Evangelion 2.0: Start Your Engines!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Evangelion 2.0: Start Your Engines!

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:32 pm

The Eva 1.0 review/spoilers thread was beginning to become inundated with speculation about the second movie, so let's just do it here instead. (I mean that.)

And we'll post this again, too.

[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-09-01/2nd-eva-film-remake-to-add-redesigned-evas-new-girl[/url] wrote:
2nd Eva Film Remake to Add Redesigned EVAs, New Girl
posted on 2007-09-01 13:29 EDT
First movie played to standing-room-only audiences all day in Tokyo theaters

The first of the four Evangelion movie remakes, Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone, opened Saturday, and it featured a "next episode preview" for the 2008 sequel with more redesigned EVA units and a previously unanimated female character. Specifically, the first EVA units will have a new backpack attachment for an aerial drop sequence (analogous to the scene in episode 9 of the series), the EVA-04 unit is hinted to appear for the first time in animation, a new mono-eyed EVA-05 design will appear, and the EVA-06 will feature a completely new design as well. The new character is an eyeglasses-wearing, brunette girl. The preview's narrator, Kotono Mitsuishi as the character Misato Katsuragi, promised more fan "service-service" in the second movie. (Evangelion: 1.0 had partial nudity.)

The Evangelion: 1.0 movie played to standing-room-only audiences in Tokyo-area theaters from morning to evening. The movie's pamphlet included a notice that Studio Khara (director Hideaki Anno's new company whose first work is this movie) is "accepting applications for staffers" to work on the second movie.

Don't feel like fishing out the other "2.0 preview" stuff from the prior thread.
Last edited by Reichu on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:50 pm

Hmm...Ramriel is the 6th Angel, and Gendo claims there are 8 more, bringing us to a grand total of 14...However, if we sorta drop Adam and Lilith, which are kinda special, that leaves us 12.

The Judeo-Christian symbolism is a lot stronger with 12 Angels, and one of them would betray Shinji (Kaworu) in a Jesus/Judas sort of way. Kaworu betraying Shinji would set him up to recieve 3rd Imapct, which could at this point, be compared to Jesus's crucifixion, and then the rebirth of the world, which would compare to the resurrection of Jesus.

I dunno, if this is what Anno planned for the series, he'll read this post and make the necessary changes to keep us on our toes....
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:58 pm

*corny voice*

Here we go again... :roll:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:58 pm

I still say the 12 Apostles deal (excluding Adam & Lilith) is possibly going to lead up to the original scenario or something like it. "Lead up" probably isn't the word I'm looking for. :P

Interesting how Misato already knows about "Adam" and showed her to Shinji...Wonder how he reacted?

I guess they did that because with these movies, they only have time for so much information to show.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby zeaven » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:50 pm

Something to consider is that Misato's finding out about "Adam" in the series sort of begins her quest to find out what the hell's really going on. If she already knows, is she already looking for answers when the movie saga starts? Or if this is a new story, is she okay with it? That'll definitely change future events. Also, if she still finds Kaji messing around like she did in NGE, how will Kaji get out of it if she already knows about "Adam"?
Underneath it all, we feel so small
The heavens fall, but still we crawl...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:55 pm

That does bring up some interesting thoughts about new Misato.

Sadly with the shortened running time (so Eva 1.0 has been confirmed as having a mere 90 minute running time?) I'm certain the two Eva characters who'll get shafted the most when it comes to character development are gonna be Ritsuko, Fuyutsuki, and Kaji.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:05 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:Hmm...Ramriel is the 6th Angel, and Gendo claims there are 8 more, bringing us to a grand total of 14...However, if we sorta drop Adam and Lilith, which are kinda special, that leaves us 12.

The Japanese crap I translated:

The number of Angels is down: The Fourth is Sachiel, with eight remaining, hence 12 Angels in all.

SSD wrote:Interesting how Misato already knows about "Adam" and showed her to Shinji...Wonder how he reacted?

I think it was said that Misato called her Lilith. We'll need confirmation on this one.

@zeaven: I'd been thinking about the altered Misato/Kaji dynamic myself.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Sadly with the shortened running time

The shortened running time is a problem. Sure, it allows for more money to be concentrated on less footage (barring a TV series with uberific funding), but, with a story that benefitted as much from gradual development as NGE did, this feels like it's going to be a significant sacrifice. It took them one whole movie just to provide a RECAP that didn't really take their "Rebuild" into any wild new directions. Now they just have a movie and a half to build up to an ending, and half a movie for the ending itself.

I don't see how they would be able to pull anything off in that amount of time and have it actually be satisfying. Shiny popcorn movies with plenty of Service, Service!, but a ride that's over far too soon to really draw you in or accomplish its goal.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:24 pm

Keep in mind that we're going to be dealing with a story specifically written for that sort of timespan. Besides, i've seen movies pull off epic, involving storylines that FELT like a whole series'-worth of development and exposition within a 90 minute-to-2 hour timespan. A good example of this would be some of Miyazaki's films, such as Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds or Princess Mononoke.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:17 pm

My rampant speculation- the new character is going to be the Japanese- American pilot of Evangelion Unit-03, and her name is going to be Amagiri (After the destroyer that almost killed future president John F. Kennedy in 1943), and she will be more like a female Shinji with some Asuka traits (Sailor Star Dust, rejoice!), and be Shinji's closest love interest.

She'll get to be somewhat close to Rei and maybe help Shinji and Rei come closer together- of course, Asuka will hate her (I hope Asuka's around) and Rei and compete over who gets Baka-Shinji's affections.

The second movie will end in a grand battle with Bardiel and Zeruel- together! Bardiel lurks in a cloud that follows behind Zeruel, while Zer moves ahead and announces his arrival with Red Cross Pillars of Light just after Toji completes his activation tests with Yongoki aka Eva-04, which completed tests of its experimental S2 engine before arrival. Gogoki and Rokugoki, in Germany, will have the production model S2 engine.

Zer damages Eva-00 and Eva-01, and Toji and Asuka both go boso and hammer Zer. Bardiel swoops down to save his handsome big bro, and infects Eva-04 with Toji inside. Shinji and the new girl struggle to save Toji while putting that freak Bardiel out of action, while angry Asuka and Rei in her damaged Eva must struggle to stop Zeruel from getting into Central Dogma. The fight ends with both Sho and San having their dummy systems activated, and Yon is ripped apart. The new girl, who had a crush on Toji, screams in horror as Toji's entry plug is crushed(well...huh).

Autopilot Sho goes genuinely boso and turns Zeruel into dinner once again, breaking free from its restraints and roaring. Seele shake their heads in dismay. Shinji and new girl rebel against Gendo for ordering Toji's death.

Gogoki arrives from Germany, with Kaworu as the pilot, and he soothes quite a few upset nerves.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:27 pm

a female Shinji with some Asuka traits (Sailor Star Dust, rejoice!)

Seriously though, I think I literally turned beet red at that comment.

...Did you read that scrapped thing I wrote on my FGC-wiki profile page? Ah, what the heck: *Puts it back up*

And I like the concept, but lol brainfart: how can she be Shinji's closest love interest if Glasses Girl likes Touji (*gasp* Asuka and Hikari respectively will NOT be pleased!)?? :?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:39 pm

Rampant Speculation is rampaaaaaaant? Sounds like you need to write some fanfiction. Just let it alllll ouuuuuuut.

How is anyone going to get an S2 Engine from an Angel, considering they burst like giant tomatoes the moment they die or something?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:41 pm

Reichu wrote: Sounds like you need to write some fanfiction. Just let it alllll ouuuuuuut.

Er...I would, but my writing skills are kinda dead at the moment.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:56 am

Reichu wrote:How is anyone going to get an S2 Engine from an Angel, considering they burst like giant tomatoes the moment they die or something?

Use a straw like they are drinking V8 :P

I'm not going to go too far into speculating what the new girl is going to do. Just that in some way or form she's not going be sticking around and Shinji si going to be blaming himself for it. Which will cause him to pull further away from everything else. I also don't think we will see them go all grand in the love triangle stuff. Anything that's there is going to be subtle and ala Evangelion really messed up.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:14 am

That whole reply was actually a big fat joke. I can't imagine five Evas ever coming together, and I have no idea whether that freak Bardiel is really returning or if the Wikipedia entry is wrong. I really hope Eva-03 gets a better deal than being mutated and then pulped.

And that's not half as rampant as the stuff I've thrown at the Halo Story Page or the Halo Bungie Org forums (I was a contributor there under the same name). This situation is at least mildly feasible.

Morzella
Adam

Postby Morzella » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:10 pm

If Kaworu might have memorys from when this happned before perhaps the other angles do to. Most of them are optimists so have another go. However Zerule probaly had the worst time of it on Earth. in this movie ve will simpily say "You think I'm going through that agian? Bog off."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:51 pm

The cyclical history concept is kind of stupid. I really hope the bloody seas and Moon are just from Adam exploding into blood at 2I or something. And that the "No 3, you really haven't changed" is not referring to the "Third Boy" (Shinji), but the Third Angel they shoved everyone up a notch to include (the giant hanging out with Kaworu?), or someone else.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sandoz
Lilith

Postby Sandoz » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:24 pm

Is the Second Impact cover-up mentioned in Rebuild 01? A giant bloodstain on the moon would be difficult to blame on a meteor.

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby zeaven » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:47 pm

Sandoz wrote:Is the Second Impact cover-up mentioned in Rebuild 01? A giant bloodstain on the moon would be difficult to blame on a meteor.

Well, if there are ANY shots of them in school during class, then it's certain that Second Impact is covered. :D (not necessarily the coverup, but I couldn't pass that joke up)
Underneath it all, we feel so small
The heavens fall, but still we crawl...

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:40 pm

Sandoz wrote:Is the Second Impact cover-up mentioned in Rebuild 01? A giant bloodstain on the moon would be difficult to blame on a meteor.

Well, you see, when that meteor hit Antartica, we found out the Earth is a macro-organism, with all this blood and stuff deep down inside that we never saw before, you know?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:42 pm

How do you bullshit the public about the oceans going red? (Assuming that stuff happened at 2I.)

CC wrote:Well, you see, when that meteor hit Antartica, we found out the Earth is a macro-organism, with all this blood and stuff deep down inside that we never saw before, you know?

Heh, Gaia.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”