Star Trek

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Star Trek

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:00 am

Star Trek - Beyond (2016)
- Justin Lin's overall direction is great however his actual camera flow is mixed, at times how it floats above & around stuff can be beautiful and at other times border on making me dizzy which is a rarity for me.
- Jaylah's fight with Manas in particular needed less shaky cam. (still managed to be a good fight scene despite the camera)
- Idris Elba's Krall makes for a pretty damn good villain with a solid emotional motive. That said he really needed more scenes maybe even some full on flashbacks to the death of his Crew.
- Concept of him being a life force vampire is cool and made all the more unique in that he must take on the physical features of which ever species he drains.
- Sofia Boutella's Jaylah is quite distinctive, lovely & badass.
- Spock & Bones get some good scenes together, which is all the more appreciated as Bones was notably underused in Into Darkness.
- They handle Leonard Nimoy's death in a very respectful & touching manner towards the end of the film.
- Yes destroying the Enterprise is getting tiresome but it is handled magnificently here.
- The reuse of "sabatoge" song is unneeded but not nearly as cringy as I had been warned.
- Make up for various alien characters look good to great.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Star Trek Discovery has been delayed, and a number of news heads, have said it may be in trouble.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/star-tr ... 201998124/

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:55 pm

^ That writeup seems a lot more positive than the link.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:38 pm

The distribution deal for Discovery is beyond retarded.

Why should Americans have to pay an extra fee to watch it via CBS All Access when 188 other countries get it within 24 hours via Netflix?

I already subscribe to Netflix. Why should I have to pay an additional $5.99 per month for just ONE show?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Because CBS has the delusion that they can become the next Netflix rather than focusing on content creation.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Goddamn right. All Disco is is a launch show for this new streaming service.

It's cynical as fuck, but what if that were the entire reason for Disco to exist in the first place? You get a franchise with a huge built-in audience that hasn't had a proper TV series in over a decade, but whose brand has become popular again due to new feature films and use it to market your new streaming platform.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:09 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... overy.html

Jason Issacs has been named as the next Star Trek captain. The British actor is no stranger to Sci-Fi or Fantasy, having recently appeared in The OA and Star Wars Rebels as The Inquisitor. He also played Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies, some other credits also include Armageddon and Event Horizon. He has starred in many other roles on the big screen and the small in the UK and US, he appeared in a number of roles in the theatres of London.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu May 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Discovery trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM
Effects look fantastic for a tv show.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu May 18, 2017 7:08 pm

OH MY GAWD.

Is that lizard dude one of the Gorn?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu May 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Watched the trailer.

Perhaps it's because we haven't had a Trek series for roughly a dozen years, but the visual aesthetic and production design smacks heavily of Kelvin-timeline Trek. It's jarring and kind of unwelcome given that this is supposed to take place in the Prime (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT) timeline. The fact that they just bumped up the episode count from the originally announced 13 to 15 episodes could potentially be a good sign--one that indicates CBS has faith enough in the project to chip in $10+ million more to get the 2 additional episodes made (each episode is said to cost around $6 million to produce).

As of right now, I'm trying to remain cautiously neutral.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Thu May 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Oh lord it's another prequel, guess i'll have to wait and see but that trailer didn't impress at all.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu May 18, 2017 10:03 pm

No... just no.

I don't like the look of the Klingons... and if this is the main timeline (which it was purported to be) according to ST:ENT season 4 they shouldn't have ridges, but here they have the JJ ridges (or just JJ Klingons in general) which sucks. So are we getting an expansion of the movie franchise instead of a main timeline show? Somehow I see this series making ST:ENT look far better than it has by fans of the series in the past. And is the woman supposed to be a Vulcan/Human hybrid or just a human?

And the writing is bad... yes from the snippets we had, even factoring in the writing of all the series at some point or another... his species can sense death? Can we expect a "Sixth Sense" type episode where its revealed at the end he was talking to a dead guy the whole time? The first officer (who appears to be the main character) is basically Will Riker, after seven years of being someone's first officer, they should have their own ship. And what's the premise of the show? With ENT, TOS, and TNG we had "These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise..." DS9 was Star Trek Babylon 5 (and had the Defiant and lots of ambiguous morals), and VOY was the "Lost in Space" equivalent with all those Borg. If the title and ship name are just a simple pun on making new discoveries its a weak title.

In short... we're getting a JJ Star Trek TV show. While the movies are enjoyable (in an outlandish kind of way), I don't see this show as being such. And yes I'm nitpicking, but the first Trek series in over a decade should look (and be) better than a cheap imitation of a reboot of a show. As for the increase in episodes, I see it more as a money grab for CBS than anything else considering the show will only be available on thier "All Access" channel.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 19, 2017 1:33 am

Oh, come now. There isn't enough material there to judge the quality of the writing, and the look of it is anything but cheap (quite the opposite, in fact). I had a "Wait, what?" reaction to the Klingons myself, same as everyone else, but apart from that it looks like an interesting show. It's certainly got me interested enough to give it a shot, which is more than I can say for anything Trek since Enterprise.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 19, 2017 2:22 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Because CBS has the delusion that they can become the next Netflix rather than focusing on content creation.

Yeah you only have to see the train wreck they did with OUAT (once up on a time) to see that they are clueless and have zero understanding of fandom and fanbase and pander to bad writers rather than asking themselves is this content good? Hence why I'm so happy they never got Discovery and Netflix got it.

On the trailer I just feel that everyone should wait for the follow up trailers because I think this one feeling a little jarred is because they have not finished the full editing process yet plus I think people should give this the benefit of the doubt as both Voyager and Next Generation had teething issues in the first season before they really hit there stride and this franchise series wise has spent a lot of time sleeping so I'm sure everyone on the set is trying to find there feet again.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri May 19, 2017 3:54 am

I never actually watched all of Enterprise nor have I seen much of the Original Series so I have no idea what is going on with the Klingons? They're very different from what I think of when I think of a Klingon so that's really jarring but aside from that I guess I... liked the trailer?

I think like Bagheera said there isn't really a lot to go off of there in terms of how it'll be. I mean Trek is fairly notorious for having some dreadful stuff in its first season as it is. Some of the worst episodes are in TNG and DS9s first season so I'm not expecting instant brilliance with this.

I will admit though a part of me does wish that this was set after Nemesis/Voy/DS9 era rather than the Pre-Kirk era but it is what it is. I'll give it a chance and hopefully it'll be good.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri May 19, 2017 6:55 am

TNG, which is ultimately the show that was responsible for kickstarting the franchise and extending it nearly another two decades non-stop, had not 1 but 2 seasons of episodes that were mostly mediocre or just plain bad. This is something that is agreed upon by mostly everyone. The fact that it got renewed after airing a glorified clip show at the end of its second season is a fucking miracle. In the 40+ episodes of those first 2 seasons, only around a half dozen or so are actually really good.

This is all to say, give Discovery a chance. TNG needed more than 2 years before it started churning out seasons that had overall good quality. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if CBS will be as patient with Disco.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri May 19, 2017 9:32 am

Yes, TNG required two seasons to iron out the shitty writing, TOS had its foibles through its run, DS9 did well once the second season hit its stride, VOY was inconsistent all around, and ENT was getting into its stride by season 4 when it was canceled.

I doubt if DIS does poorly, CBS will sink any additional time into it.

And I did say I was nitpicking. However upon further research, according to press releases the setting of the series 10 years before TOS (which began in 2265) puts this series in 2255, 10 years after the Enterprise has launched in the main timeline, and is under the command of Christopher Pike. Now we know this because the original pilot for TOS "The Cage" takes place in 2254.

However, with the uniform design (which is inaccurate), the use of the standard starfleet insignia, which in the main timeline was only used for the Enterprise and previously for the Kelvin, as well as the appa}ent change in division colors to precious medals from the long used red/yellow/blue scheme of all the other series.

Also, the timeline placement of the show could be better. Perhaps they could have done a post-Nemesis series, or a series set somewhere between ENT and TOS, leaving less of a chance for having younger cameos from the TOS characters.

All this leads be to believe that the series is in the JJ-verse rather than the main timeline we've been lead to believe it is. And do any actual Trek fans want a JJ-verse show?

I'll see after the premiere if I should give Discovery a chance, which is the same thing I did with ENT. Broken Bow was interesting enough to get me intrigued even though the prequel setting was different at the time.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri May 19, 2017 9:37 am

And do any actual Trek fans want a JJ-verse show?

I do and I'll tell you why. I think Trek generally always does better as a TV Show than a movie and I think exploring the fallout of what happened in that universe could be really interesting as a TV Show.

I think they could maybe do a lot with that universe and see how things might be affected down the line. Maybe the Enterprise B or the C wouldn't have gone the way they did?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 19, 2017 9:52 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:And do any actual Trek fans want a JJ-verse show?

I want the new directions it could take because its an alternative universe and they could do a lot of new things with it but I do not want the bad writing poor character development and naked stripping scenes that came with in to darkness movie and was also constant in the Enterprise series. Also I don't want any more Shakespeare, Robin hood or Sherlock Holmes references if they have a holodeck. As I felt that was lazy even in next generation as they would have there own literature and poets in that time frame and might not care for older literature other than in schooling where you get that one off go write about a 20th century you like.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri May 19, 2017 10:11 am

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Maybe the Enterprise B or the C wouldn't have gone the way they did?

Other than what we see in Generations, I thought there wasn't anymore said about B. Am I mistaken here.
Also I don't want any more Shakespeare, Robin hood or Sherlock Holmes references if they have a holodeck. As I felt that was lazy even in next generation as they would have there own literature and poets in that time frame and might not care for older literature other than in schooling where you get that one off go write about a 20th century you like.

It's Patrick Stewart. What the hell are you are going to do? :shrug:

For the record, I thought the trailer was visually interesting. The acting, as much as they showed us, seems decent. I'm going to withhold final judgement until at least more trailers come out, if not the premiere. We'll probably get more info at Comic-con.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Return to “Film and Video”