Eva-R Ending?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderator: Board Staff

C4
Lilith

Eva-R Ending?

•      
  •      

Postby C4 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:15 am

Okay, here's the deal, I read Eva-R, at least up until the first part of the first ending(the "movie" ending, that is), and then I completely lost interest. However, I'm curious to know what happened, but the ending is just too long, from what I've read, and doesn't hold my attention much. For anyone who bothered to read the ending, either of them, could you give me a basic rundown on what happened? I'm interested, but not interested enough to go reading page after page of:

Shinji: ....
Misato: ....

etc.

The Bastard King
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:07 am

The ending that followed the EoE formula, as I recall, just seemed like the same 3I mind trip, except it went a little on afterwards to show everyone back in a normal life. The other ending route is completely different, and would best be read instead of described.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:03 am

Eva-R is still around? How embarrassing.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Death True True
Death True True

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:31 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Eva-R is still around? How embarrassing.

Such wrecklessness! Do you realize what you've done, man?!? You've cast the m0dus Summon Spell! Now he's going to show up here like he did at ANF, for sure!
What if... Kaworu bonded with Misato instead of Shinji, and the two of them were siblings?
Father Brother Lover Mother (AO3, FF.net)
The path to an alternate Third Impact has reached stage 19 (5/22)!

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:40 pm

Well it is embarrassing. Eva-R goes out of its way to distinguish itself from being "just another fanfic"(which it is). Way back when when I first stumbled upon it, before I even joined the boards, it was more or less purporting to be the unoffical sequel to Eva. Even back then the answers seemed to easy. Knowing what I know now, Eva-R is even more mortifying than it was back then.

If it's a fanfic, the author has gone to too much trouble in promoting it. If it's more than that, the author hasn't put enough effort in. Either way the site as it stands is a pitfall for the unwary on the outset of their journey of understanding. I might have fallen into it myself.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:48 pm

Fortunately, 3 years ago when I first stumbled on the site, the navigation was sufficiently opaque that I could not find my way to the content. I gather it's had at least one major re-design since, but I haven't bothered to look to see if the usability has improved any.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:45 pm

I've never bothered reading it mostly because I'm extermely busy and have only heard of this fanfic (which is what it seems to be, just because Gainax gave the nod to it, what's the big deal? Unless Gainax themselves worked on it, then it's a fanwork, pure and simple.) in passing.

So how is it written, anyway? is something like:

Asuka: You suck, Shinji!

in terms of the "story" style? I'd say writing things as a script story-style doesn't really work unless it's comedy, but even then it has to be written/executed well. But then again, that's just my two cents.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:09 pm

I made it as far as the beginning of the end and then gave up.

My take is that script format should only be used when one actually intends for the story to be developed into some other media format. I actually do most of my writing in screenplay layout because of vague and hopeless aspirations; TToR404 is the first non-script I've written in years and frankly I think it's for the better.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:24 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So how is it written, anyway? is something like:

Asuka: You suck, Shinji!

in terms of the "story" style?

It is notoriuous for there being a lot of

Character A: ...

Character B: ...

Character A: ...

Character B: ...

where the names change but the dialogue above is verbatim.

I don't find script-style to be evil-by-definition (Neon Revolution Evangelion, a fic I recommend, is done in that format). Like all tools, it can be used or abused.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

C4
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C4 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:08 am

As a screenwriter(completely amateur, in status, but definitely not in content), I like the script form of fics much more than the novel form.(There are exceptions, of course.) The problem with most script forms, is, for me at least, is that they're not written in an actual Hollywood screenplay format, which is the easiest-reading script format out there. Then again, I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, so I would much rather read several consecutive small chunks of dialogue than one long running paragraph.

As far as my personal impressions of Eva-R go, the first couple of episodes were nothing special, but the middle got progressively more interesting, and I thought it showed some promise, but then I started reading the ending, and it was like, "Wait, this is EoE with all those excess characters that you wrote. You changed like 2%." Again, to be fair, I didn't finish reading it; it was unbearably long. Though I ultimately find myself giving it a premature thumbs down, I applaud entirely its ambition.

Return to “Fanfiction”