How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

Re: How did you first get into Eva?

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:54 pm

Dave wrote:I saw the first two episodes of Eva when they were aired on Cartoon Network during Toonami. (Gotta love Misato's 50 gallons of 'root' beer and how she wears a bathing suit in a bath tub.) After that I borrowed the box set and movies from a friend.

[edit]Anyone know if the first two episodes were aired more than once on CN?

i saw that 2 and went eva crazy
though how i remembered the name long enough to get my dad to rent the first 3 DVD's is beyond me
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

soupy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby soupy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:46 am

I think I first saw it in a Japanese magazine I browsed through when I was in taiwan for the summer back when it first came out. Then I got reintroduced to it again in an issue of "GameFan" magazine that did a preview of it. Friend of mine told me where to get VHS fansubs in chinatown, and omg...it was all over....I've been loving this show for over 8 years...omfg. :shock:

Cyanna
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cyanna » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:07 am

The first time I saw anything Eva related was on a Legend of Zelda forum. Someone had a Rei avatar. I was kinda surprised by it. I was in a big story-writing phase at the time and Rei looked very much like one of my characters....very pale, blue hair and dressed in white. Of course my character was usually seen in a white flowing dress rather then a skin tight plugsuit. But I had no idea what to make of it. I was not into anime. I really didn't even know what it was.

About a year later, I dragged my bf to a forum that I found myself addicted to over time. So to "fit in," he made a signature featuring some of his favorite characters and some captions. Well one picture was of Kaworu labeled simply "The Angel."

Now as for me...I've always been a sucker for winged humans. Naturally this "angel" thing caught my attention (keep in mind I was thinking more of the traditional angel then the Eva angel). So I asked about it and got a name (Kaworu) and a series (Neon Genesis Evangelion).

So I did some reasearch, found out that the blue haired girl was in this series too....and I completely spoiled the series for me. I read so much about Eva, D&R and EoE tat at Otakon (I was tagging along with my boyfriend's family) I was actually holding my own in a conversation about it and I hadn't even seen the series yet. But the more I read, the more I wanted to see it. Fortunately, my boyfriend had Evangelion so we watched it after getting back from Baltimore. And I was good and hooked. I saw D&R a few months later and I finally saw EoE about a week before the last Otakon.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

is this all coinsidents?

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:27 pm

do you think only certian people with certain traits or abilitys enjoy or understand Evangelion?
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

What's your Eva story?

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:48 am

Well, the "pointless nostalgia" link brought up this question, but nobody seemed to want to jump on it and turn into a new topic.

My willingness to do so may just prove my insanity (or utter lameness)
but I'm curious.

What's you're (dare I say it?) Eva Virgin expierence? (God! It burns)
That is to say, if you have a story about the first time you watched Eva, share. Was it good for you? (glances at earlier bad joke...winces)

Looking back, mine was just plain sad.
I bought Eva vol. 1 from a local FYE when I accidentally stumbled over it in the "Foriegn Films" section of the store.
I had read a lot about the show, was trying to get my hands on it, but no juice.
I got home, tore the wrapper off and jammed the thing in my ancient 1992 VCR. DvD? What DVD?

I had seen some Dragon ball Z, and was becoming a fan of Tenchi Muyo! on Cartoon Network (even though it was censored). but EVA...I had never seen anything like it...and if half of what I'd read on the internet was true...this could be the best thing ever animated!

What followed was a depressing year of scrapping up fifties and blowing them on two episode VHS.

This show, as I have said before, changed the way I looked at life, and got me into anime. It was also what finally made me buy a DVD player.
Evangelion...on Dvd? YES! (by then my tapes where wearing down)

By the time MANGA released the movies I was graduating from High school, seen the series some two dozen times, read EVA-R, well, as much as there was back then, and gotten a little perspective, and I hope, maturity. This helped me fully appreciate the work that is End of Eva.

The singlulary most imppressive, depressing, satisfying conclusion to a major work of entertainment.

So here I am... anybody else want to share?
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:57 am

Oh, for the love of god. Not to bash on your thread Olin, but didn't ew have one of these already? If I have to regale people with my story one more time...

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:46 am

i must agree with hexon...the other thread is for this and i suppose EM will close this one down...

max3000
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby max3000 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:00 am

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
Last edited by max3000 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:08 am

:? *glares at other forum goers*

ARRRR! I'LL EAT YOUR DOG!!!! ARRRRRR!

*clears throat*

ahem, I like your thread Olin.

Anyway, my Eva story stars in ninteen dickedey nine. We had to say dickedey back then, because the Kaiser :x had stolen our number nine!

So, back in ninteen dickedy nine, I went off the Canadian Anime convention CNAnime around dickedey o'clock. It was there that I first purchased the Eva DVD boxed set.

...oh. Did I mention I invented the turlet, and that I singlehandedly won the second world war by teaming up with Abraham Lincoln, Neil Armstrong and Kozo Fuyutsuki and defeated Hitler and his robot flying monkeys?

I didn't? Well, I should have.

Anywho, after all that, We watched all of Eva together.

It was good.
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:19 pm

You should have checked the other "threads" because i thought there was already one of these. Nice storys tho :D
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:41 pm

yeah i think there is one similar topic from Dave called "how did you get into Eva?"..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:16 pm

This thread seems fine to me; some of the newer members might not look back far enough to see my original thread.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:16 pm

Teehee...

Well, if it's good enough for Dave, it's good enough for me. Besides, I don't mind telling my story a few times. It's weird, anyway.

My best friend Alex got me into Eva. She rented Death and Rebirth pretty much on a whim (neither of us had seen Eva at all before, and I doubt she'd ever heard of it), and after she'd watched it, she called me over to her house to watch it. She was going on about how it was so intense and had psychological undertones and whatnot.

So I watched it, and I was confused as hell. I honestly got a headache. It was pretty intense, and there were some parts that really upset me.

So anyway, I went home thinking about it, and I looked up the voice actors/actresses who were in it, and if I knew any of them from other shows (I do that. I'm weird... ). I honestly don't remember what happened after that, but the show just intrigued me so much that afterwards, I asked for EoE for my birthday, then with my birthday money I bought the Perfect Collection. Now that I think about it, it's been about a year since I first saw D&R, 'cause I went to my friend's house the night before I painted windows for Homecoming, which was in October.

Geez... can't believe it's been that long. o_o
Close your eyes and listen hard

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:16 pm

Does anyone remember when Cartoon Network Had a giant robot week?
that is where i started to watch eva, then i went to my dads and started to rent the movies. this was all abut 4 or so years ago too.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Oops...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:36 pm

Sorry guys, I had no idea there were one of these threads already up, didn't mean to step on your lines Dave.

Consider this a continuation of your thread, if that's okay, if not, feel free to sick Evamonkey's amazing locking powers on me.

And anyone who has told their story, please don't feel obligated to tell it again, as once is usually painful as well as mutually embarassing enough.

But in a good way! :D
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:18 pm

well...i can repeat my story for the heck of it...
in '97, my first visit to california, i stayed at my parents' friends house and their son (2 years older than me) showed me his eva recordings... he actually had memorized the entire script in Japanese basically...
however, it was with first episode, and seeing that i was 9 or so i wasnt too interested with the plot development in the beginning (with Shinji's arrival) but it stayed in the back of my mind till several years later i stumbled upon it in Hollywood video, after which i started watching it in earnest...

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:49 am

sadsadshinji wrote: he actually had memorized the entire script in Japanese basically...

That's... kinda sad.
Close your eyes and listen hard

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:02 am

but when i was 9 it was really cool...he was really smart and actually had a social life...

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:00 pm

wow. memorizing the entire eva script in Japanese and have a social life, wow

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:17 pm

Well, I guess I have to tell the story sooner or later.....

I have seen Eva on and off for a few years, watching like 10 mins or so of it, everytime i was bored and it was on, but the story had progressed so far that i couldn't follow it. Fast forward like a few years, I'm graduating from High school, and I just built my biggest PC. I take it to a LAN and for no apparent reason, i copy the first 8 episodes of Eva and EoE.

One day whilst suffering a brilliant moment - *starts making music vids at this point* -, I decide to watch the stuff i leeched and presto! I realized I'm wasting my life away infront of a PC that only gives me power to brag to people who don't have PCs like myne! + The last time I had a girlfriend was in kindergarden! - isn't this gonna be a schweet topic from here on in! - so I fell in love with Asuka, broke the shackles that was computer geekdom from my body and mind and set off on a quest to find the whole Eva series, a beter life and a girlfriend! :oops:

And I thought some of your stories were depressing! :cry:

*jumps from balcony of house and falls into pool, results in heavy swearing after realization of failed suicide attempt!*
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”