Today I cried~~

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

JinKazama2006
Embryo

Today I cried~~

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama2006 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:01 am

After a look at my old collection of EVA pictures and fanarts today, I logged on EVA Monkey for the 1st time in the last 1 year and 2 months, reading a few threads posted by you guys, and a few more, and a few more, there, all in all sudden..... I could not hold tears in my eyes anymore, I didn't know why it has happened for no reason, but I know I did cry. The first time in almost 10 years :!: :shock:

EVA was my first animae, I watched it with finishing all of its episodes in one go in less than a week's time, and without any bit of feeling as if I was watching a "kid's cartoons on TV after dinner".

Man, EVA is the most brilliant, in any respect and by all standards, but importantly and sadly, it has eaten some parts of my soul, it's not like something I couldn't try to forget completely, it's more like invulantarily keeping it in the deepest space in my heart without any noticing, and willingly.

Well, all my friends here whether or not we know each other(as long as we all like EVA that makes us friends right?), please write something to me, I know it's a shame for someone to cry with not knowing. Or is it a shame to cry because of an animae? anyway, I'm glad to have this posted, :lol: (not because I had to rewrite the whole thing again due to an "unexpected explorer page refresh" at the first time I wrote this same thread) :x
I almost couldn't live without a little philosophy a day.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Today I cried~~

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:31 pm

JinKazama2006 wrote:I could not hold tears in my eyes anymore, I didn't know why it has happened for no reason, but I know I did cry. The first time in almost 10 years :!: :shock:

"These are tears?
This is the first time in ten years, yet it almost feels as if I have never cried before.
Am I crying?
Why am I crying?"

...Sorry.

it has eaten some parts of my soul

Clearly, you must reciprocate by eating "Evangelion" in turn.

Well, all my friends here whether or not we know each other(as long as we all like EVA that makes us friends right?)

That's the way it should be, anyhow.

Or is it a shame to cry because of an animae?

Crying is a perfectly natural reaction to emotional and physical stress. And NGE is a very stressful anime.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Today I cried after watching ep 10 of Kanon ... but that's quite besides the point.

For some reason reading this made me feel good .. in someway ... it's probably bad to feel good because someone cried but ... It was for good reasons (the crying).

Well, all my friends here whether or not we know each other(as long as we all like EVA that makes us friends right?)

That's the way it should be, anyhow.

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it should remember- -
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he who watches Evangelion like me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:02 pm

I can't say that Evangelion ever made me cry, but it did make me reflect on human relations and life in general, which probably amounts to something similar.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:09 pm

Eva's made me cry. Many a time, mostly EoE.

As well as the fact it stole the past year away from me.Image

But anway, I feel the same as you: Our love of all that is Eva unites us all!
Anime DOES unite people better than the Olympics! ;)

I think it's brillant too, it really DOES make you think about the world as well as yourself, deshou?

@ KnT: Whatcha quoting?

@ Reichu: At least now you can drink Eva! LCL Orange Juice and Do Not Drink This Coffee. :P fufufu!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:54 pm

Man, I remember the first time I watched Evangelion...what a ride.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:59 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:@ KnT: Whatcha quoting?

The St. Crispin's Day Speech from Henry V
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby zeaven » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:09 am

Pretty much every time I watch NGE, at some point (sometimes more than once), I get close to tears, and then the feeling subsides. That in itself is pretty depressing, don't you think? Almost as if I'm unwilling to admit how touched I am by it. Like I don't want to think about my own problems in context.

Now think about happy things.
Underneath it all, we feel so small
The heavens fall, but still we crawl...

C4
Lilith

Re: Today I cried~~

•      
  •      

Postby C4 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:02 am

JinKazama2006 wrote:I know it's a shame for someone to cry with not knowing. Or is it a shame to cry because of an anime?

Yo, first off, it's not a shame to cry and not know the reason behind it; it's one of those little things that just happens sometimes to us flawed and incomplete humans. :wink: I'm definitely not the type to cry a lot,(it's silly to put a number on these things, but if I had to guess, 1-3 times a year? Well, to me, that's not a lot, anyway.) but when I do find myself crying, it's usually for no reason at all. Sometimes it's brought about when I read some old scripts that I've written, even when they're not particularly sad; somethings are beyond explanation.

Secondly, it's definitely not a shame to cry because of an anime. Anime is a form of art, and it in no way should be looked down upon just because it's animation. Some people discount anime because it's "a cartoon"(which is true, but the label is often, but not always, used in a derisive manner to make it seem more childish), and some people discount it because of its fans, which, well, are just the victim of stereotypes.(We're not all unsocial shut-ins who live vicariously through lives of fictional characters.) But in the end, anime; that is to say, art in general, is just another form of communication, one person or group of people telling a story to another person, and it's a shame to see it be such a niche market.

As for me, I've never cried watching Evangelion, but the more I watch it, EoE in particular, it means a little bit more to me emotionally, and I think my eyes might have watered a little bit last time.

If I'm forgiven to be going on a bit of an unrelated note, this thread reminds me of how I came into Evangelion. I had just finished watching Serial Experiments Lain(another psychological anime), and I was looking some stuff up on it online, and every review compared it to Evangelion. So I went to Hollywood Video, which was where I got a load of Lain, and I got the first Evangelion VHS. First episode didn't impress me then, but the second episode sold it for me. The episode that for me really set it in the "best series ever" category was the episode where Shinji got sucked into the Sea of Dirac(I'm bad with episode numbers). I hadn't seen anything like it at that point. So, everytime I went to Hollywood, I would get two VHS's, and usually watch them both that same day. By the time I was done with the series, EoE was set to come out on DVD the next week, so I snatched up both the movies, and ate those up, too. Bam, that was it for me, best movie ever.(Casablanca is a close second.)

And as for the whole Eva brotherhood thing, I suppose having a common interest does sort of build a sort of inherent bond between everyone here, but everyone has their own different opinions about different things, which cause a bit of divisiveness in our little community, but then again, every family argues, right?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:25 am

I'm one who tears up readily*; but NGE didn't do that to me at all -- and EoE went past that point and well into slack-jawed shock. It needs the right set of emotional cues to set me going; and there were none of them present.

I did have to stop and take copious snuffle breaks while writing my cathartic fics, though.

* Like, I can't even watch sequences like this without at the very least dabbing discreetly at the corners of my eyes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:39 am

Hehe, I just watched NGE for the first time a month ago and have seen in 3 times since. I think it's the only show that has ever effected me like this. Some parts in it are just so stunningly powerful and beautiful that they send chills all through me. The effect it has on me is like sending me into this other worldly, almost orgasmic state of being and I realize I'm witnissing something just so perefectly beautiful and powerful...

Yeah maybe that's a bit much, but it comes from a real place. I don't ever cry at movies or TV shows, I just don't. I wish I could more so my girlfriend would give me a break. But I broke down in EoE a couple of times. For some reason, I can't here Komm Susser Tod without crying. Go figure! But NGE is such a deeply emotional show. I think you can tell the characters and their struggles came from a very real place in Anno. And that's what art is, it's about taking your experiences and expressing it in a way that effects others. And NGE is the perfect example of an artistic masterpiece that makes you think about the important things in life.

Anyway, my splooge about how great thow show is ends here. :oops:

JinKazama2006
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama2006 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:18 am

Thankx a lot to all of you for reading my thread and written so many to share your memories of watching EVA and your feelings, all these have made me feel I'm not alone, and it's so good to know.

right now I'm lost for words.(it's a lie)

I made a decision, First, rewatch EVA, Second, watch more Animae in my sparetime, just try not to be stuck in EVA forever(though i will make a schedule to rewatch it once or twice a year), at d moment I'm watching Ranma 1/2, and I was watching before I posted this thread, yes, even I couldn't believe it myself, to find someone like myself who hasn't even yet seen more than 2 episodes of Ranma up until now in the 7th year of the 21st centrty.(btw, Ranma is really good, okay, I know saying this is like, telling everyone "hay, icecream is so good!")

many people who watched EVA might say that they can relate a lot to Shinji or Asuka on what they've been through and how they feel. Strangely, I've little to relate myself to these two characters, rather, most of time when I got very emotional in EVA were watching Rei's part. Her self-reflection scenes in the episodes got me so depressed, so shocked and yet so heartbroken, I cant quite explain why, and with the context of the stories in EVA, all these, had always made me wipe my eyes everytime Rei is self-reflecting exposing her inner thoughts in monologue style. Strange, or perhaps, it's just me.

well, I will go back to watching some more Ranma. And a little more something off-topic here, I began to learn Japanese, after seen quite a lot of Animae I finally got some degree of familiarity with the language(I always prefer to watch any movie in the original language in which it is made, ie, without voiceover) and want to know how many of you here are learning Japanese or are already proficient in the language?
I almost couldn't live without a little philosophy a day.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:12 am

'Animae'. I quite like that word.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:28 am

I've thought several times about learning Japanese. Not just because of Anime, but because of a general love of Japanese cinema (I'm a huge Akira Kurosawa fan) as well. I've picked up words here and there, but I couldn't form a coherent sentence.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:09 pm

Let's see, Eva made me cry, Ai yori Aoshi made me cry, Elfen Lied made me cry, FLCL made me cry, Gunbuster made me cry, Die Buster made me cry, Nadia made me cry, Oh!/Ah! My Goddess! made me cry, the various incarnations of Tenchi Muyo have made me cry, Ranma 1/2 made me cry, Video Girl Ai made me cry, and Grave of the Fireflies made me cry like a baby.

I'm sure there are many more anime out there that have made cry too.

I can form a few, useless coherant sentences in Japanese, I can form a couple useful coherant substances in Japanese, I know random other words, and I'm planning to pick my studies back up soon.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:57 pm

I know 2 quarters' collegewise of Japanese, so at least I can write in hirgana, katakana (somewhat) though I stopped taking the class before Japanese 3 which is when we'd focus more on Kanji, so I only know a little... It's hard enough as is, but it's espeically hard for me to write in Kanji because I'm a lefty! Any tips?

Oh yeah, and I can speak a little too. It's mostly basic things, but at least it's better than nothing. ^_^;

With other anime that made me cry? Uhmm....Only obvious one I can think of? Sailor Moon, espeically the final season, Sailor Stars, when Haruka and Michiru (as well as the other senshi; Usagi's begging "Rei-chan" not to go away get me all choked up!) died during that battle with Galaxia ("I see the light." "You're warm...Michiru.")... :cry:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Forte V4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Forte V4 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Eva never made me cry. However, the episode about Asuka's past and the whole "I can stop being her mother anytime" royally pissed me off, so I guess strong emotions count too.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:44 pm

Anime in general doesn't make me cry. Eva's never made me cry, but I believe it did give me a better feeling than sadness <_<
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Forte V4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Forte V4 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm

I wouldn't say that anime doesn't make me cry. FMA did and so did Samurai X:Reflection, but that's pretty much all that has actually gotten to me.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:54 pm

I get sad when stuff happens, but I don't think i've ever actually shed tears.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”