Star Trek

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Star Trek

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:05 pm

The Revenant's Mark L. Smith officially closes a deal to write the new Star Trek project, which Tarantino has still left open the possibility of directing.

Smith will write the film while Tarantino goes off to film his 1969 project, which is due to be released in Summer 2019.

I'm assuming that once Smith finishes, Tarantino will do his own personal polish to spice up the dialogue.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Looking forward to nerds torturing themselves to fit all the Star Wars references into Star Trek’s cutely anachronistic “there was a worldwide war between genetic supermen and FTL already existed in the 1990s” backstory.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Discovery Season 2 trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDIlBDRkPDI

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Patrick Stewart is to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard in a new series of Star Trek.

From the little information given, it looks as though it'll be about a later chapter in Picard's life, and that it'll have production ties to the recent Star Trek: Discovery series (which I've heard mixed things about, but which I've not seen myself).
Voluntary Illusion.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Discovery is...

Honestly, I think a lot of the "feel" of pre-Abrams Star Trek came from production values. The shows naturally had to do more with less. The special effects teams were really quite innovative sometimes (and it's unfortunate that a lot of the miniature effect techniques they developed aren't used much at all anymore) but they pretty much had no choice but to make a show with ideas and characters and drama, because otherwise it'd be an hour of a model sitting still shooting colored beams at another model.

Discovery tries to get back to the old feel but doesn't really get it, and is heavily influenced by the production values as well as the somewhat corrosive effect of shock value "event television" schlock that has to surprise the shit out of the audience every five minutes.

All that said, it's not perfect but it's actually pretty clever at points and I think it at least has the potential to follow the traditional Star Trek arc of the production finding its feet after the first season and turning out something pretty good.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:48 am

Happy we are finally pressing forward past Nemesis.
I just hope they will make the Picard show look notably different from Discovery & I say that as someone who does actually like the JJ visual influence on that show.

Haven't seen Discovery yet. Really liking the actor chosen for Captain Pike in the S2 trailer. Hope he sticks around a while.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Pine & Thor are strongly rumored to be leaving Star Trek 4 over Paramount breaking their contractual salary to keep the film's budget down.
:uhh:

Not gonna happen but I personally wouldn't mind a film with Spock, Scotty, Bones, Sulu & maybe Carol Marcus & Jaylah teaming up for a science mission without Kirk or the Enterprise. Maybe have it be set while the Enterprise was being rebuilt at the end of Beyond.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:05 am

I actually would be glad if Hemsworth weren't involved in another film - his role in Star Trek '09 is a bit part, and the suggestions in the press over the past two years about the intention to bring him back in the next film to play the same character haven't been appealing, because unless their intention was to have him appear in flashbacks and or old recordings that Kirk refers to, the implication is that it'll involve some sort of time travel shenanigan that allows Kirk to meet his actual father alive. And I ain't too keen on that.

However, I would be upset if Pine isn't in the next film. I feel he grew into the role of Kirk in Beyond, and so I'd definitely like to see a continuation of his character and the crew aboard the Enterprise-A. As I inferred above, a story that draws on or refers to his father's career in Starfleet is acceptable, and likely a decent direction given some of the undertones in Beyond's script. It's an idea that has potential to bring Kirk's backstory and motivation some depth, if it's handled well - I worry that if they actually brinf Hemsworth's Dad-Kirk in to have interactions with Kirk as a grown-up, it's is going to go like one of those awkward early season episodes of The Next Generation ... good for light humour, but awful for getting a good science fiction story off the ground.

Oh, and if Simon Pegg comes in to co-write the script again, that'd be tops - the fellow has demonstrated he's got the right stuff for this film series.
Voluntary Illusion.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Star Trek XII: The Search for the Budget for Kirk
the prophecy is true

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Star Trek XII: The Search for the Budget for Kirk

I thought the subtitle was So Very Tired. :tongue:
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:40 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Star Trek XII: The Search for the Budget for Kirk

Wouldn't it be XIV and not XII?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:58 am

Let's pretend I did that on purpose for comedic effect.
the prophecy is true

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:43 am

Cause you're trying to forget Wrath of Khan light and Simon Pegg 's fanfic didn't happen?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:42 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Cause you're trying to forget Wrath of Khan light and Simon Pegg 's fanfic didn't happen?

Aren't we all?

SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:58 am

Star Trek 4 (the time travel one with Pine & Hemsworth) is officially shelved.

No word on the Quentin Tarantino script.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:06 pm

The movies mostly suck so I'm fine with that.
the prophecy is true

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:18 pm

After a somewhat promising beginning, the Kelvin Timeline has been pretty much an abject failure. I mean, even the aging Next Gen cast was able to eke out a 4th film before killing the cinematic Trek universe for the better part of a decade.

The inherent problem is them trying to mainstream Trek for mass audiences like a Star Wars property...it just doesn't work because it's a complete misreading of the fanbase and why Star Trek appeals to a certain type of sci-fi fan. Trek mainly operates in the realm of television, which allowed for character-based stories and examinations of ethics and societal mores with occasional (but usually rare) action episodes. Wars began as a space fantasy epic that was more concerned with telling an updated version of the hero's tale than providing any kind of socio-political commentary.

Through the lens of a Trek fan, epic space battles are not a requirement for a satisfying Star Trek experience. Quentin Tarantino could literally have his script be a 90-minute courtroom drama about an issue involving the Prime Directive and make it for less than $60 million, and fans would be FINE with that.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:02 pm

Shit, mainstreaming Star Wars for a mass audience isn't even working.

Design by committee makes it very hard to make something worthwhile in the end.

The other problem, which you will note as common to both Star-something franchises, is J. J. Abrams.

He's a terrible choice for a franchise movie. I remember when Star Trek came out, people criticized it as being a feature length audition to direct Star Wars. That may be true in some sense, but his work on Star Wars makes it abundantly clear: Both movies he did in those settings look, sound, and are written the way they are because Abrams didn't make Star Trek/Wars movies, he made J. J. Abrams Star Wars/Trek movies. In my view, Abrams is pretty much a Zack Snyder with the benefit of better scripts to work with and less annoying fixations. He thinks he's some kind of auteur and that things like running alongside the camera while tapping the top of it during a shot or working a highly specific image like a big red ball into the move is in some way interesting. The movies do have some interesting design points, but his Star Wars especially is borderline incoherent. He's a filmmaker who can identify things that work, but not understand how or why, so when he does imitate them, they come out weird. A non-franchise example would be Super 8, his attempt to recapture the feel of 80's Spielberg. On the surface it accomplishes what it set out to do, but when examined it makes little sense and is full of bizarre writing choices that assume the audience will have some pretty weird reactions to the story, like empathizing with a murderous alien. He's just weird.

He's like an inept Tarantino. If Tarantino made a Star Trek movie, it would be a Tarantino Star Trek movie, but it would work. I think he's a creep and I find him personally distasteful and reading about how he treated Uma Thurman has me baffled as to how he hasn't been called out, but he is good at what he does. He's capable of elevating scrpts that should be horrible, monkey-cheese random nonsense and ironic racism into actual art, which is an achievement even if his chin is repugnant.

The proof that only Tarantino can direct a Tarantino screenplay is in Crimson Tide (I think) the movie where Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman argue over nuclear missiles. He worked on it as a script doctor and there's some Tarantinoesque pop culture references in it that are just fucking cringetastic but he'd have made it work somehow.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Through the lens of a Trek fan, epic space battles are not a requirement for a satisfying Star Trek experience. Quentin Tarantino could literally have his script be a 90-minute courtroom drama about an issue involving the Prime Directive and make it for less than $60 million, and fans would be FINE with that.

It's bizarre to think that Star Trek used to be synonymous with court room dramas with everyone wearing space pajamas, and the lead of the ensemble cast was an empathetic, peaceful diplomat who broke down crying on screen more than once, and that is why it was so good.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:10 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Shit, mainstreaming Star Wars for a mass audience isn't even working.

I will argue that Star Wars was always mainstream. (It didn't become a pop-culture legend and break box office numbers by being a small, niche, underground film.) It was the Expanded Universe books, especially in the 90's, that forced the mainstream property into a niche demographic. And since we're living in a day an age where 90's kids are all grown up and don't google film history, many of the younger Star Wars fans complaining about Disney's new movies think that Star Wats had always been niche and underground, when in actuality the exact opposite is true.

Now I will concede that Disney Star Wars movies are frustrating to watch more times than not. (Especially the two most recent films.) But I think that's a result of a poor rush job on an already-mainstream series than it was a result of the studio supposedly broadening the marketability of a previously unpopular title. Trust me, Disney would not have forked over +$4 Billion for the rights to a niche and underground film series. I mean, people paid good actual money to watch 3 prequel films that weren't even all that good simply because they were called Star Wars. The only other franchise that is that obscenely successful despite its fluctuating quality is Jurassic Park.

Return to “Film and Video”