Rebuild's dub

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Rebuild's dub

Postby AuthenticM » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:17 am

It's safe to say that Rebuild will sport a brand new english dub. One question that arises is whether or not the original cast will return. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original dub was done in 1996, over 10 years ago. If they had a hard time finding the original cast for the dubbing of EoE, then Rebuild will make them sweat. Much of the cast is well over 40 years old now, including Tiffany Grant and Spike Spencer, who have voiced the 14-year old children Asuka and Shinji, respectively, and Amanda Winn-Lee is 34 years old. It would be wise for ADV to gather a brand new team which should be younger and, excuse me if I'm rude, more 'talented'.

A lot of people, including me, hate the dub. I find it unworthy of Evangelion, which is sad when you think about how many people praise it as being the Holy Grail of Anime. A show like this deserves better, if not the cream of the crop. While I personally prefer watching Evangelion in its original language of Japanese, it doesn't stop me from wanting ADV to do Evangelion justice for once. A lot of people watch anime in English, and they deserve as much as me to get the best experience possible when watching their favorite show. Which brings us to this: who should portray the characters in Rebuild? Here's some of my picks:

Shinji: Quinton Flynn (Raiden in Metal Gear Solid 2)
Rei: Suzetta Minêt (EVA (lol) in Metal Gear Solid 3)
Asuka: Kira Vincent-Davis (Lucy in Elfen Lied, Osaka in Azumanga Daioh)

Misato: Jennifer Hale (Naomi Hunter in Metal Gear Solid)
Yui: Suzetta Minêt (obviously)
Gendo: Matt McKenzie (Auron in Final Fantasy X)

What can I say? Metal Gear Solid's voice acting is the cream of the crop.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:36 am

Well, I'm not going to argue against the obvious voice talents of the MGS team, however, how many of us really care about the english dub?

I really don't mind how they do the dubbing, though having good dubs might help bring others into the series and thats not a bad thing (most of the time). So if they can get really good people to do the english dub, that'd be awesome, but if not, I'm not really losing anything.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:42 am

It would be nice if a competent voice director started from scratch in assembling a cast for the Rebuild dub -- but part of me expects the worst. I.e., they'll assemble as many of the oldtimers as possible in a half-baked attempt to keep veteran dubbies happy. -_-
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:08 am

Maybe I'll get a lot of flak for saying this but I've never watched Eva in Japanese and I actually like the original Dub. I don't want to turn this into a debate but I can't really see the problem people have with it but it's down to personal preference really.

As far as the new dub goes, I'd rather they get new voice actors for it anyway seeing as this is completely new. If everything else is going to be new then I don't see why the dubbing shouldn't be.

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Six Winged Angel » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:16 am

I would like the original cast to return if that was not nearly impossible (*runs*)
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:09 am

I'll be honest, the dub doesn't bother me. I actually think for what it is its one of the better ones out there.
I personally found all the actors the original poster recommended to be utter shit. I can't stand the ELfen Lied and Azumanga Daioh dubs at all. Evangelion at least seemed to try. I actually like the Gendo they cast.

But frankly, I've watched the dub once. The rest of time its subtitles for me.

All I really hope is that they bring back the same cast. I don't think they'd go so far as to recast the characters if they didn't have to.
The actor who did Fuyutsuki should be able to come back, he's played a part in pratcially every anime Hideaki Anno has ever worked on and I'm sure he'd want him back for personal reasons.
And Megumi Hayashibara (Rei) just vocied the lead in Satoshi Kon's "Paprika" so I can see her coming back.

I'm more interested in the original cast myself.

But we'll see.

Any idea WHEN Gainax will release some solid and important news about this project? I'm still mostly waiting for at least one REAL still of the new project just so I can see if this new version means complete changes of the characters physical appearances as well.

Gendo2.0
Embryo

Postby Gendo2.0 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:08 pm

Im pretty sure Mrs. grant and spike will come back.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:44 pm

Personally I hope the dub is good as I have the duel audios and like to play the episodes in the backrounds sometimes as I am working and with the English track that's very easy. I also have a friend who has horrid sight issues (not fully blind but somewhat close) and he loves EVA. I know some people that like EVA but don't like reading sub titles as well, not to mention this time around it could gain some good western popularity hopefully the dub will do it justice.

I'd like to here who else could do Asuka, if no one else fit I'd give Grant back her spot. But as I said, I'd like to do some serious searching, something that matches more toward the original's. Spencer doesn't need to make a return, and if they use the same voice actor for Gendo, there will be a blood bath at ADV. Gendo pissed me off the most, his original was great and in my opinion they made his character too realistic almost. I like the vibe the original Gendo gave off voice wise. Misato I didn't mind at all, though like Grant a new actor should be looked for. Rest need to be redone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:14 pm

Ditch Spike and get a woman who can SCREEEEEEEEEEEAM.

Ditch Tiffany and get a chick who sounds like a 14-year-old.

Ditch MacAvery and get somebody who can do a Human Gendo, not a Caricature Gendo.

Ditch Ulu. OH HELL YES. The bad voice directing aside, her voice just doesn't fit Ritsuko at all.

Allison Keith? Meh. She worked sometimes, but the way her voice "breaks up under stress" always bothered me. Mitsuishi's voice is wholly steadfast, in contrast.

There's really nobody in the original dub cast I'd consider a "must-keep", honestly. Clean slate, all around.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby The Bastard King » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:20 pm

Get the cast of Redeath to dub Rebirth. That is all.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:46 pm

Get back Rei, Gendo and EoE Kaworu.

Actually, as far as I know these few are the least likely to reprise their roles, so yeah; might as well go for an all new cast.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:40 am

The Bastard King wrote:Get the cast of Redeath to dub Rebirth. That is all.

Wrong Re-, lol.

Get back Rei, Gendo and EoE Kaworu.

I'm sure somebody else can do a better job of Rei than AWL.

As for the latter two: NO. We want to do justice to the original cast, not give them the bird.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Alfonso
Adam

Postby Alfonso » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:11 am

Nah, the EoE Kaworu sucked. :< He was better than his role in Death and Rebirth which was *awful* but I still didn't like him as much as Series!Kaworu.

Am I the only one who thought the ADV staff did a good job of dubbing? D:
[insert generic 'Asuka is hot' signature here]

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:25 am

Reichu wrote:Ditch Ulu. OH HELL YES. The bad voice directing aside, her voice just doesn't fit Ritsuko at all.

Why does she always yell? Seriously, i can't find a single line without a trace of yelling!

Especially in episode 18! God, my ears are still bleeding.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:49 pm

The Bastard King wrote:Get the cast of Redeath to dub [Rebuild]. That is all.

YES. At the very least, that would make an AWESOME special feature.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Szmitten » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:17 pm

Not to be a party pooper, but Redeath is far from being as funny as it's made out to be.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:10 pm

As long as most of the orginal Japanese cast returns for Rebuild, including the key seiyuu such as Mitsuishi, Hayashibara, Ogata, Yuko... I'll be happy. I could care less about what the dub does, they're probably bring back the orginal voice cast anyway.

The English actress for Misato isn't too bad, everyone else just sucks (I can just barely stand Tiffany and Spike. >_< Though I will give Spencer the fact that Shinji's Rant is funny as hell).

Reichu wrote:Ditch Spike and get a woman who can SCREEEEEEEEEEEAM.

QFT. When you crack up at a character screaming, you know that's a bad thing. ;) (In contrast, my jaw drops with Ogata's screaming.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby felineki » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:34 pm

Szmitten wrote:Not to be a party pooper, but Redeath is far from being as funny as it's made out to be.
Wow, I'm not the only person who thinks this.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:22 pm

felineki wrote:Wow, I'm not the only person who thinks this.

No, I'm with both of you too. ReDeath has it's moments, but isn't the world's greatest parody. Though I must admit, it is the fandub I've seen so far. :P
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:45 pm

ThroneofDravaris wrote:Get back Rei, Gendo and EoE Kaworu.

Actually, as far as I know these few are the least likely to reprise their roles, so yeah; might as well go for an all new cast.

Indeed. Though dub Kaworu will never be as good as the original, I think Gendo and Rei's dub voices were better than their JP ones. *puts up flame barrier*
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”