-46h (GENERAL)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

-46h (GENERAL)

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:23 am

I think it's safe to assume that -46h is worth its own thread. The hype is real and we'll have a lot to discuss in the coming months. Let's leave the Blu-ray topic for those who are waiting for it to come out and want to answer more technical questions.

The discussion you guys were having there was a good one, so I'm going to keep that thread intact. Any further debates about -46h go here.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

Re: -46h (GENERAL)

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:40 am

i hereby dedicate first reply to blindfolded best girl

The_Max
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The_Max » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:43 pm

We have a very curious way of saying goodbye to evangelion. And that includes Anno himself :rolleyes:

PS: 46h will do pretty much the same as all other evangelion chapters/movies... for each question answered two new questions are created :tongue:
Hey there! I am using EvaGeeks.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:48 pm

It's probably going to be a glorified clip with barely, if any dialogue. Maybe to gauge the fandom interest in a potential movie/manga/whatever else covering the time skip events?

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:51 pm

I'm guessing it will follow precedent and cram as much information as possible as can be done using psychedelic quick-cuts, something similar to the OG OP sequence or Asuka's Shin instrumentality.
Après moi le déluge!

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:37 pm

That eyewear (which gives me Neo in the 3rd Matrix film vibes) has got to be some sort of prototype equipment to keep Rebuild!Bardiel at bay until they put that mini-pillar that pops out in 3.0+1.0 into Asuka's eye. Which i doubt will be a painless process. I'm thinking something along the lines of that scene from Dead Space 2.

The glyphs on there don't seem to be the same Angel-Sealing Hex Glyphs we've been seeing since 2.0 but I'm guessing they serve the same purpose.

Youve got to wonder what Unit she is in if this is a flashback to just after the end of 2.0. Unit 01 is in god mode, Unit 02 is in bits, Unit 00 is in Zeruel, Unit 06 is piloted by Kaworu. Are we going to have everyone look up and see Unit-08 Ex Machina arrive? A repaired and decontaminated Unit 03 maybe?

Maybe to gauge the fandom interest in a potential movie/manga/whatever else covering the time skip events?

I certainly hope so. Give me all the back-stories. Give me Village-3 slice of life stuff. Give me Toji and Hikari's wedding. Give me Asuka and Mari forging their friendship in battle. Now the Rebuild story is told let us explore the world in which Eva exists. And not in some AU Angelic Detective Raising Apocalpyse foolishness.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:00 pm

Considering that Asuka, in that image, has shorter hair than usual and that improvised bardiel seal/eyepatch, I think that it will be set sometime after she recovers from the incident with Unit-03.

It would be interesting to see a reimagining of NGE's Asuka fight against the MP Evas since we never saw them in the Rebuilds, but this time she will win xD. Another possibility is that they will show us the never seen 11th Angel.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:31 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:It's probably going to be a glorified clip with barely, if any dialogue. Maybe to gauge the fandom interest in a potential movie/manga/whatever else covering the time skip events?

There's definitively a lot of interest for the events of the timeskip, so I could see this short as the first of several other medias to tell stories set in this time period.
IIRC Anno said that he was finished with Shinji's story, but not the rest of the cast.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:15 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:
SPOILER: Show

This thing on her face definitely reminds me of Seele's technology, that of Q in particular (aesthetically speaking). It's probably some kind of special monitor, going by those red symbols on it (kind of makes me think about the Neo Nerv logo itself). A cloth monitor... Interesting idea.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:31 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Youve got to wonder what Unit she is in if this is a flashback to just after the end of 2.0. Unit 01 is in god mode, Unit 02 is in bits, Unit 00 is in Zeruel, Unit 06 is piloted by Kaworu. Are we going to have everyone look up and see Unit-08 Ex Machina arrive? A repaired and decontaminated Unit 03 maybe?

I can't find an entry plug canopy pip scheme that matches this one:

In 1.0 and 2.0;

Unit 00 doesn't match:

Unit 01 doesn't match:

Unit 02 doesn't match:

Unit 03 doesn't match:

We never see inside Unit 04. Unit 05 doesn't match:

Mark.06 doesn't match:

In 3.0 and 3+1;

We never see inside Mark.07 or Marks 10 through 12, and Mark.09 as well as Units 08 and 13 appear to use dynamic HUDs instead of canopy pips.

I think she'll be in Model-02α-EIV, featuring a 2.0-style emergency improvised entry plug canopy pip scheme that'll later be further updated with a 3.0-style dynamic HUD.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:04 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:It's probably some kind of special monitor, going by those red symbols on it (kind of makes me think about the Neo Nerv logo itself). A cloth monitor... Interesting idea.

Possibly that green light is the protector beaming the symbols onto here eyeline. There definately seems to be some tech underneath the cloth but over her ears. Unless that's were she's tucked her hair in. She's done something with it anyway, those seems to be bobby pins or hair clips in there.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:48 pm

The red symbols remind me of those containment pillars SEELE/NERV/WILLE use and the one Asuka has inside her eye after the time skip (and more generally the esoteric engravings SEELE seems fond of, as noted, including the one in her medical coffin by the end of 2).

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:32 pm

The red symbols probably should be hex pilar symbology, but they don't seem to be. They're simpler and less dense.

The two holographic displays in front of Asuka, I tried to read them in case it identifies anything interesting, but the largest word in the middle of both are just the word "ACTIVE".

I also checked the clearer keyframes of Asuka's condition at the end of 2.0 to see if there were any similarities, and I guess Asuka being completely blindfolded instead of just having the eyepatch makes some sense since that was how she was with no indication otherwise, eyepatch in the preview notwithstanding.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:27 pm

Definitely not the hex symbols we all have come to know and love... looks like some sort of egyptian hyeroglyphs rendered into a more angular, computer display-friendly font? :D

At first I thought maybe a digital rendering of the cuneiform seen in the Dead See Scrolls, but not really and Why would Asuka be presented with such text in the first place?

I think it's maybe some sort of technical diagrams common in e.g. NERV HQ displays, just that they're rendered small enough (to fit in the visor) that we think of them as text...

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:40 pm

dedicating this reply to midori's mom (tentative name)

What's written on her hat? "charmy"?

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:56 pm

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:Definitely not the hex symbols we all have come to know and love... looks like some sort of egyptian hyeroglyphs rendered into a more angular, computer display-friendly font? :D

At first I thought maybe a digital rendering of the cuneiform seen in the Dead See Scrolls, but not really and Why would Asuka be presented with such text in the first place?

I think it's maybe some sort of technical diagrams common in e.g. NERV HQ displays, just that they're rendered small enough (to fit in the visor) that we think of them as text...

I went looking for Midori stuff and found some glyph stuff instead. Here are three frames from the activation of Shinji's DSS choker in 3.0:

In the first two frames, while the glyphs are still only partially rendered they look more like the glyphs on Asuka's blindfold. So, we're seeing the blindfold mid-activation? A DSS blindfold?

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:32 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:I went looking for Midori stuff and found some glyph stuff instead. Here are three frames from the activation of Shinji's DSS choker in 3.0:

In the first two frames, while the glyphs are still only partially rendered they look more like the glyphs on Asuka's blindfold. So, we're seeing the blindfold mid-activation? A DSS blindfold?

Nice catch! I think we have a winner...

AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:37 pm

I'd want to say that on that side of the blindfold it's not something appearing for the benefit of Asuka or that she could ever read but we see in that frame there's some entry plug hologram HUD in front of her...

Post timeskip she obviously only "need" a eyepatch so I was assuming a complete blindfold is some stopgap solution perhaps because they didn't implant her a mini-pillar yet or something along those lines and/or that it's really early in her convalescence perhaps. The similarity to DSS collar tech suggests a limiter of some sort.
That or perhaps it's an add-on device with a specific purpose (like part of a weapon system).

Replying to a post in another thread:
View Original PostKonja7 wrote:It wouldn't be the first time that Shinji activated abilities of an Eva with his will alone, although he doesn't have full knowledge of what he's doing.

That's one bit I was always curious about. Unless I'm mistaken, the editing goes right from an Eva command handle grip being racked inside Eva 13 by Shinji to the Kaworu commands being disengaged, suggesting causation. Kaworu did nothing to wrestle back control or interfere, I'm not sure Shinji would cut him off actively or consciously like that but it's definitely a moment where he's ignoring him and turning himself deaf to his warnings.

Edit : I'd say this is a sequence where we have another exemple of this with Kaworu saying he'll fix things up before Eva 13 impales itself with the spears. The editing suggests there's a causation by virtue of how those events are sequenced but I know it's debated : the impalement seems part of the rite, not something that would stop the Impact -on the contrary- and his commands are deactivated at that point. Doesn't seem Kaworu is doing anything proactive apart from letting himself be neutralised by the DSS choker.

That whole sequence can be overwhelming and lacunar, which isn't too shocking for what this movie does and being seen from Shinji's POV.

writer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby writer » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:05 am

It could be that the cloth is a quickly created defense against the angelic infection, suggesting that Asuka is loaded into whatever Eva this is to face something imminent (like an MP Eva attack or a 3I scenario).

My prediction is that -46h will start with N3I being stopped, the fallout from that event, and the tale of how 3I came to be. Wouldn’t it be grand to end with 3I initiating, knowing there is possibility for a full on EoE 3I remake? Even better if we get it in -46h, but it feels like this is only one part of a series of minis that will take bits and pieces of what was removed from Rebuild and recreate them to expand the narrative. Anno’s touch will still be there, but the rest of the creative team will have full reign to expand as they deem fit, adding clarity or mystery to expand the vaguer pieces of the puzzle.

Also, let’s hope for some juicy Mari scenes. I think she’s been mysterious long enough. I want solid details, and there is no better place for that than interrogation.
Shinji did nothing wrong!

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:35 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:What's written on her hat? "charmy"?

I think it might be a dramatic-irony "Harmony" at an obscuring angle.
Après moi le déluge!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”