Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:26 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:I been re watching the original Dragonball again. Been Watching off & on up to the mid-60's right now
I think sometimes DBZ gets so much love we tend at times to forget about Dragonball :irked: As much as I LOVE
DBZ, OG dragonball can outshine it
with some of the killer story arcs
like Red Ribbon & King Piccolo.

In my opinion Dragon Ball destroys Dragon Ball Z. :lol:
But if you prefer DBZ I respect that.
Also when I talk about DB I mean the manga. The combat is better in the manga. Filler made it boring in the anime. The jokes work better and the pacing is better. You have short 15 page chapters.

The reason I got into Kill la Kill was because I heard it was a hommage to shonen battle manga. And it really reminds me of the Red Ribbon arc (in some aspects).

Edit: Actually...I think I have never talked about DB on this board.
Well, it's one of my favourite things ever.
I had seen some DB on TV, but never the entire thing. When I was 12 (I felt like shit during that time period) I began buying the Ultimate Edition. I was so excited when I went to the store. The reason I bought them was to read all those DBZ arcs, but finally I would know the original story (I only knew it was "weird" and had humanoid animals). I loved the first search for the Dragon Balls, but it's with Roshi's training where I fell in love with DB. The RR arc had the perfect mix of stupidity and emotive moments. The Tao Pai Pai part was so intense.
Then...the first timeskip. I like the whole Piccolo arc, but it began to transform into DBZ. And it's then that I noticed that DBZ had nothing to do with the original idea. I mean the Piccolo arc still has a lot of DB, but slowly it turns more into pure combat. And the Saiyans with their power levels and stuff.

Every time I see adult Goku on TV, I just think "Man you were a lot funnier when you had a monkey tail". That sums up my thoughts.

Puf Puf! :bigeyes:

Edit 2:
Couldn't agree more about the Vegeta thing.
When the guy is first introduced he is eating the inhabitants of a planet. Intelligent beings. He's a monster. Him hooking up with Bulma also destroys the Saiyan arc. You view the character in a different way. And what about Yamcha? How can you destroy that pairing? What does this mean? That not all love is eternal or something? Is dis suddenly sirius¿

Also, when the Android arc starts. Goku decides to sacrifice...everybody that dies during the Android arc because he wants to fight (they could stop the Androids looking for their location). Wasn't this the guy that could ride the Flying Nimbus because of his pure heart? Krilin couldn't ride it because martial arts was his way of getting attention of girls. I'm not asking for concistency in a series in which characters lose the ability to smell when they are reminded they have no nose.
It's just that... WHY DID YOU DESTROY GOKU? This kid was my hero. And he turns into an asshole. Abandons his family to fight, sacrifices people to fight, fight, fight because that was cool I guess. Shonen Jump needs those sales...
SPOILER: Show
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:33 am

Big News

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:36 am

^Battle of gods 2?

Yayy!

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:00 am

Ugh. Genuinely, it was just yesterday I decided to type in to see if anything had been announced, and there was nothing of the sort. I just had a feeling they would do another film soon. Today I read this, did not expect it.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:21 am

Translated from V-Jump:

- Akira Toriyama will write the script & designs new characters

- Movie will open during the Golden Week string of holidays next spring
Last edited by Dataprime on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:19 am

Whenever I try to leave, they pull me back in. Proably will suck like 90% of DBZ movies, but it'll fun I'm sure.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Vegeta better be the hero or kick some serious ass in this new movie. He long past due for a shining moment in the series, more so as well since GT raped his character and reduced him to laughing stock and low level trash.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:20 am

Apparent tagline for the new movie:

"The Whole Universe Has Been Waiting. A Godly Dimension of Battle Begins."

- Suicidahlia

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:07 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ama/.76681 I'm down with the "utterly funny" story. :smirk:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'm down with the "utterly funny" story. :smirk:

Me too! People often forget that Dragonball started off as a gag-comedy manga and wasn't as action
heavy like the latter part of the series is known for.

- Suicidahlia

Wanderlust
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Wanderlust » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:17 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ama/.76681 I'm down with the "utterly funny" story. :smirk:

Same here. I've always enjoyed Toriyama's wacky sense of humor and it was great to see it make a return in the previous movie, after the DBZ portion of the story basically gave up on humor to focus entirely on the action. Battle of Gods was basically DBZ with DB's more lighthearted atmosphere, which I found to be enjoyable and look forward to seeing more of in this new picture.
"The gift of words is the gift of deception and illusion."

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:51 pm

I liked it too give it bout a 8 out of 10, the dbz movies tend to be the weaker point of the franchise, but this one was probably the best along with the revenge of cooler. Still needs more vegeta though.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Teaser trailer for 2015 movie

Translated Text:

SPOILER: Show
Text: The entire universe eagerly awaits
Text: Original concept, scripts, character design
Text: Akira Toriyama
Shenlong: Now, say your wish. I will grant you any one wish only.
Text: There's someone I want you to revive.
Shenlong: Your wish has been granted.
Text: The worst wish in history. Now, despair begins.'

- Suicidahlia

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:28 pm

Jw does anybody know the theme playing in the background when goku is charging the spirit bomb to use against buu and the people are chanting satan? I know its part of the original Japanese audio. I searched forever and can't seem to find it.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Could it be this?

- Suicidahlia

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:17 pm

^YES thank you that is it. I been searching for like a year now. Mr.Prime you are awesome.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

My theory is awesome. BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:54 am

I have a theory:

The DBZ characters are Digimon. They live in a digital reality.

Characters die but don't go away, instant transmission where Goku can somehow move faster than the speed of light, the universe is administrated by 4 deities, with 4 separate domains.

Characters "evolve" when they emote, Saiyans, Freiza, and several others have multiple transformations, Fusions are like DNA digivolving, where the combination is far more powerful than another creature on its own at a similiar stage (e.g. Super Vegito is more powerful than other characters at Super Saiyan 2 or 3, just as Paildramon is more powerful than most ultimates). Certain characters can absorb the power (or "data") of others, making themselves stronger and copying their abilities.

...and when going to Super Saiyan 4, Goku was jumping stages from his child form. The child form in Digimon is what we in the West call "rookie". In otherwords, he's warp digivolving.

And while typing this, I realized THIS WORKS BETTER WITH BLEACH! :lol:
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:42 am

DBZ is back on Toonami
Party like it's 1999!! :headbang:

- Suicidahlia

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:48 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:DBZ is back on Toonami
Party like it's 1999!! :headbang:

Dish stopped getting cartoon network a few weeks ago so no more toonami here. Time to cancel 1999, Y2k happened and now humanity has been destroyed.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: My theory is awesome. BD

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:51 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I have a theory:

The DBZ characters are Digimon. They live in a digital reality.

Characters die but don't go away, instant transmission where Goku can somehow move faster than the speed of light, the universe is administrated by 4 deities, with 4 separate domains.

Characters "evolve" when they emote, Saiyans, Freiza, and several others have multiple transformations, Fusions are like DNA digivolving, where the combination is far more powerful than another creature on its own at a similiar stage (e.g. Super Vegito is more powerful than other characters at Super Saiyan 2 or 3, just as Paildramon is more powerful than most ultimates). Certain characters can absorb the power (or "data") of others, making themselves stronger and copying their abilities.

...and when going to Super Saiyan 4, Goku was jumping stages from his child orm. The child form in Digimon is what we in the West call "rookie". In otherwords, he's warp digivolving.

And while typing this, I realized THIS WORKS BETTER WITH BLEACH! :lol:

This theory would make for an Epic crossover fanfic!

Return to “Anime and Manga”