New boxset of Evangelion.

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
toReason
Embryo

New boxset of Evangelion.

•      
  •      

Postby toReason » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:40 am

I recieved an e-mail from cdjapan today/this morning about a new limited edition boxset of Eva due out this august.

[url]http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIBA-91401[/url]

What I found of particular interest is some info in the blurb :

and bonus disc with creditless intros and outros, advanced video, advanced video for the upcoming new theatrical feature, and footage from the upcoming live-action film.

Am I late in recieving this news? Does anyone know more about this footage, escpecially the live action?
*TBA*

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:33 am

Someone probably goofed up the translation. It might either be the Alternate Live Action Sequence or the videos that ADV included in Ressurection and Genesis Reborn. I doubt they've kept filming of Eva live action a secret. They haven't formally announced a director or anything as of yet.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:43 am

I kind of hold out small hope that they have new concept art or whatever for live action.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:56 am

It's just another limited edition release to cash in on the people who weren't able to get the previous limited edition release. Although, I did read some complaints that the first box was a little flimsy, so perhaps they will at least correct that aspect.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:01 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Someone probably goofed up the translation. It might either be the Alternate Live Action Sequence or the videos that ADV included in Ressurection and Genesis Reborn.

For the moment, I'm going to guess that they 'mistranslated' the descriptions of Bonus Disc contents.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:41 am

Is there a european or american box set with progressive footage? Mine's the american Platinum Thinpack, and while I'm content with the content, I'd pay for a new one if it wasn't interlaced.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:43 am

Kaysow wrote:Is there a european or american box set with progressive footage?

No.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:44 pm

Feared as much.

+ it's not like they tell us stuff like that in the product description. Only progressive box I've got is Elfen Lied.

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:01 pm

Kaysow wrote:Feared as much.

+ it's not like they tell us stuff like that in the product description. Only progressive box I've got is Elfen Lied.

If the DVD says "NTSC-M" then it's interlaced, doesn't matter if it's anime or live action (although with live action it's harder to tell). Actually, I *think* all NTSC is interlaced, as opposed to PAL which is progressive. While with some media, the interlacing is VERY noticeable when you play it on a player that doesn't output an NTSC signal (like on your computer), others are less noticeable. This is caused by the mastering and encoding of the DVD from the source (film, for example). DVDs must have a fixed framerate (29 something for NTSC) and the source material usually doesn't match. Newer anime, ones that were done completely on computers, have an easier transition to different video standards since all the frames are already on a computer and can easily be manipulated (although it isn't always the case that the R1 distributor does anything about this). That's probably why your Elfen Lied DVD looks less interlaced than platinum: the encoding and the source.

Note that R2 and PAL DVD's also have interlacing, this is completely the source/encoding and not the video standard.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:20 pm

Oh I have seen interlacing on R2 DVDs. It's not just Japan that uses it. It's impossible not to be bothered by it when you rip DVDs and make AMVs.

For turning 23fps into 29fps without making things look choppy, I guess it's a useful technique. But it's a massacre.

So there's no code to identify progressive? Bummer, but not unexpected. At least big, expensive restorations seem to bring a change in that. Akira got one, and it's not interlaced. Neither are any of Disney's special edition DVDs.

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:58 pm

BrikHaus wrote:It's just another limited edition release to cash in on the people who weren't able to get the previous limited edition release. <snip>
I second that.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:59 pm

There are TWO releases of this:

Somebody named E from EML wrote:IIRC, there were two releases of this version, one by
King Records, and one by GAiNAX.

> 2) The Second Impact DVD Box Sets collecting the
> series as it aired on
> TV-Tokyo
> 3) The Renewal of Evangelion DVD set
> 4) This upcoming set.

Actually, it seems there are two flavours of the
upcoming set:

Evangelion DVD box '07 edition
http://www.evastore.jp/index.cgi?rm=detail&id=1404
29,400 yen
To be released 1 August 2007

Evangelion DVD box Reissue edition with reference to
new 5.1ch sound and new telecine from component
digital new master
http://eva.yahoo.co.jp/gentei/dvdbox.html
41,790 yen
To be released at the end of August 2007

(Sounds like an opportunity for ADV to re-release
Evangelion yet again :P )

E
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:32 pm

This looks like the old renewal red boxset. Will this one also bring the books that one had?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Pimp Gendo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pimp Gendo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:40 am

Kaysow wrote:Is there a european or american box set with progressive footage? Mine's the american Platinum Thinpack, and while I'm content with the content, I'd pay for a new one if it wasn't interlaced.

Agreed. Right now there are only two things that would make me buy Eva on DVD again: 24fps non-interlaced discs, and a remastered Episode 16 from the hopefully-found original negatives. What I *really* want is an HD release, but i'm not holding my breath for that. (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig looks stunning in HD, by the way)
OH BABY

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:55 am

Yeah, in actuality, it's not like I mind buying new boxes that much. As long as there's significant improvement to warrant it's release.

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:44 am

AchtungAffen wrote:This looks like the old renewal red boxset. Will this one also bring the books that one had?

I'm guessing this sucker is exactly the same as the Renewal boxset. It looks the same, and has the same special features. The extra stuff previewing the new films is probably on another disc they'll just tape to the side of the box, like how you get exclusive bonus discs at Best Buy or Circuit City.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:11 pm

.....Episode 16 was NOT remastered??? No wonder the coloring looked so white/faded at the start of the episode! :shock:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:32 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:.....Episode 16 was NOT remastered???

I think the little DVD booklets talked about it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

tian2992
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tian2992 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:39 am

HD would Rule....

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:01 pm

tian2992 wrote:HD would Rule....

My thoughts exactly.

Given the region encoding for HD/Blu-Ray that puts the US and Japan together, I have to wonder if the Japanese distributors have some sort of agreement with ADV not to infringe on each others' turf just yet.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”