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Iuvenal » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:57 am

She insisted on leading despite not actually knowing the way and got them lost (twice iirc). This reinforces what we see from her underwater against Gaghiel and round 1 against Israfel (and during the synch training).
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:53 pm

I also don't find her ep11 actions charming. She's competent inside her eva but doesn't have any business trying to take charge otherwise. If Matarael had been anything other than a joke as an angel her time-wasting nonsense and misdirection very well could have gotten them all killed.

On the other hand there's a problem with eva in that at times parts of episodes are played for comedy or even slapstick during the 'action arc', which work fine as an experience but in analysis doesn't fit well with the other pieces. Since most of that is Asuka running roughshod over the rest of the cast and plot for a while it makes it hard in retrospect to decide what to really make of her. If you take it at face-value she's physically and verbally abusive, clingy, emotionally needy, jealous, dishonest, manipulative, shallow, delusional, a loudmouth braggart and just generally a bitch... but how much of that should we take as factual vs distortion from this 'comedy filter' that seems to be in place?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Let's not forget, though, that Asuka refused to play her favorite offensive role in the actual Angel battle, in favor of being a shield for everyone else on the mission. Yes, Asuka was being a bit annoying while sh and the gang were trying to pull rank while they were trying to find their way around Nerv Headquarters. But in the end she also displayed self-sacrifice and a true understanding of team-work.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:21 pm

If by that you mean "I'll do the job that will look most impressive on the report while you guys kill it", then yes.

And really, what was even the point of that plan? Why couldn't they do ATF stuff from the vent (both against the angel and blocking the acid) while one person went to get the gun and then just shoot straight up? Why do they need to throw the gun higher before firing it? :huh:
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:29 pm

Ask the genious Anno. After all he can't do wrong :tongue:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:06 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:If by that you mean "I'll do the job that will look most impressive on the report while you guys kill it", then yes.

And really, what was even the point of that plan? Why couldn't they do ATF stuff from the vent (both against the angel and blocking the acid) while one person went to get the gun and then just shoot straight up? Why do they need to throw the gun higher before firing it? :huh:

For the same reasons that missiles and rockets don't work on Angels that aren't producing an ATF at the moment, therefore making Evas the only fighter against the Angels, despite the fact that many of the Angels in NGE were taken out by just getting their mouth pried opened and getting blasted down he throat by non-Eva weaponry. (Such as was the case in Episode 8.)

Come on man, I thought you knew this stuff. Logic, duh. ;)

Real talk: I doubt Asuka would really harm her precious Unit 02 just so she would look good on a report. One who would even think such a thing really doesn't know the character of Asuka at all, almost to the point of nativity about the subject matter found only in those who have never actually seen the TV series sat all. What she did in Episode 11 came as a surprise given her introduction in Episode 8. What she did in Episode 11 goes against all of the "battles should be precise and clean" stuff she was saying in Episode 9. The deformity her Unit 02 experienced in Episode 11 she normally would have fought tooth and nail to prevent, as is evident in her reaction to perfectly harmless Type-D equipment in Episode 10. What she did in Episode 11 is what we narrative artists like to call a "character arc," and it's pretty sweet to actually see one pop up in popular modern media every once in a while.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:10 am

So raw fankwankage and "you just don't get her"?

I agree to disagree.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:41 am

Pointing out the objective and evident events across 3 consecutive episodes is hardly a "fanwank." Or, it's as much a fan wank as stating "Evas are meant to fight the Angels" is a fanwank. These are things that are clearly and explicitly presented to the audiences within the series, with no attempt from the filmmakers to cleaverly conceal them or otherwise somehow make it's point convoluted or mysterious. Accepting them as the cannon proper was the intent of presenting them in the order, consistency, and clearity in which they did.

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Iuvenal » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:49 am

I don't think Asuka's actions in the shaft in 11 can be made to fit the narrative you're pushing given her actions earlier in the episode. Her character simply hasn't progressed in that direction at that point in the series, and her stated reason for taking the defensive role is more plausible than the one you're implying.

Also, this sort of burn
One who would even think such a thing really doesn't know the character of Asuka at all, almost to the point of nativity about the subject matter found only in those who have never actually seen the TV series[...].

works better when you spell the words right ;)

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:22 am

Her stated reasons were, in her own words, to "become even" with Shinji, yes. There is the fact that she's returning the favor Shinji extended in Episode 10. All those team-building excersizes Misato had Asuka and Shinji do in Episode 9 do in these ways lead up to the moments where they help each other out in Episodes 10 and 11. I'm not sure how this context and Asuka's stated reasons can be interpreted as selfish or glory-hogging.

If you want to discuss Asuka's more selfish or frustrated tendencies, Episodes 15 and 16 might be the better foundation for that discussion.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:14 pm

The thing to bear in mind in episode 11 that the power failure meant that the pilots were essentially operating out from under the command of the grown-ups -- giving Asuka a chance to do something more than just creatively interpret Misato's wacky orders. It was the one and only chance she got to show that she had undergone years of training and was prepared to step into the squad leader role.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:54 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Her stated reasons were, in her own words, to "become even" with Shinji, yes. There is the fact that she's returning the favor Shinji extended in Episode 10. All those team-building excersizes Misato had Asuka and Shinji do in Episode 9 do in these ways lead up to the moments where they help each other out in Episodes 10 and 11. I'm not sure how this context and Asuka's stated reasons can be interpreted as selfish or glory-hogging.

If you want to discuss Asuka's more selfish or frustrated tendencies, Episodes 15 and 16 might be the better foundation for that discussion.

Asuka's demented psyche will not allow her to express affection or concern of any shade without something to poison it and ruin the moment.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:30 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It was the one and only chance she got to show that she had undergone years of training and was prepared to step into the squad leader role.

Clearly the training had not been good, then.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:31 pm

Of course it wasn't, she was trained to fail purposely.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:43 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Asuka's demented psyche will not allow her to express affection or concern of any shade without something to poison it and ruin the moment.

Yes, this much is true.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:43 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Of course it wasn't, she was trained to fail purposely.

I can see that as a fanwank; but who in the series would actually have any interest in doing that?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Iuvenal » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:44 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Of course it wasn't, she was trained to fail purposely.

While Asuka's training clearly didn't produce a 13 year old supersoldier, I don't see why one should think she was purposefully trained wrong [s]as a joke, like Wimp Lo[/s]. The deficiencies in her capabilities as a pilot which we see throughout the series seem to me to be either personal traits that are difficult to train out, common traits of teenage girls or common problems of green soldiers. And her pure technical ability, which comes out in flashes, is excellent. To me this seems more likely to be the result of a training regimen that tried to produce an outstanding pilot and wasn't able to do so in the time allotted than one that set out to produce an inept one.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:52 pm

View Original PostIuvenal wrote:her pure technical ability

What does that even mean?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:11 pm

She's a good pilot but not a good leader or follower.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”