Rebuild of Wevangeliwon #1 = September 1

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:21 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Opteron-O3 wrote:Yeah, if you were smart enough to do a full investigation before watching the movie... But whatever...

Depends where you had acquired your pre-exiting memetic environment. EoE was obviously, on first viewing, some flavour of hard-takeoff, and not entirely Friendly, Singularity and system crash.

The quasi-Biblical mumbo-jumbo looked to me as obfuscation over that.

Of course on first viewing there would be some confusion because someone familiar with the Christian religion, or religion at all, would be puzzled("wtf") with what they've just seen. But once you do some investigation via Evamonkey (prevented my mental break down and a few others I assume, from trying to put 2 and 2 together) everything is alright.

The Goose wrote:
Yeah, if you were smart enough to do a full investigation before watching the movie... But whatever...

Sorry about that. I'm not joking in my apology, I really am sorry.

It's cool, I didn't mean to sound harsh either. I just "clicked" when I read your comment.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Victorthebattousai » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:56 pm

Actually, the Bible doesn't talk about men becoming gods or as gods. Now, they might ascend to heaven, or something like that, but unless you're talking about Jesus, who was actually God in the first place, just human form and such, there were no men to become godly.

Anyway, I'm here in the hope Rebuild might change things, and I love taking about the chars. I love the chars, their basic stories(Shinji lost mother, dad left, Rei had no parents, Asuka had no dad, mom died), I love the music, and I love the art. I just hate the story. Maybe if they had stuck with one religion to base off of, mankind hadn't have been created from aliens(what the?), it weren't so gory, and EoE had never been made, I might not feel the same way lol(that's a lot of ifs). I, as it stands, I still love the chars themselves. Some of the best character development I have ever seen.
I hate not having my Siggy.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:10 pm

Victorthebattousai wrote:Actually, the Bible doesn't talk about men becoming gods or as gods.

But the Book of Mormon does! =D

EDIT: Also, just to be clear, a lot of the religious references in Evangelion come not from the Bible, but from the Kaballah (Chamber of Guf, seven eyes of God, Lilith's relation to Adam, etc.)
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Victorthebattousai » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:22 pm

Yes, the vast majority of the religious stuff seems to be from all sorts of Judeo-Christianic(sp?) religions, not just Christianity. Oh, and Mormons frighten me.
I hate not having my Siggy.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:24 pm

NAveryW wrote:
Victorthebattousai wrote:Actually, the Bible doesn't talk about men becoming gods or as gods.

But the Book of Mormon does! =D
Not to offend you or any possible trolls on this li'l subject, but can we please not go there? And even if we did, isn't there a thread for that already? :roll: [(don't hate me for mentioning this)/quasi/pseudo-emo moment]
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:30 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:And even if we did, isn't there a thread for that already?

Eh? Where?

And while I doubt Evangelion had any intentional Mormonic references, other great shows do (such as Battlestar Galactica. BSG is different in that regard, however, as the show's creator is a Mormon).

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:41 pm

NAveryW wrote:
THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:And even if we did, isn't there a thread for that already?

Eh? Where?
Um, here? http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1701

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:53 pm

"It's cool, I didn't mean to sound harsh either. I just "clicked" when I read your comment."

My comment wasn't an insult (if you did think insulted you), I was just saying that when people see the symbolism in Eva they think it has something to do with the story and just make up what they think is going on. Sorry again.

Also another annoying thing about the symbolism is that, on the occassion that I found, mean something. When Shinji is in the middle on the Tree of Life and glows, it means that Shinji has the fate of mankind in his hand. The middle of the Tree of Life is where God will show himself and ,since Shinji is there and glows, it shows he has become God. Though, could this be understood even without the symbolism?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:31 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:Of course on first viewing there would be some confusion because someone familiar with the Christian religion

I would count myself as reasonably familiar with it (I even have an O-level in Divinity) -- but also interpreting NGE/EoE with a purely materialistic mindset.

Most of the motifs, though, are more from the Qabbala than the familiar scriptures (the Tree of Life being the most prominent).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:26 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I would count myself as reasonably familiar with it (I even have an O-level in Divinity) -- but also interpreting NGE/EoE with a purely materialistic mindset.

Of course, I in the beginning didn't fall into it all that much until further into NGE where it became serious and all the "wtf" scenes popped up. Then I started pondering... That is, until I found Evamonkey :D

Most of the motifs, though, are more from the Qabbala than the familiar scriptures (the Tree of Life being the most prominent).

Totally forgot to mention those....
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:21 pm

Off-topic with the current talk, but anybody else think Furuya Toru (Mamo-chan in SM, Namura-sensei in Marmalade Boy) would be the perfect Katsuragi-hakase voice? Image
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby CtHuLhU » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:57 pm

So, as usual new scans of magazines...
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

Executor
Banned

Postby Executor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:59 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Off-topic with the current talk, but anybody else think Furuya Toru (Mamo-chan in SM, Namura-sensei in Marmalade Boy) would be the perfect Katsuragi-hakase voice? Image

I hate that smiley. Fucking harpies... Chewing unit 02 up, they're like the media!! :lol:

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:34 pm

Executor wrote:<snip> Fucking harpies... Chewing unit 02 up, they're like the media!! :lol:
He he, good point.

Executor
Banned

Postby Executor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:50 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:
Executor wrote:<snip> Fucking harpies... Chewing unit 02 up, they're like the media!! :lol:
He he, good point.

Indeed. I did point this out when I came up with EVAGANGBANG 5000!!!!
(Complete with 01 going down on 00 :lol: )

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:07 pm

CtHuLhU wrote:So, as usual new scans of magazines...

Unit00 looks femininish. Opposed to the masculine look it used to have. Interesting...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:15 pm

CtHuLhU wrote:So, as usual new scans of magazines...

That's pretty funny. "EVA SHOCK has COMING!", also the group pose with the UCC Coffee cans, and IS DAT SUM EVA@SCHOOL JA?!?

Eva-00 looks a lot like that new model-kit.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:22 pm

I don't think Unit 00 l00ks more feminine.

THAT DRAWING OF GENDO LOOKS OFF.

EDIT: Also, from what we see here, is it safe to assume that Kaworu is still an Angel? I mean, he's practically floating, and there's that SEELE 01 and big Lilith behind him, along with all those crosses. Not to mention he's still on top of that statue that forshadowed his own fate in the original series.

Executor
Banned

Postby Executor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:24 pm

NAveryW wrote:

Eh? Where?

And while I doubt Evangelion had any intentional Mormonic references, other great shows do (such as Battlestar Galactica. BSG is different in that regard, however, as the show's creator is a Mormon).

Er... RDM is a morman? 0_X

Morman people in sci-fi isnt excatally unheard of, in reference to Orson Scott Card(Who, after Ender's Game/Shadow, couldnt write a book to save his life, and said that Star Trek was WORTHLESS.)

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:28 pm

Glen A. Larson is a Mormon.

EVANGELION 2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) A MOR(M)ON

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”