Asuka: Should We Hate Her?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin

Asuka: Should We Hate Her?

Postby TriLink » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:50 pm

Tangent from the Rebuild 2.0 Trailer on YouTube Thread that starts about HERE. Thought it was worth getting into some more.

I've always seen Asuka as someone that should be pitied more than hated. Yeah, she's got the whole arrogant bitch thing going for her, but those things are only her way of coping with the god awful life she was given (much in the same way Shinji's acting like a pussy is his way of coping). She went through some horrible things as a child, and I'm amazed that some folks can't cut the poor girl some slack. Her traumatic life obviously doesn't excuse her behavior, but when it comes down to it, she was a mentally ill person who needed help. We shouldn't hate her anymore than we should hate a Bi polar or Schizophrenic person.

That's my take, but I'm far more interested in what you, "The People", have to say.

Discuss.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:52 pm

I felt more sorry for her than anything else, even moreso than Shinji.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:52 pm

One of the best things about NGE, in my opinion, is that none of the characters are so two-dimensional that I can actually hate them.

That's a rare thing these days.

Sandoz
Lilith

Postby Sandoz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:18 pm

Should we hate her?

No, definitely no. She's a traumatized child who doesn't get the help she needs from the people around her. She may not be a particularly nice person, but she doesn't do anything that's truly worthy of hate.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:20 pm

Annoyed, most definitely.

Hate, anger, no. That's for Anno-sensei and sometimes Shinji. :mrgreen:

~at0mic punk~
Lilith

Postby ~at0mic punk~ » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:39 pm

At first Asuka, Kaji, and Misato were the only characters I could relate to, and NO you shouldn't hate Asuka at all
Metal Gear Rank List
MGS:TS-Big Boss
MGS2:Substance-Bat
MGS3:Subsistance-Bat
MGS4:Guns of the Patriots-Eagle

Themaninblack
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:41 pm

Yes She's way worse than Shinji..there I said it
I won.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:25 am

Asuka was the character I felt most sympathy for -- there is a lot of her that I was or could so easily have been at that age.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:30 am

Having a relative soooo much like her I can't help but despise her. Some say she didn't get the help she need but the truth is she rejected it outright.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:30 am

Hate? No, her past is as black as Shinji's, if not blacker. As incredibly painful as Shinji's past was, Asuka's past is so, so depressing (The muted tones add to it) it's no wonder she's like this at all. Poor, poor Asuka.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:32 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote: Some say she didn't get the help she need but the truth is she rejected it outright.

That's the worst part! They don't know what help is for them, and they just can't trust anyone to help them. To help themselves is nearly impossible, they have nothing in life worth helping themselves for.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:47 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Some say she didn't get the help she need but the truth is she rejected it outright.

There were no good candidates for the post of helper. She was left with people who had no clue; which could only make things worse.

Asuka:
You don't understand anything! Stay away from me!

Shinji:
(Hand twitching) ... I do understand.

Asuka:
No you don't, you IDIOT!

(Asuka kicks Shinji - Shinji's hand convulses)

You really think you understand me!? You think that you can help me?
That is so ARROGANT! You couldn't possibly understand me!!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:49 am

If anyone could understand her it was Shinji the problem is he never tried. However, I was referring to how she basicly told off Langley and the Doctor when she was still a little kid.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:59 am

Looks like Tines got it after all. But Asuka did complicate things in the sense that she wanted help badly but couldn't accept any at all. It's that dilemma that makes it complicated for most ordinary people to help her. That way, she's worse off than Shinji.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:33 am

UrsusArctos wrote:Looks like Tines got it after all. But Asuka did complicate things in the sense that she wanted help badly but couldn't accept any at all. It's that dilemma that makes it complicated for most ordinary people to help her. That way, she's worse off than Shinji.

I don't think she even realized she needed help until her facade of already-graduated-from-college-better-than-everyone-around-me-i'm-an-adult-I-don't-need-anyone-else came crumbling down. And, not knowing how to behave except with that facade, since she's been this way for almost all her life, doesn't help things because everyone else still sees the facade Asuka when they look at her (exception, Hikari, but there was nothing she could do). Shinji is utterly clueless to what's going on (he's got his own problems), when he goes to Asuka's hospital room, he still thinks (or wishes) he's seeing the facade Asuka.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:46 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:If anyone could understand her it was Shinji

LOL WUT? Aside from perhaps Misato, I can't see anyone less well qualified to understand her spectrum of frustrations.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:However, I was referring to how she basicly told off Langley and the Doctor when she was still a little kid.

Precocious and headstrong (high INT, low WIS for the D&Ders out there), frustrated at slow-thinking adults and ones who were not particularly interested in her at that.

shinesman_cobalt
Tunniel

Postby shinesman_cobalt » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:51 am

I don't hate Asuka, but I become annoyed with her far more often than with other characters. Perhaps it's because she is a girl, and posseses a lot of the negative (as I see them) traits I dont like in girls, such as narsisism and self-centeredness. it's my problem, I'll deal with it. XD
"What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks!?"

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:19 am

How can i hate Asuka when she is my favorite character? :P

Asuka's child years have been awful. It's more than rational that they had a big impact on her and in some aspects of her character.
Yeah she treats like bitch sometimes--especially to that poor Shinji[i wonder why? :P ]--, she acts like she owns everything but deep down that's a self-defense. A way to fool the others and not show her own weaknesses. #22 explains a lot i think.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

machinamar
Embryo

Postby machinamar » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:26 am

I actually do like Asuka. Sure, her outward demeanor can be a bit frustrating at first, but:

a) like people said, her past is blacker than most of the cast, if not all.
b) she's 14 years old.

It's her way of coping, and I understand that well; I'm sure some of the people on this board can relate to Asuka -- hiding down their real feelings and desires under a more attractive facade. Everyone has a different way of dealing with life, and I find Asuka's to be one of the more realistic strategies. (Which is probably why I'm so fascinated by the mind-rape scene.)

Also, one shouldn't denigrate a person that rejects help. As UrsusArctos said, it's almost always the worst case.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:56 am

I hated her before the mind rape ep then she just made so much sence. poor kid
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”