What Do You Think Rebuild will have?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

What Do You Think Rebuild will have?

Postby The Goose » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:50 pm

What do you think Rebuild will have? I'm certain that Anno will show his feelings of how Evangelion affected anime and its culture. However, I'm more curious about what message Anno will give us this time. The original series told about how hard it is to understand another, growing up, and becoming an individual. The only thing I can think of is that the new films will show how hard it is to keep the lessons learned to mind. I know its not that good of a seculation, but I tried. :lol:

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:11 pm

More classical music than it should, probably.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:39 pm

ThroneofDravaris wrote:More classical music than it should, probably.

NO SUCH THING.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:49 pm

You can never have too much classical music!

Either way there will be certainly be lots of fan service.
But as for story...I expect to be a bit less pessimistic than the series. It will have its dark moments for sure but I think it will be far more forgiving to its characters.

I'm afraid Shinji won't be masturbating over any comatose girls sadly.

...But there will be NEW CHARACTER, NEW MACHINE, NEW STORY.

which still kinda tells us NOTHING.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:20 pm

As said, there is not such a thing as too much classical music. I hope they use even more of it, actually.

I'm hoping the movie's get even darker; though that isn't likely, we really have been given no real information about the movies..

C4
Lilith

Postby C4 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:07 am

I expect the Wiivangelion movies(that's what the kids are calling it these days, right?) to be far more accessible; less psychological/religious references; more mecha action and teen romance. Is it for the better or worse? Well, the thing I love most about Eva is that it crafted these complex layers, and I would sort of hate to see them be minimized like I think they will. Then again, I also feel like we've seen that before, and that a new, less traumatic Eva will be refreshing.

And you can have too much classical music; but I trust Eva's musical judgement. I honestly haven't heard if Shiroh Sagisu will indeed to the music to the movie series, but if he does, I'm looking forward to at least a couple of new BGM's, and some new soundtracks to buy/download.

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 am

Well, it will have lolicious lolis, princesses & maybe robot girls. If it were done by Gainax I would be sure. But what I'm not so sure is how much Gainax will this Weva be.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Shawn Dudley
Adam

Postby Shawn Dudley » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:06 pm

According to this, apparently the new EVA won't be much GAINAX at all...

[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-02-20/hideaki-anno-releases-statement-about-new-evangelion-movies[/url]

I had seen earlier postings about Anno and GAINAX going their separate ways on the project, this would seem to confim it.
"Do not believe in yourself! Believe in Me, who believes in you." -Kamina the Great

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Egh. Anno came across as a bit ego-trippy.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:05 pm

Makes me think of eternal recurrence. Well, we know now that the films will have the same "stand up on your feet," and fears we all know.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Many different desires are motivating us to create the new "Evangelion" film.

The desire to portray my sincere feelings on film.
The desire to share, with an audience, the embodiment of image, the diversity of expressions, and the detailed portrayal of emotions that animation offers.
The desire to connect today's exhausted Japanese animation [industry] to the future.
The desire to fight the continuing trend of stagnation in anime.
The desire to support the strength of heart that exists in the world.

Finally, the desire to have these wishes be realized.

For these purposes, we used the best methods available to us to make another Evangelion film.
Many times we wondered, "It's a title that's more than 10 years old. Why now?"
"Eva is too old", we felt.
However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime newer than Eva.

Specifically, among the stagnant mood of the present day, it is the portrayal of will - not technology - that is most important.
To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary.
When we decided that we wanted to something to support the anime [industry] of today, the determination to return to this title was strong.

As the creator of this project, [I assure you that] a very new-feeling Evangelion world has beeen constructed.
For this purpose, we are not returning to our roots at Gainax. I have set up a production company and studio, and it is in this new setting that we will start again.
Without looking back, without admiration for the circumstances, we aim to walk towards the future.
Thankfully, we have gathered staff from the old series, new staff, and many other fantastic staff to work on this series.
We realize that we are creating something that will be better than the last series.

”Eva" is a story that repeats.
It is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little.
It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try.
We hope that you look forward to the 4 new retellings of this story.

In closing, it is also our job to provide a service to our customers.
Although it seems obvious, we aim to create a form of entertainment that anyone can look forward to; one that people who have never seen Evangelion can easily adjust to, one that can engage audiences as a movie for theatres, and one that produces a new understanding of the world.

This fall, we hope you can join us.

Creator/General Director, Anno Hideaki

O RLY??

(And moving forward, even just a little, is a good thing. ;))

Egh. Anno came across as a bit ego-trippy.

I thought he was ego-trippy before I saw the show. *shrugs* For some reason, watching the series changed my mind on that. :shock:

I'm assuming "Webuild"'s going to be more or less like the orginal, though probably some of the "filler episodes" (Jet Alone, I guess, even though it helped build up Misato & Shinji's realtionship) will be cut. As well as 3I probably being portrayed differently.

Besides that, "I dunno, lol."
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:08 pm

Wow Hideaki....thats a mouthful.

It's great to see he's enthusiatic about his return to anime and while I do have to agree that 90% of anime out there is nothing but pretty images I don't think its stagnant (though "Haruhi Suzumiya" IMO is not as great and fresh as everyone claims it to be).

Still, its wicked to read that he honestly believes these films will have a profound effect on animes future.

Does Anno have a big head? Sure. Is he allowed that? I think so, unlike many other people who talk the talk Anno has proven himself to be a great writer and director. Certainly one of the best in anime.
He's my favorite anime director and its just my personal likes and dislikes but hes the frontrunner in the current great anime God trifecta- Anno, Hayao Miyazaki, Satoshi Kon.

Though he probably went a bit TOO FAR when he said this WILL be better than the last series. Somehow I doubt that cause Eva WAS NEW. This is a REDEFINED NEW. Not nearly as cool.

In one last note does he mean "Rebuild of Evangelion" is not a GAINAX product at ALL?
Cause in one way it hurts cause I love Gainax. But in another way it may be great cause it's so blatanly obvious how much Gainax has been whoring Eva for the past decade. Everything from real tie-ins like Figurines to the New LCL Juice (when I think of that I think Lilith Menstral blood...). So if Gainx didn't own the right to REBUILD they'd have no access to tie-ins meaning the new character would be free from becoming a giant fully poseable and clothes removeable model (at least for a few years).
Has Anno ever been vocal against the whoring of Evangelion? I know George Lucas is key in the Star Wars whoring but I believe most directors who end up with a highly marketable property on their hands are not entirely positive.

At the very least its now 100% clear that Gendo isn't just an animated physical embodiment of Hideaki.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:58 pm

At the very least its now 100% clear that Gendo isn't just an animated physical embodiment of Hideaki.

:lol:

I agree that saying it'll be better than the original is a bit much, but I guess we'll see.

Has Anno ever been vocal against the whoring of Evangelion?

What I want to know about is the sexualized characters (Asuka, TEH Rei, Misato, Kaworu/Shinji) whoring. Hehe, that sounds dirty. Espeically the real deal with the 25' fap scene as being a slap in the face/Fuck you to otaku fandom (himself as well??? even though he supposedly got fed up with the culture?) or so the rumors go.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:45 pm

I've always been a bit confused on what Anno's thinking in relation to the characters sex appeal.

I mean it was awesome and painful to watch in EOE the first time how perverse they took it with Rei. I'll admit I was all "Rei oh my god!!!" (though I felt dirty since she's supposed to be 14 but looks 20) and in the movie it was just made perverse and dark. He gave the fans what they wanted- Naked Rei, she was dressed for maybe 60 seconds in THE ENTIRE film but its hard to find anything sexy in EOE.

So its obvious he's angry at the sex symbols the character became-especially Rei- but he never really shied from that in the show. The first half of the series alone is like a study on how big can you make underage persons tits. Asuka alone seemed to have the magic cup that's like a B in her Plug suit and everywhere else but suddenly goes to a D when needed.
And who can forget the...er....interesting shots of Misato in episode 2.

So it'll be curious to see how Anno handles this issues in the movies. Didn't someone say the plug suits were going to get a slight modification. Perhaps a de-sexualization of the skin tight outfits?

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:02 am

Sometimes the detatchment of sexuality from one's attire can just attract more. Case and point: nuns
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Forte V4
Embryo

Postby Forte V4 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:20 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Egh. Anno came across as a bit ego-trippy.

I agree, though I wouldn't call "stagnation of anime" a bit.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:33 pm

I read in Newtype a desciption of the characters (Rei, Shinji, Asuka etc.) and they seemed to be the same as the last series incarnations. Though, I think Rei's description was a little different, maybe. My overall question is if there will be character changes.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:27 pm

Ahm... plugsuit modification... I think they were very cleverly designed in the original to be somewhat patterned after the third Angel (which I didn't even notice until I saw Reichu's diagrams), so I'm wondering if the designs will be as "engineer-minded" in this version.

...Maybe they'll ALWAYS look like Asuka's suit did in Magma Diver!

I am a bit worried about trying to make it appeal to "middle and high school"-aged people. I think seinen appeals to most high schoolers than shonen anyway. When the series started to get darker and more adult is when it started to get really great, in my opinion.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:29 pm

I was really excited reading that, how Anno really was standing up for what he though and was going to show it in Rebuild. Then the line of "we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary".

This killed the mood, the last thing I wanted to here was 'high school-aged" lead alone "middle(school)". This makes me beleive that Rebuild will basically be nothing more then the first 10 episodes with compacted plot line. Not liking that idea, but the proof will be in the pudding. I hope that pudding taste damn good, because the package is looking beaten and the lid seemed to be unsealed.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:47 am

http://eva.yahoo.co.jp/gekijou/big_message.html

What does the question at the top mean? They didn't translate it in the article...
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”