Of Yui, 3I, and Other Tangents

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Good_Noodle
Adam

Of Yui, 3I, and Other Tangents

•      
  •      

Postby Good_Noodle » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:13 pm

Split from "Gendo's Mysterious Induction", lol. --Reichu

Ugh, this is making my head hurt again...
Lemme see if I got this right... Yui was anti-instrumentality from the beginning and brought Gendo and Fuyutsuki along, correct? They develop evas to defend humanity from angels, but not take part in SEELE's plan, but after Yui was lost in Eva-01, Gendo changed plans and wanted to proceed with instrumentality, or at least his own version that would reunite him with ol' Yui.

Did I get that right? It's been bugging me for a while.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:46 pm

Good_Noodle wrote:Did I get that right? It's been bugging me for a while.

Yui opposes complementation, but her goals involved initiating Third Impact anyway, but having a different outcome for it than SEELE intended. If Gendou changed plans, it didn't involve going along with SEELE, but seemingly simply being with Yui forever. But this may or may not have been part of their initial agreed plan.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Good_Noodle
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Good_Noodle » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:06 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Yui opposes complementation, but her goals involved initiating Third Impact anyway, but having a different outcome for it than SEELE intended.

Ah, interesting... any idea on what her original goals might be? I don't remember Yui being interested in bringing the Third Impact... Hmm, time to watch that latter episodes again.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Good_Noodle wrote:Ugh, this is making my head hurt again...
Lemme see if I got this right... Yui was anti-instrumentality from the beginning and brought Gendo and Fuyutsuki along, correct? They develop evas to defend humanity from angels, but not take part in SEELE's plan, but after Yui was lost in Eva-01, Gendo changed plans and wanted to proceed with instrumentality, or at least his own version that would reunite him with ol' Yui.

Did I get that right? It's been bugging me for a while.

What? Where you get this from!!!! I never really understood instrumentality, so if someone could post a link, that would be great :)

Interesting way to put it though...

I would have to say, it's Yui being disappointed with Gendo, for what he's done to Shinji, and for going away from the goals they had initially set.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:56 pm

just watch EoE more carefully and its easy to see thats what he wanted.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:23 am

Fearthebait wrote:just watch EoE more carefully and its easy to see thats what he wanted.

Gendo wanted to be with Yui, was there anything else?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:39 am

Opteron-O3 wrote:
Fearthebait wrote:just watch EoE more carefully and its easy to see thats what he wanted.

I believe he also wanted to save money on his car insurance by switching to Geiko.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:22 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote:
Opteron-O3 wrote:

I believe he also wanted to save money on his car insurance by switching to Geiko.

Roflcopter! :roll:

But really, that was it right?

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:43 pm

yah, thats why he did everything. Now i am at a crossroads, end the discussion here, or go into detail about how his selfishness caused the events within the series using complicated vocabulary.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:46 pm

Fearthebait wrote:yah, thats why he did everything. Now i am at a crossroads, end the discussion here, or go into detail about how his selfishness caused the events within the series using complicated vocabulary.

I'd like to hear your version, that way we can continue the discussion. Maybe it'll help me with my essay :D
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:52 pm

Gendo only cared about himself in the regard that he would destroy/liquify the whole world in return for being with Yui again. Its obvious he had severe selfishness issues that up until his death he never overcame.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:14 pm

Fearthebait wrote:Gendo only cared about himself in the regard that he would destroy/liquify the whole world in return for being with Yui again. Its obvious he had severe selfishness issues that up until his death he never overcame.

Reasonable point. That leading to Yui coming back and eating him.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

If I'm repeating myself, just ignore this! ^^;

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:41 pm

Part of the reason Gendou was so Yui-focused (I think, at least) was the fact that "I'm not used to being liked.", since Yui thought he was "a sweet person." (Which I think proves that Gendou isn't as "evil" as people make him out to be, the man DOES have a heart, he just doesn't want to always show it!) But with not being liked, hmm...Now who else does that sound like? ("What'll I do if people hate me? What should I do?") Can you say like father, like son?

Plus that one pic of Gendou from the OP (and 21'?) looks a bit like Shinji when older.... (Though I personally think Shinji would look MUCH cuter than "daddy-dearest" is. :P)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:08 pm

interesting point, i just wish we knew even a tiny bit more about young Gendo

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:39 pm

Fearthebait wrote:Gendo only cared about himself in the regard that he would destroy/liquify the whole world in return for being with Yui again.

Liquifying all life appeared to be part of Yui's plan as well.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Good_Noodle
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Good_Noodle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:00 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
Fearthebait wrote:Gendo only cared about himself in the regard that he would destroy/liquify the whole world in return for being with Yui again.

Hmmm, explain.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Good_Noodle wrote:

Hmmm, explain.

Acquire S2 engine so I won't need power cables, check
Wait until the harpies have dispatched team Sohryu, check
Activate and grab son, check
Don't fight the harpies but let them do their thing, check

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:45 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Part of the reason Gendou was so Yui-focused (I think, at least) was the fact that "I'm not used to being liked.", since Yui thought he was "a sweet person." (Which I think proves that Gendou isn't as "evil" as people make him out to be, the man DOES have a heart, he just doesn't want to always show it!) But with not being liked, hmm...Now who else does that sound like? ("What'll I do if people hate me? What should I do?") Can you say like father, like son?

Plus that one pic of Gendou from the OP (and 21'?) looks a bit like Shinji when older.... (Though I personally think Shinji would look MUCH cuter than "daddy-dearest" is. :P)

Very good point. You can also see it in EoE when Yui is breaking him down and admits everything and you can see how he resembles Shinji through all his cold-heartedness.

Please do explain :)

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:24 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:

It's been a while since I've watched Eva, but if I can remember didn't she initially want to more or less "save the world"? Thats why she got into the Eva in the first place, to save the future and what not.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:42 pm

Shnooks wrote:
Opteron-O3 wrote:

It's been a while since I've watched Eva, but if I can remember didn't she initially want to more or less "save the world"? Thats why she got into the Eva in the first place, to save the future and what not.

Yea something like that... I believe you can see that in episode 21 and I think in EoE also. It's in the cuts where she's talking to Fyutski (I think that's how you spell it... :oops: )

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”