Rei: Angel or not?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 267
Joined: Dec 29, 2006

Rei: Angel or not?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby flatulant » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:02 pm

State your opinion here.

I believe she is an angel. Proof follows.

On the most fundamental level, Rei = Kaworu

Kaworu = Angel

by the substitution property of equality which states "if a = b and b = c, then a = c", I can conclude that Rei = Angel.

But that's just my opinion and how I got that opinion. State your opinion here.
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:05 pm

Rei is a clone of Yui Ikari with the soul of Lilith, Kaworu is the body of ? with the soul of Adam, common knowledge, next
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Malichinari
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 32
Joined: Jun 27, 2007
Location: The Outskirts of Civiliza
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Malichinari » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:21 pm

I don't think she is an angel. Sadamoto's version in the manga Volume 9 shows that Rei and kaworu are similiar, but not the same. The substitution property of equality no longer works because they aren't the same. That's my opinion.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:22 pm

Aaaa one of my favorate plot holes

Adam and lilith are the first and second angels. Kaworu has adams sole yet hes the 17th not the 1st, and Rei is just off the numbering system.

Rei is an angel IMHO
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion
Age: 36
Posts: 3254
Joined: Oct 25, 2006
Location: On Reichu's shit list...
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:45 pm

Rei is an Angel as ALL humans on Earth are.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Posts: 610
Joined: Feb 25, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Fearthebait » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:11 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Rei is an Angel as ALL humans on Earth are.

He wins.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:32 pm

I want a custom title " the 98324897635th angel "
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion
Age: 36
Posts: 3254
Joined: Oct 25, 2006
Location: On Reichu's shit list...
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:49 pm

DatDude wrote:I want a custom title " the 98324897635th angel "

Image

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 23063
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: 私の中いる自分の心
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:51 pm

Hasn't their been several threads about this that were done to death?

Rei=Lilith's soul, Yui's DNA while Kaworu=Adam's soul, but of course, Humankind is an Angel too, just without any Angelic powers (AT Fields, floating, etc).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2945
Joined: Sep 04, 2006
Location: I'm actually in a demon

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:29 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Humankind is an Angel too, just without any Angelic powers (AT Fields, floating, etc).
Humans have AT Fields, that's what holds them together. They just aren't as powerful as those of the other Angels.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Magami no D00M
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 119
Joined: Aug 23, 2005
Location: Manga Kaworu's clutches
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Magami no D00M » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:52 pm

This may be a mundane topic of sorts, but I haven’t posted like this in far too long. It doesn’t hurt to reaffirm one’s position I suppose…

Rei is most certainly and angel (reason being has been stated here numerous times ), but she's, of course, a manmade one, and thusly isn't "registered" along with the Angels of Adam's true offspring, numbers 3-16. Being registered as an Angel would appear to be a work in progress in itself, something done as encountered (see: Bardiel), with malleable stats, as there's no way to know much of what the Dead Sea's scrolls prediction of the angels entailed, how much was actually predicted, if the names that were given to Adam’s offspring were mandated within…
….Not at all likely.^^;
Remember, cool exotic names/barely established references are c000000l....

As for the great Kaworu, while also manmade, he is separate from that bunch most certainly because he makes Keel so happeh. =P

.....um, I mean, because he functioned on Adam's soul. Which magically means he's also Tabris, the 17th. >.>; These are all presumed inferences, which are a short step away from Eva's well known fanwanks, but information of this nature can sometimes be pieced together in a way that makes the fact the true nature of non lilim entities seem to change somewhat during the course of the show a non-issue.
Failsig:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me~Catalogue your hobby/obsession/drug.
DA Plug: http://magamish.deviantart.com/
*back from the dead to once again rekindle my Eva ineterst, since I recently purchased the domestic Rebuild 1.0 dvd* >>;

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 24046
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:53 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Rei is an Angel as ALL humans on Earth are.

I bet the humans on all those other planets are Angels, too.

The Lilim are all lumped under a single number because they're a "colony organism". (See: Misato in #25'.)

Rei doesn't get a number for the same reason none of the Evas do. <insert reason here>
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 267
Joined: Dec 29, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby flatulant » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:02 pm

Reichu wrote:
Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Rei is an Angel as ALL humans on Earth are.

I bet the humans on all those other planets are Angels, too.

The Lilim are all lumped under a single number because they're a "colony organism". (See: Misato in #25'.)

Rei doesn't get a number for the same reason none of the Evas do. <insert reason here>


Insert the reason please or I will have no choice but to refuse your explanation. :D

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 24046
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:15 pm

It is an invitation to fanwank.

BTW, only quote the part(s) of a post you are actually responding to. Read, and obey.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos
60 лет человека в космосе
60 лет человека в космосе
User avatar
Posts: 9708
Joined: Jun 28, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:15 pm

Rei could be the alternative seventeenth angel. If I remember right, SEELE's Dead Sea Scrolls mentioned seventeen trials of man. But mankind, unified race or not, is certainly not unified in its trials. I imagine that the Dead Sea Scrolls listed the trials in the way to instrumentality for the entire human race, not the exclusive, controlled versions that Gendo and SEELE are aiming at.

If each angel represents a trial, from SEELE's point of view, Kaworu/Tabris isn't a trial for them, born of adam or not. As far as they are concerned, his counterpart, Rei, would be the seventeenth angel. It's merely a point of view on who's useful to you and who threatens you.

Magami no D00M
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 119
Joined: Aug 23, 2005
Location: Manga Kaworu's clutches
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Magami no D00M » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:19 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:Rei could be the alternative seventeenth angel. If I remember right, SEELE's Dead Sea Scrolls mentioned seventeen trials of man. But mankind, unified race or not, is certainly not unified in its trials. I imagine that the Dead Sea Scrolls listed the trials in the way to instrumentality for the entire human race, not the exclusive, controlled versions that Gendo and SEELE are aiming at.

Are these "trials" the stuff of CI?

Edit: vGuess not...
Last edited by Magami no D00M on Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Failsig:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me~Catalogue your hobby/obsession/drug.
DA Plug: http://magamish.deviantart.com/
*back from the dead to once again rekindle my Eva ineterst, since I recently purchased the domestic Rebuild 1.0 dvd* >>;

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 24046
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:19 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:If I remember right, SEELE's Dead Sea Scrolls mentioned seventeen trials of man.

I don't think this is ever stated in the show. In fact, I can't think of anything canon-y where this is stated.

If each angel represents a trial

If Lilith gave Gehirn a hard time, we never heard about it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 23063
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: 私の中いる自分の心
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:22 pm

IIRC, its Adam=1st Angel, Lilith=2nd Angel.

Or are you referring to Lilith-Rei, 'cause apparently the 18th is Humanity, NOT her.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos
60 лет человека в космосе
60 лет человека в космосе
User avatar
Posts: 9708
Joined: Jun 28, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:27 pm

I can't recall where I heard that: at first I thought it came from the Classified Information, but it might've been junk from somewhere else, like the Naoko in Zerogoki and Baron of Hell junk.

What puzzles me is the whole angel numbering system. I thought the CI labelled Lilith as the Second Angel explicitly, but how are the angels from Sachiel onward labelled? In order of their appearance? Or in order of their creation? The first angel to be created need not always be the first to reach Tokyo-3.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 23063
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: 私の中いる自分の心
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:28 pm

Order of appearance, from what I understand.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~


Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests