Rebuild 1:0 "You are (not) alone" Reviews/Spoilers

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:40 am

I tried not to give out spoilers, unless someone asked about something specific, but since someone had posted an mp3 of the entire movie, I figured the few that really wanted to be spoiled could find some use from the timestamp transcript. It doesn't cover every cut or scene (no way I can write that fast and pay attention at the same time, and I had to use an invented eva shorthand), but someone listening to it can easily follow along if they've already seen the TV series.

I'm going to be really sad about 2.0, since I won't be in Japan (unless there's some airline deal at that time of year), and will have to religiously avoid spoilers. If the angel fights in 2.0 are anything like Ramiel, I'm going to have to take off my shoes because my socks are going to blow right through them.

XX
Embryo

Perhaps...

Postby XX » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:20 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:btw: I think the sauce was on ANN but it might have been EML (either way I can't find it at the moment) but apparently Rebuild 01 will be shown internationally. Somewhere in Europe, IIRC.

There are serious possibilities for the european premiere in SITGES International Film Festival of Catalonia from the city of Sitges (Catalonia, Spain). Time ago I contacted via electronic mail with the 'Programmer/Film Coordinator' of the event, and told me they where considering to invite 'Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone' to the festival.

This information was posted, in spanish, here:

· Rei Liberation Parade Forums, Rebuild of Evangelion - Sitges
[url]http://forums.reiliberationparade.com.ar/viewtopic.php?t=451[/url]

· SITGES International Film Festival of Catalonia WebSite
[url]http://www.cinemasitges.com/uk/[/url]

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:22 pm

When does this festival take place?

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Szmitten » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:41 pm

NAveryW wrote:When does this festival take place?

...People are not seriously considering going to a prestigious film festival for the sole purpose of watching one anime?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:11 pm

I'M GONNA WATCH THIS FRAKKING MOVIE AND I'M GOING TO WATCH IT BEFORE THE END OF 2007!

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:59 pm

Something from the IMDB forums:

from 2ch...that's what makes it unreliable XD

there are other minor spoilers such as:
*the appearence of EVA06 and new pilot character
*a nipple shot from Rei.
*There are bloods left on the moon surface.
*27th Report of Human Instrumentality Project
*The numbers of SEELE Monolith reduced to 6. and there are 6 coffins next to Kaworu when he first appeared in the story.
*The numbers of angels reduced from 18 to 12,
the 1st Angel is Adam, the 2nd Angel is Lilith, and the 3rd angel is Lilin. Eva story begins with the 4th angel, 8 angels left in the story.

Some of this is known to be true, so... erm... what does "27th report of HIP" mean? O_o HAS THIS HAPPENED TWENTY-SEVEN TIMES BEFORE?!
Last edited by NAveryW on Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:12 pm

"Are you going to spend the rest of your life running away from unpleasant things?"

Thank you, Ornette. Rei, once again, gives Shinji advice.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Perhaps...

Postby CitizenGeek » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:27 pm

XX wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:btw: I think the sauce was on ANN but it might have been EML (either way I can't find it at the moment) but apparently Rebuild 01 will be shown internationally. Somewhere in Europe, IIRC.

There are serious possibilities for the european premiere in SITGES International Film Festival of Catalonia from the city of Sitges (Catalonia, Spain). Time ago I contacted via electronic mail with the 'Programmer/Film Coordinator' of the event, and told me they where considering to invite 'Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone' to the festival.

I know there's a Dublin Film Festival coming up soon. But I'm not even going to hope for Eva 1.0 showing up there ): It might get shown at the Cannes Film Festival early next year?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:58 pm

Rei 3 wrote:"Are you going to spend the rest of your life running away from unpleasant things?"

That's nearly the same thing Child-Shinji said to Shinji in Episode 16, albeit the wording was slightly different: "You're going to spend the rest of your life ruminating on that happiness?" AND "See? You're running away again. There's no way you can live by linking just the enjoyable moments like a rosary. Especially not me."
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Szmitten » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:20 pm

NAveryW wrote:Some of this is known to be true, so... erm... what does "27th report of HIP" mean? O_o HAS THIS HAPPENED TWENTY-SEVEN TIMES BEFORE?!

THEIR 27th report. Like a bi-annual meeting or something.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:20 pm

Is the pacing in this movie really really REALLY RUSHED?

Because I looked at the time recorder thing and at 30 minutes it's Shinji's in bed and at 30:50 it says Toji is punching Shinji.

It looks like all the scenes are squeezed into 20 second spans.

Any say onthis? Is R'Eva truly super rushed?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:02 pm

Or scene placement is switched around somewhat? :o

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:40 pm

14 minutes in, Shinji's already being launched in Shogoki.

...ZOMG I'm loving what they did with the music. ;_;

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:47 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Because I looked at the time recorder thing and at 30 minutes it's Shinji's in bed and at 30:50 it says Toji is punching Shinji.

It went from that shot to, "SMACK", then Shinji on the ground with Toji and Kensuke over him. There was no, in-class "are you the pilot [Y/N]" thing in class", Toji being told that there was a new student, etc. It just went straight from him in bed to him being punched. It's safe to assume that was his first day at school. Incidentally, later when Misato and Ritsuko were on the ski lift thing, They mention how Shinji got beat up at school and whether they should increase security.

It didn't feel rushed, just condensed. A lot of the incidental stuff was removed, like what I mentioned above.

Also, since the narrative here is pretty much all in chronological order, there are a lot of scenes switched around.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:51 pm

Okay, listening to the 45 minutes in scene with the heavy sounding version of Hedgehog's Dilemma made me nearly feel nervous/saddened. (Don't want to spoil just what happens.)

I just hope it's played out as depressing as the music/acting makes it seem.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:21 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Rei 3 wrote:"Are you going to spend the rest of your life running away from unpleasant things?"

That's nearly the same thing Child-Shinji said to Shinji in Episode 16, albeit the wording was slightly different: "You're going to spend the rest of your life ruminating on that happiness?" AND "See? You're running away again. There's no way you can live by linking just the enjoyable moments like a rosary. Especially not me."

Wait...thats the third Rei? How do you know? Also, it pretty interesting that Rei is the one to say this, and...how long as Shinji known her? Must be a clue to their connection (Shinji's mother, I guess).

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:07 pm

Well the timeline is cool.

To the special few (oh so special) I just ask, if you weren't versed in Evaology, does the characterization and pacing feel natural? One of the things that'll bug me more than anything is bad pacing. Just a few seconds added on to the end of this scene to make it work and so forth.

Plus, off topic (I'm sure the ELDERS- capitals a must- will tell me about the right board for it) listening to SARABANDE and feel that it should have place in Eva somewhere.

P.S. Looking at the timeline, it's nice to see Ritsuko isn't getting the shaft out of the series. One of my favorite characters stays strong.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:15 pm

Where is this timeline?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:23 am

NAveryW wrote:Where is this timeline?

You mean this thing? http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89351#89351

Also, here's a fairly accurate picture of the only 2 shots of the new girl that we see in the preview: http://yaplog.jp/cat-cake/archive/433#BlogEntryExtend

Yasha
Embryo

Postby Yasha » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:31 am

So it looks like this fanart was real, at least when it comes to the face. By the way, was a new Evangelion yellow or so? I know it's almost impossible, but... And was there any shots of new girl in plug suit?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”