Eva fan translation(with online translation)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

sharpsnack
Embryo

Eva fan translation(with online translation)

•      
  •      

Postby sharpsnack » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:06 am

I will be translating Evangelion episodes 1-26 and End of Evangelion...with online translation.
I already completed episode 1, but used the translate app on my iphone. For the rest, I will use google translate

I know a bit of Japanese, but not that much :(

keep in mind this is HEAVILY modified from what the app was pumping out, because that was basically unintelligible.
Episode 1:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rtgpU37ECmOH21gkOqpIaNwMmtRPiyQh/view?usp=sharing
nvm lol, i'll just use the translate app
Edit(11/10/23): https://evatranslate.neocities.org/ website for it
+ episode 3’s out now
Last edited by sharpsnack on Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
“Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.”
-Evangelion Unit-01

sharpsnack
Embryo

Re: Eva fan translation(with online translation)

•      
  •      

Postby sharpsnack » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:06 am

Tips on what to change would be appreciated!
“Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.”
-Evangelion Unit-01

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:28 am

Just out of curiosity... what are your goals for this project? Is there something you don't like about the official translation?

sharpsnack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sharpsnack » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:32 am

jeffythedragonslayer wrote:Just out of curiosity... what are your goals for this project? Is there something you don't like about the official translation?

The Netflix one is weird at times, and the ADV one is inaccurate. And those are the only ones easily accessible(legally). Most physical releases are expensive as hell.
My goal is to make an easily accessible sub(hopefully a dub could be done, but i highly doubt i could do that) of evangelion
no lurking on weird websites or spending a shit ton of money
-Evangelion Unit-01

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:48 am

Ah, ok then. I don't know if you have a tier list for how accurate each ADV episode is, but that's something I'm curious to see. For this kind of project it may be easier to start improving the worst and not work in chronological order, but it's your translation.

sharpsnack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sharpsnack » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:57 am

jeffythedragonslayer wrote:Ah, ok then. I don't know if you have a tier list for how accurate each ADV episode is, but that's something I'm curious to see. For this kind of project it may be easier to start improving the worst and not work in chronological order, but it's your translation.

No, I don't have a tier list. But sometimes it's like 4Kids' dubs of things; where you can laugh at it because of how inaccurate it can be. I wouldn't consider it bad, just not a very good way to enjoy Evangelion. And your other point, I'll probably just do it in chronological order.
-Evangelion Unit-01

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:21 am

View Original Postsharpsnack wrote:No, I don't have a tier list. But sometimes it's like 4Kids' dubs of things; where you can laugh at it because of how inaccurate it can be.

like when Asuka calls Shinji an animated turnip, yeah. :w00t:

I don't have much to add right now about your episode 1 script, other than my brain defaults to interpreting "Commander" as "Commander Ikari," but then there is an actual "Gendo" in the script as well which was confusing.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:47 am

Just to point out to those who might not be aware of it - there's the venerable Literal Translation Project rendering of the script; and that the ADV Platinum release subs were a great improvement on their first go-around, and should be considered a third set.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

sharpsnack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sharpsnack » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:07 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Just to point out to those who might not be aware of it - there's the venerable Literal Translation Project rendering of the script; and that the ADV Platinum release subs were a great improvement on their first go-around, and should be considered a third set.
I am aware of both. The literal translation is good, but very weird at times. It's kind of...too literal. The ADV Platinum Collection is like 300 dollars lol, good luck convincing me to spend that much. While the ADV sub is good, it's not easily accessible.
-Evangelion Unit-01

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:06 pm

There are transcripts; once hosted on a companion site, now long defunct. I don't know if this was the final version, but it should be close enough; and I've not looked at Reichu's Arqa Apocrypha site to see if they are hosted there.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:24 pm

I severely doubt that even heavily edited machine translation is going to be anywhere close, let alone better, to even the worst official translation
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

sharpsnack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sharpsnack » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:30 pm

View Original Postsharpsnack wrote:I will be translating Evangelion episodes 1-26 and End of Evangelion...with online translation.
I already completed episode 1, but used the translate app on my iphone. For the rest, I will use google translate

I know a bit of Japanese, but not that much :(

keep in mind this is HEAVILY modified from what the app was pumping out, because that was basically unintelligible.
Episode 1:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rtgpU37ECmOH21gkOqpIaNwMmtRPiyQh/view?usp=sharing
nvm lol, i'll just use the translate app

Episode 2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10oKNiK ... sp=sharing

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I severely doubt that even heavily edited machine translation is going to be anywhere close, let alone better, to even the worst official translation

You're not entirely wrong, but I am also cross-referencing the LTP translation so that I may be as accurate as I can be using machine translation. Plus, I kinda just want to see how this will turn out.

Wait, should I call the angels "apostles", since that's what they are called in the original script, or angels, because that's what everyone calls them?

Posts merged - JoelcrNeto
Last edited by sharpsnack on Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Evangelion Unit-01

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:19 am

View Original Postsharpsnack wrote:Wait, should I call the angels "apostles", since that's what they are called in the original script, or angels, because that's what everyone calls them?

I think that change is not a good idea because the word "angel" appears in english onscreen, like when the 17th is identified. You could call the pilots "apostles" instead because they... evangelize the world... :nyao:

sharpsnack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sharpsnack » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:50 am

View Original Postsharpsnack wrote:Edit(11/10/23): https://evatranslate.neocities.org/ website for it
+ episode 3’s out now

yeah
-Evangelion Unit-01

sharpsnack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sharpsnack » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:24 pm

episode 4
-Evangelion Unit-01

sharpsnack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sharpsnack » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:43 pm

machine translation is completely useless, so i'll be translating it properly by myself
-Evangelion Unit-01

sharpsnack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sharpsnack » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:25 pm

i found a thing
https://twitter.com/JakeTropila/status/ ... 32?lang=en
what do you think i should translate instead
-Evangelion Unit-01

Return to “Fan Works”