Why does Kaji say "It's Adam"

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Maverick
Lilith

Why does Kaji say "It's Adam"

•      
  •      

Postby Maverick » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:03 am

Earlier in the series, we see Kaji giving Adam's embryo to Gendo. Ergo, Kaji knows who Adam is. Then, why did Kaji tell Misato that the crucified giant in Central Dogma is Adam?

I've thought about this for several times, but I couldn't reach a proper conclusion.
Was he confused? Did he lie? If so, then, why?
:?
Boo!

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:28 am

Maybe he thought that Gendo had double crossed him and that the Giant marshmellow thing was Adam willest the little toad thing was Lilith instead. Or maybe I'm just crazy.....
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:47 pm

Kaji says that maybe because he thought that Lilith was Adam.
Maybe he thought that he was allready regenerated from the embryo form, and nerv nailed him to that cross.

Or maybe he said that just to not get Misato too involved in all this thing.

That's what i think :wink:
*insert cool signature here*

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:12 pm

Kaji most likely has no knowledge of Lilith. He most likely believed the crucified form in Terminal Dogma to be the regenerated Adam. This later leads to further confusion in the series when Kaworu attempts to reunite Adam's soul with its body. Kaji most likely informed Seele that Adam was in Dogma, hence why Kaworu went straight for Dogma, instead of after Gendo.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:16 pm

That can't be right. In the director's cut Seele tells Kaworu that Adam's body resides within Gendou. I'm confused. :?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:29 pm

I don't understand that.
Does somebody have the literal translation of that scene in episode 24?

Maybe seele says to Kaworu that Adam was in Gendo's hands, meaning that Gendo was in possesion of Adam's body (not nessesarily in his right hand).:wink:

Or maybe it's just a REALLY BIG blooper, just like the plugsuit in episode 20. :lol:
*insert cool signature here*

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:07 pm

I think it's a mistake. Seele does say something about Adam being in Gendo. I guess Kaworu has a bad memory?

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:31 pm

That plugsuit wasn't a blooper. Listen carefully to what Ritsuko is saying during that episode. She states that Shinji's ego border is giving physical substance to his plug suit, or something like that.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:56 pm

I'm simply going to write off the scene in Episode 24' as a blooper. The problem with Eva is that its too blooper ridden due to the agressive production, and often last minute changes.

For instance:

Episode 1: Shinji is seen holding a Nerv manual before Misato gives it to him.
Episode 7: Unit 01 is dropped from a plane, it lands with reverse momentum rather than forward momentum.
Episode 11 and 12: Order reversed.
Episode 20: Shinji's clothes mistakenly replaced by a plugsuit.
Episode 23: Rei cries in her entry plug, the tears fall from her eyes. In a liquid environment, this would not be possible.

There's quite a few more, and they are obviously bloopers, and they are further substantiated by the fact that Sadamoto corrected them in the manga version. Maybe some light will be shed on this once he gets to the same events in the manga.

This logically makes no sense for Kaworu to know where Adam is, and then mistake Lilith for Adam. As the director's cuts were introduced after the series concluded, I am inclined to view it as an oversight of the director's cuts' production, as the DC is conflicting with the pre-existing series. Its a simple continuity error. There's no other way to explain it. I hope someone can prove me wrong though.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:24 pm

I always thought Kaji lied to Misato. Because, I remember in one episode, where Rei was sent to get the lance, Misato questioned the order because she thought it would be dangerous (You know, when angels touch Lilith, 3rd Imapct will occur). When she noticed how Gendou was ok with the Eva getting close to Lillith (Eva's are angels... sorta :P), she begins to think to her self: "So that was a lie too"(or something like that). I always thought she was referring to Kaji calling Lilith Adam... but I might be wrong.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:47 pm

I'm simply going to write off the scene in Episode 24' as a blooper. The problem with Eva is that its too blooper ridden due to the agressive production, and often last minute changes.

I even have my own site that I did a few years ago dedicated to all the interesting little bloopers and such you can find in the show :P
http://nitpick.myeva.net/

Regarding the plugsuit, I'd say they probably changed the dialogue after realizing how they screwed up with the animation. Thats one of the more ridiculous ones.

I always thought Kaji lied to Misato. Because, I remember in one episode, where Rei was sent to get the lance, Misato questioned the order because she thought it would be dangerous (You know, when angels touch Lilith, 3rd Imapct will occur). When she noticed how Gendou was ok with the Eva getting close to Lillith (Eva's are angels... sorta ), she begins to think to her self: "So that was a lie too"(or something like that). I always thought she was referring to Kaji calling Lilith Adam... but I might be wrong.

That would be because she, like Kaji thought Lillith was actually Adam. Doesn't mean Kaji lied to her, he was misled about what the white giant on the cross really was, like everyone else.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

x1shinji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby x1shinji » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:54 am

on that eva bloopers its so dum read this

"In the alternate reality, Shinji lives in Misato's apartment. However, remember that Misato lives in a suburb, not Tokyo 3. Thus, Shinji & Asuka walking to school, and them talking about lots of people moving in doesn't exactly make sense since they don't live in Tokyo 3. "

you see its an alternate reality, so maybe he picked to live in tokyo3?

ever think of that? or is it a blooper

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:55 am

He lives with his parents in the alternate reality, not with Misato. Misato is the teacher.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:36 am

As Homer would say, Doh!!!! Looks like my blooper site has bloopers of its own. :(

Mr.Guy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr.Guy » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:36 am

Episode 23: Rei cries in her entry plug, the tears fall from her eyes. In a liquid environment, this would not be possible.

I always thought that the tears were more dense then the LCL, hence why her's fell :?

Xenogil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Xenogil » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:44 pm

Dave wrote:That can't be right. In the director's cut Seele tells Kaworu that Adam's body resides within Gendou. I'm confused. :?

I really don't think that it would matter what anyone told Kwarou. If he is an angel, then wouldn't he be able to sense where Adam was located? All of the other angels were able to. But then again, they all went after Lilith, too...

Is it because Kwarou has free will?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:43 am

Xenogil wrote:I really don't think that it would matter what anyone told Kwarou. If he is an angel, then wouldn't he be able to sense where Adam was located? All of the other angels were able to. But then again, they all went after Lilith, too...

Depends on who you believe sent the Angels, or why you think the Angels awoke in the obviously sequential way they did.

From a logical and realistic stand point, they simply could not have awoken in a nice little order they way they did.

Some believe they were awoken by Seele, others still hold to the belief that a god exists in the world of Eva, despite the production's statement that there is none. I like to think that there may be some truth to beliefs that Seele sends the Angels. If the Angels were trying to return to Adam, then why didn't they attack Germany? The spawn of Adam wouldn't want to merge with Lilith, so why attack Nerv?

Who knows, or perhaps, this is just another "mystery" of Eva that should simply go to illustrate the fact that in the end it boils down to the fact that its just a cartoon.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:43 am

I think the "just a cartoon part" is the answer. The only mytsterious force that sent the angels at certain times was some guys making an anime series.

Xenogil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Xenogil » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:26 pm

I guess that's the only logical conclusion that can be achived. They say the angels go after Adam, but seeing how they go towards where Lilith is whenever they attack the Geofront...it boggles the mind!

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:29 pm

Gaghiel went after Adam. :? I really doubt any of the angels (except Kaworu) would have been able to tell the difference between Adam and Lilith. The angels before Gaghiel probably thought that Lilith was Adam and all the angels after Gaghiel did in fact go after Adam (who was than in Gendou).

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”