[Film] Movie Recommendation Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

[Film] Movie Recommendation Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:39 pm

Normal recommendation thread rules apply. State one movie, tell us why you liked/hated its guts, and should we see it. You ofcourse can comment on a review but please don't just make list of movies without explaining them a bit.
I won.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:42 pm

V for Vendetta

Phenomonal movie, plot-wise, action-wise, all-wise.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:50 pm

Mundane wrote:V for Vendetta

Phenomonal movie, plot-wise, action-wise, all-wise.

You have good taste in action films!
I won.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:38 pm

Hmmmm, recommend only one movie? That's too difficult so I'm going to break the rules and recommend a few (but I'll give reasons why they all pwn with the mighty force of Pwnage).

Mulholland Drive

David Lynch at his most mature and complex. It's as "weird" as anything you're likely to ever see - and as brilliant. The last 20-30 minutes will leave your head spinning. For persistent, perceptive viewers it will take a few viewings to piece together Lynch's puzzle. But ignore every review that says it's non-sensical and "falls apart at the end". The truth is, it starts out as a straight-forward narrative, but ends as a fractured one. This makes it extremely confusing, but for those who figure it out, it was also a great move on Lynch's part.

It's just a strange, dark, but utterly beautiful film. It's also one of my all time favorite experiences (watching it the first time is similar to the Eva-esque mindfuck). It also has perhaps my all-time favorite scene with Club Silencio's "Crying" performance.

Jacob's Ladder

Worth seeing for Tim Robbins's performance alone, this is another dark and unsettling film. It puts the viewer in the place of a Vietnam Vet who is wounded in combat, but returns to his "normal" life. However, his normal life is being interrupted with flashes of his Vietnam days, and terrifying visions of monsters and demons. The "Hospital Scene" is one of the most disturbing you'll ever see. But for such a dark film, I also think it's really beautiful and poignant. The ending (before the "epilogue") is one of my all time favorites.

Another that might take a few viewings to piece together, but it's worth the time and effort.

Oldboy

For lovers of psychological thrillers, this is a must see. It's the only modern film I've seen to do the likes of Hitchcock proud. It's about a guy who is captured and imprisoned for 15 years, with no idea who kidnapped him or why. He is finally let out, and goes on a tear trying to find the people who did it. The finale is probably THE most shocking thing I've ever seen in my life. I know I certainly felt like I had been punched in the gut afterwards....

Audition

Another extremely disturbing film. Not for everyone, but for those who can handle explicit torture scenes, this is a horror film with a brain. A widowed father decides to take some advice and hold an "audition" for a new wife (under the guise of another audition). He finds one particular girl, and becomes obsessed with her. Little does he know what a baaaaaaad choice he made.

Another one that has so many memorable, freakish scenes. The "telephone call" is one that stands out. But the last 10-20 minutes can be hard to tolerate, and it won't leave you for a while.

Pan's Labyrinth

Grim's fairy tails meets Alice in Wonderland set in 1940s Spain. Compared to most fantasies it sets itself apart due to its gritty realism and brutality. The bad guys are monstrous, and the young girl is extremely sympathetic. This is another dark but really beautiful film. The special effects are outstanding without ever seeming fake. The guy who plays both the Fawn and the "Eye Monster" was superb, as is the main girl.

That's enough for now. Happy movie watching. :)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:06 pm

Tommy

Movie version of The Who's rock opera, starring none other than their singer, Roger Daltrey. The whole movie uses the same music (albeit with some parts extended) as the album, otherwise there is no dialogue. Some of the psychedelia scenes just blow you away. This is one of my favorite movies.

The Italian Job Original Version

This is a movie about a British criminal mastermind who plans to steal a shipment of Chinese gold in Italy while in route to being delievered. Almost every part of this movie is excellent, from the action, to the car chase scenes. This is a must see movie.

Dr. Strangelove or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Cold War-era black comedy about the possibility of an accidental nuclear war with Russia. A general goes crazy and orders an all-out nuclear attack on the Soviet Union, which has just invented the Doomsday Machine, which would wipe out all of humanity in the case the USSR was attacked. A Colonel scrambles to figure out the recall code for the attack, while the head honchos in Washington go bonkers. Its a really good movie, see it as soon as you can.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:13 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:

Cold War-era black comedy about the possibility of an accidental nuclear war with Russia. A general goes crazy and orders an all-out nuclear attack on the Soviet Union, which has just invented the Doomsday Machine, which would wipe out all of humanity in the case the USSR was attacked. A Colonel scrambles to figure out the recall code for the attack, while the head honchos in Washington go bonkers. Its a really good movie, see it as soon as you can.

damn it I was going to review that one :evil:
I won.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:21 pm

Attack the Gas Station. Great film. Mocks korean stereotypes, preconceptions and stuff. It's hilariously funny.
And the Pepsi scene is gold.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:25 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:

Undoubtedly one of the all-time best films. One of the few that works as well as pure entertainment as it does art (The War Room line never fails to crack me up... but THINK about it for a second!). Kubrick was truly a genius. If forced to choose between that and 2001 I think I would curl up in a ball and refuse to pick. :)
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:31 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Undoubtedly one of the all-time best films. One of the few that works as well as pure entertainment as it does art (The War Room line never fails to crack me up... but THINK about it for a second!). Kubrick was truly a genius.

Actually, I haven't seen it in a couple of months. I should prolly go watch it again.

"Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!"

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:34 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:
Actually, I haven't seen it in a couple of months. I should prolly go watch it again.

"Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!"
One thing I love about Kubrick is his films almost always get better and better with repeat viewings. I've seen Strangelove 4 times now, and I enjoyed it more every time.

General "Buck" Turgidson: "Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks."

:lol:

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:38 pm

best excahge is here though

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, Jack, Jack, listen, tell me, tell me, Jack. When did you first... become... well, develop this theory?
General Jack D. Ripper: Well, I, uh... I... I... first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
General Jack D. Ripper: Yes, a uh, a profound sense of fatigue... a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I... I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.
General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence.
I won.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:42 pm

My favorite scene for some reason is perhaps the quirkiest one, and that's the Coca-Cola machine:

Lionel Mandrake: Colonel... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some change in there.
Colonel "Bat" Guano: That's private property.
Lionel Mandrake: Colonel! Can you possibly imagine what is going to happen to you, your frame, outlook, way of life, and everything, when they learn that you have obstructed a telephone call to the President of the United States? Can you imagine? Shoot it off! Shoot! With a gun! That's what the bullets are for, you twit!
Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
Lionel Mandrake: What?
Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:47 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:My favorite scene for some reason is perhaps the quirkiest one, and that's the Coca-Cola machine

LOL, that is a pretty good scene.

I also like the scenes with the soldiers in a gunfight in front of the giant billboard that says "Peace is our Profession".

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:51 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:I also like the scenes with the soldiers in a gunfight in front of the giant billboard that says "Peace is our Profession".
Hehe, yeah.

Ok, I think we've derailed this thread enough. We should get a split and turn the last several posts into a "Dr. Strangelove appreciation thread." :)

Another recommendation:

The Princess Bride

The most eternally enjoyable film I've ever seen. It was Shrek before there was Shrek (a fairy tale that mocks fairy tales while being a great fairy tail at the same time). It's basically about a nothing guy who falls in love with a princess (or, they fall in love with each other). The guy is believed to be dead, and the princess becomes betrothed to the villain. Then we're introduced to our 3 heros: The princess' original love (now the man in black), Inigo Montoya, and non other than Andre the Giant as Fezzik.

The film is endlessly quotable, and exquisitely made. Probably the funnest time I've ever had watching a film, and it's one of those that you can always sit down and watch no matter your mood. The "poisoned cup" scene is utterly brilliant.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:05 am

Agreed...

Icchi the Killler

A great mix of horror/action film. Want dudes to be sliced completley in half? You got it! The film is about Yahzua thug looking for vengance on an old man that killed his boss, cost him his Yahzua membership, lost his girlfriend, and offers him the thing he wants most...the ultiamate pain. Something that his boss and girlfriend couldn't give him...as hard as he and they tried. He thinks he can exprience that pain if he finds Icchi the Killer...the old man's ultimate assisian. But...is that out of shape man Icchi? Is he shedding tears?

Word of advice...when Icchi starts crying RUN
I won.

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:59 am

Hard Candy- psychological thriller about a pervert who takes videos of young girls and how one of his `victims` mentally tears him apart.

Vane
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vane » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:59 pm

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

"Set two years after the first film, Reed Richards and Sue Storm are preparing for their wedding. A silver object enters Earth's atmosphere, radiating cosmic energy that creates massive molecular fluctuations and causes deep craters at locations across the Earth." -Wikipedia

This film isn't all it's cracked up to be. If you are a Fantastic Four fan or liked the first movie, then you will most likely enjoy this one, however for those people who didn't like the first, stay away. This movie is more like a long episode of the cartoon series with barely any progression in a story, if another Fantastic Four movie comes out and you see the first but missed this one, you won't be lacking on anything important information at all. I don't recommend this movie unless you are a fan or liked the first.

Verdict: A Rent

Spiderman 3

"Peter Parker has begun to feel secure in his life and plans to propose to Mary Jane. One night in a park, while Peter and Mary Jane are on a date, a small meteorite crashes nearby, and an alien symbiote oozes out, attaching itself to Peter's moped." -Wikipedia

This movie was quite entertaining, it gives the goody two shoes Peter Parker a dark side and has quite a few funny moments along with that. The dark side of Peter Parker is pretty much him having more of a backbone more than 'dark', the movie introduces a ton of characters and runs long but feels like it should of ran for longer and expanded more but it didn't. Has a several neat fight scenes and is good fun if you're a spidey fan or if you have mixed feelings about it.

Verdict: Buy

Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix

"Harry Potter is spending an agitating summer in Privet Drive: not only is he bracing himself for the catastrophe that is certain to accompany Voldemort's return, but he has had little contact from the wizarding world." -Wikipedia

This movie was well done, it follows mostly true to the book of the same name and the movie is entertaining for most of the way through. Some things were cut out same with all the other movies but the main storyline and important details are there. The movie is rather short for the size of the book and it feels like the movie is passing really fast at some points and slow at others.

Verdict: See/Buy

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:30 pm

is harry potter 5 out yet?

oh yeah and with the exception of the first one, the spiderman movies were entirely forgettable.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:The most eternally enjoyable film I've ever seen. It was Shrek before there was Shrek (a fairy tale that mocks fairy tales while being a great fairy tail at the same time).

quoted for mother-fucking TRUTH! (tru7h?)
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:54 pm

I just sat down and watched the movie John Q. It was alright, I think critics were a little harsh on it though.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:04 am

Harry Potter 5 was pretty bad. A real passage if I ever saw one, it leaves out most of everything in order to make it a comprehensible and easily digestible gateway into movie #6.

Always hated Order of the Phoenix, tho, but for all the right reasons. It's just depressing spending all that time reading how shit that year was for the guy.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Return to “Film and Video”