Did Rei II have a love for Shinji?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2781
Joined: May 08, 2007
Location: Fran Sancisco

Did Rei II have a love for Shinji?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue May 08, 2007 11:25 pm

During the encounter with Armisael, there were many hints that Rei II might've loved or had a crush on Shinji, like when she asked herself if she wanted to be one with him. This can be interpreted in many ways, but I think, being an optimist, that she loved him, not like in a lustful way, but like a pure love.

And....also, I think that Rei sees a little bit of Gendo inside Shinji, which can also signal some kind of attraction to him, as Rei was made from bits of Yui Ikari as well. Yes i know, this is incest and what not, but please put that aside for now. Scrupulous people, beware!

Oh, and i mention Rei II only because although Rei III did get Rei's soul, she seems to not continue what Rei II and Shinji grew together - a relationship.

So...yeah, these are up in the air now.

And i forgotten to introduce myself in my last posts...so

Yo, Im a big otaku of Rei (NOT SEXUALLY!...well...mebe just a wittle bit) hence my username. I joined Eva Monkey after reading Jonathan Wang's article on Rei (search for it on the main page, its one kickass essay). I am an intelligent people, but not as intelligent as some of you genious-people lurking in the forums, so plz be patient when i screw up a thread's atmosphere. I might be able to add to the convo.

See you round the strings...i mean, threads =P

TheAyanamiOtaku


lol...i am an intelligent people! XD
Last edited by TheAyanamiOtaku on Thu May 10, 2007 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 10086
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Tue May 08, 2007 11:41 pm

wow.....i dont think i ever actually introduced myself to anyone here
i just started talking. lol

anywayz, theres more evidence to support that, like in EoE, Rei totally ditched Gendo for Shinji

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2781
Joined: May 08, 2007
Location: Fran Sancisco

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed May 09, 2007 12:00 am

*sigh*

well....it just came into my mind when i watched the ep23....

i was just wondering if anybody else wondered about that too. Didn't really want it to change into something regarding Rei and Shinji as a couple.

All i was thinking was that the stuff that Rei said and did...like crying, said a lot about her inner feelings that what her facial expressions did. well, if it does get locked up in the EMF graveyard than i am at least grateful that i type a bit of what i thought about.

and i also want to hear what other people think about this too.

SOMEBODY SAVE THIS THREAD! lol....
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 10086
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Wed May 09, 2007 12:03 am

but those feelings arent real
isnt Rei a shell with a soul in it just trying to be human?

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2781
Joined: May 08, 2007
Location: Fran Sancisco

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed May 09, 2007 12:46 am

to answer sachiel_13, Rei is a shell, containing the soul of lilith, who doesn't really understand humans because well....she's an Angel. So I guess when the NERV buddies took her from her body (i dont noe hou that happened, guess that belongs in another thread), and placed her inside Rei, she didn't know how to display emotion, because she didn't know what they were.

so, yeah, you are kinda right sachiel, but those feelings are real. Shinji slowly helped Rei develop emotions and feelings. take episode 6. Shinji told Rei to smile, but im sure the suggestion went much further down than just...heh....face value =P

anyways....i guess u could say that lilith developed some emotion, and fell in love with Shinji without realizing it.

i think.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20479
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 09, 2007 1:40 am

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:awesomely powahful R/S-shipper


Get it right, please : I'm the A/S anti-shipper.

If we stick to analysing Rei'IIs emotional state, then this is an entirely valid topic distinct from shipping.

From the anime, I would say that her affections, such as they are, are focussed on Gendo (ep#5, ep#23). The manga, by the arch Rei-fanboy, includes more suggestions that she does have some sort of feelings for the younger Ikari it its separate canon.

Edit - fixed episode typo
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Wed May 09, 2007 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 8005
Joined: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed May 09, 2007 1:52 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
From the anime, I would say that her affections, such as they are, are focussed on Gendo (ep#5, ep#25).
Could've fooled me when she ripped his hand off to go to Shinji because he was "calling her". I'd certainly say Rei's initial feelings were towards Gendo. But somewhere along the way Shinji worked his way into her feelings too. She was confused (notice the "Arigato, words of gratitude" speach), and wasn't sure who she REALLY had felings for. By EoE, I think her choice was pretty clear.

I still think the Rei/Eva color link between Gendo and Shinji is pretty interesting. Most will pass it off as just coincidence (like all the possible NGE color symbolism), but it starts out as an Orangish/Yellow (same as Gendo's glasses), and then after she saves Shinji, and he rips open the entry plugs and does his crying bit inside where she smiles at him in the end, her Eva gets a "makeover" and is now all of a sudden a light blue (why didn't they just keep it orange)?

But yeah, it's just coincidence, never mind I said it before THAT can of worms is opened again. :)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20479
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 09, 2007 1:57 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Could've fooled me when she ripped his hand off to go to Shinji because he was "calling her".


That was Rei III. See also correction (23, not 25) above.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 8005
Joined: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed May 09, 2007 2:02 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
That was Rei III. See also correction (23, not 25) above.
Oops, hehe, I missed the "II" in the title. :D

I don't think there are as many differences between the "Reis" as people think. We're never fully informed of how much of her memory she loses. But I think there's a lot of evidence that Rei II had feelings for both Shinji and Gendo. If not, why Rei III's sudden revolt against Gendo in EoE?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 46
Posts: 11811
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Pittsburgh/New York City
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ornette » Wed May 09, 2007 2:11 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:
From the anime, I would say that her affections, such as they are, are focussed on Gendo (ep#5, ep#25).
Could've fooled me when she ripped his hand off to go to Shinji because he was "calling her". I'd certainly say Rei's initial feelings were towards Gendo.

That was Rei III, though (note the title of the thread).

But somewhere along the way Shinji worked his way into her feelings too. She was confused (notice the "Arigato, words of gratitude" speach), and wasn't sure who she REALLY had felings for. By EoE, I think her choice was pretty clear.

Wasn't very clear to me. The transition between Rei II and III, she didn't even remember saving his life. The "words of gratitude" bit never struck me as anything except "someone thanked me for something, nobody's ever done that before, I don't know how to react to that" and not so much that Shinji was thanking her. A better example would probably be Toji saying something to her about her having something for Shinji. I can't see it as romantic love, but she felt that he was important to her, more important than Gendo in the end.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 8005
Joined: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed May 09, 2007 2:46 am

Ornette wrote:

Wasn't very clear to me. The transition between Rei II and III, she didn't even remember saving his life. The "words of gratitude" bit never struck me as anything except "someone thanked me for something, nobody's ever done that before, I don't know how to react to that" and not so much that Shinji was thanking her. A better example would probably be Toji saying something to her about her having something for Shinji. I can't see it as romantic love, but she felt that he was important to her, more important than Gendo in the end.
Uhhhh, that was Rei remarking about HER thanking HIM - not the other way around:

"Arigato. Words of gratitude. Words I've never used. I'd never even said them to him."

Pretty clear hint that she's mental-monologuing some kind of feelings for Shinji at that point.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 46
Posts: 11811
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Pittsburgh/New York City
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ornette » Wed May 09, 2007 2:58 am

Yep, I got that part confused. Slow reply (Tines beat me to it) was from me looking for a reference to the Rei II/III transition (which i couldn't find) and must have still had that on my mind when I got to the later half of my post.

Ejinathan
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 125
Joined: Jan 09, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ejinathan » Wed May 09, 2007 3:11 am

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:*sigh*

well....it just came into my mind when i watched the ep23....
....


That episode is one of my fav and i'm a Rei fan too.
I alrdy saw it more ten 100 times that episode just because she realize that she loves Shinji and also for her tears. And trying to ignore it makes it so cute.
It's damn beautifull to see how Rei try to keep her beating heart from Shinji.

An Angel that loves a human ,like that kid is really becoming a legend because he's the only one where an Angel get attracted too.

(no wonder why the makers of eureka 7 made something like this)

Such stories personally i think they are one of the most emotives ones
even if you have nothing left, just try to smile.
Even Goku smiles when he's about to die:D

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed May 09, 2007 6:14 am

I've always been a fan of the pairing for some reason, but when it really comes down to it, i'm for Shinji x A nice normal girl that has absolutely nothing to do with NERV or anything fucked up like that. I too am against SxA.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

V
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 2000
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
Location: @the end of the universe

kill the creature!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby V » Wed May 09, 2007 6:57 am

Rei: I bring you love!
NERV technician 1: Well, by "love" do you mean the love of a man for a woman, or the "love" of a man for a fine Cuban cigar?
Rei: Uh...I bring you love!
NERV technician 2: Hey, define "love"!
NERV technician 1: KILL THE CREATURE!!!
Rei: Ahhh!
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Ejinathan
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 125
Joined: Jan 09, 2007

Re: kill the creature!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ejinathan » Wed May 09, 2007 12:04 pm

V wrote:Rei: I bring you love!
NERV technician 1: Well, by "love" do you mean the love of a man for a woman, or the "love" of a man for a fine Cuban cigar?
Rei: Uh...I bring you love!
NERV technician 2: Hey, define "love"!
NERV technician 1: KILL THE CREATURE!!!
Rei: Ahhh!


rofl

Well i can imagine this to happen, but if she said "i love you vs Shinji" i gues he would stand there like doing nothing.

its better like that

Rei: i love you
Shinji: .... i feel embarased, Rei i didn't know..
Rei: stop being gay
Shinji; uh ... what ?O°O
Rei: tell me i'm the most beautifull girl in the universe
Shinji: what's happening with you Rei ? (uber timid )
Rei: found this piece of paper in your bedroom
Shinji falls down BANG.

:D:D:D
even if you have nothing left, just try to smile.
Even Goku smiles when he's about to die:D

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2781
Joined: May 08, 2007
Location: Fran Sancisco

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed May 09, 2007 6:02 pm

Alright, im NOT letting this thread turn into a fighting match. Rei II is too important to me =P That SHIT belongs in the unreleated section of this lovely forum. There is NOTHING to argue about. Executor (love the name!), I appreciate you for doin that, and Kaminoyouni has a right to believe whatever he wants to believe. Let me say this again: IF you guys want to argue, ARGUE SOMEWHERR ELSE! Because Rei II is too important to me =D ... wait...I've said that twice. XD oops.


Returning to the point,

I think that if Rei actually said it, then Asuka would panic and go Naoko Akagi over Rei II, or mebe Asuka goes beserk and kills Rei, Shinji, and herself (coz she hates everybody o.o) because we all know that if Rei said 'I love you" to Shinji, than he would totally go for her.

I know I would.

Shinji is definately NOT timid. I mean, he was screaming and yelling and whining all through...er...episode 25-26 and in End of Evangelion. He's just maladjusted, which makes him even more interesting, because he always has a somewhat emo spin on everything. Remember all of the stuff in episodes 25-26 and some of the stuff in End of Evangelion were in Shinji's head. So he imagined all that.

Returning to the point (again),

When she cries in ep23, Rei, possibly speaking as Lilith, questions why she is crying, because Angels normally do not experience emotions, as they probably would get in the way of trying to initiate the Third Impact. I think she realizes at that moment that she loves Shinji, but cannot do anything about it, as she already pulled the self-destruct lever. I wonder if that is the reason why her most powerful drive is the death drive: she had nothing to love or to cling onto. Ah, another reason that's just as possible is because she wants to revert back to her Angel state. But it she really wants to return to nothingness, as shown in ep 25. But! She also mentions that she used to not mind dying, but not she fears it. Such things happen when someone falls in love.

(see this website for more info regarding death drives...and no, im not talking about Star Wars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_instinct )

Rei II is probably the best Rei out of all of them, even tho Rei III did revolt from Gendo's ...herm, grasp , but that was probably because she still retained part of her memories and feelings towards people. If Rei III was just purely Lilith's soul, then she would not remember anything about her relationship with Shinji, and would just move along with the Instrumentality.

But she didn't.

Because of her experiences in Rei II, she did not want to.

Rei: I am not your doll.

And that proves that she, at the very least, had some feelings reserved for Shinji.

Shinji worked hard for it too. Manual labor (cleaning up Rei's room) and weight lifting (picking Rei up in ep 1)...hes a stud now, and Rei II could not resist him any longer! no im just kidding.

Oh, about that scene when Shinji cleans up Rei's room: she blushes! She is flattered that somebody would go out of their way to help her. And then she has this long talk with herself about "thank you"'s definition and stuff. The discovery process for Rei realizing that she really liked Shinji was very slow, but in the end, it was definitely worth it.
Last edited by TheAyanamiOtaku on Wed May 09, 2007 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed May 09, 2007 7:17 pm

Err. Shinji is very timid. Shinji is afraid of Rei. Shinji is fucked up in the head. Why would you think casually dating a clone of your mother of whom you've seen other clones of her melt to oblivion in front of your eyes would be healthy for Shinji? What kind of relationship would that be? In a fantasy world devoid of all emotional reasoning, it could work (Eva IS a fictional universe, but besides that), but that's the problem I have with it. Shinji would gain nothing but damage with a relationship like that.

Refer to my "Shinji X Nice Normal Non-NERV Related Girl" post.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Wed May 09, 2007 7:24 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Err. Shinji is very timid. Shinji is afraid of Rei. Shinji is fucked up in the head. Why would you think casually dating a clone of your mother of whom you've seen other clones of her melt to oblivion in front of your eyes would be healthy for Shinji? What kind of relationship would that be? In a fantasy world devoid of all emotional reasoning, it could work (Eva IS a fictional universe, but besides that), but that's the problem I have with it. Shinji would gain nothing but damage with a relationship like that.

Refer to my "Shinji X Nice Normal Non-NERV Related Girl" post.


Yea but thats boing :)
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Posts: 994
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Texas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:33 pm

I wub Rei!
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests