Evangelion phenomenon

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
LEDblshka
Embryo

Evangelion phenomenon

•      
  •      

Postby LEDblshka » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:12 am

Hi all!
I want to apologize right away for my language, I'm using a translator.

The thing is, I've been watching Evangelion for a few days and now I have questions and just my thoughts on the whole thing.

1)Why does Rei appear the moment Shinji arrives in Tokyo 3? You can see her after Shinji looks at the road, gets distracted by the birds and she disappears.Then she appears at the end of Evangelion when Shinji is looking at the LCL sea.  I can't believe it's done for nothing.

2)Kaworu being near Lilith's body says "Now I understand you Lilim" I think it's about Seele deceiving Kaworu about finding his body.(and all because of the mask on Lilith's body) And in that moment Kaworu learns what it means to be deceived like Shinji.

3)It seems to me that Rei has split personalities. Or maybe it's just that her personality contains the memory/perception of Lilith. Like there is some kind of connection between the mother(Lilith) and the children(people) Yes and just between the personalities of Rei's bodies. At the moment when giant Rei appears she has big black eyes with small red pupils, after Shinji says "Rei" her personality seems to wake up. The way Kaworu looks at Rei while in the hand of the metal Eve. It's as if he approves of Rei's creations and wants to show her that.

4)A small thing and I think a lot of people noticed it - Kaworu and Rei's eyes are red, but that's not even the point. I just remembered that angels have red hearts and in the speech there's an expression "eyes reflecting the soul" and maybe that's why they have red eyes)

5)Kaji dies at the hands of a Seele employee. Not an ordinary employee, but the one who took the data from the informant (Kaji) And their place was the planned place of information exchange. After saving Fuyutsuki, I think his life was already over since his role became known to Seele.

6)After Fuyutsuki is kidnapped, the committee refers to him as a teacher and I think it's for a good reason. All or some of them could have really been his students at the university.

7)During the dialogue inside Shinji's head with Rei and Kaworu, the angels ask him if he wants life. To which he replies that he does - he has the will to live. We recall Katsuragi's words after Shinji kills Kaworu. I don't want to look up the exact words, but something like "it's not your fault, he gave up his own will to live" All of which leads me to believe that he stays alive in this world. Huge Rei explodes and souls are set free. I think this implies the same kind of dialogue for the other souls. If they want to live, they will be born again. It's hard for me to explain Asuka, I think there's a logical reason, but it's easier for me to tell you that she was reborn to start the human race again with Shinji.

8)Kaworu in turn gives ownership of the Earth to Rei and her children. So there won't be any arguments between their children (angels and humans). I am reminded of Tolkien's Silmarillion, where angels looked down on humans.

And all in all to me Evangelion is a kind of alternative version of the bible. I'm not religious, but I like the worlds that creators like Hideaki Anno create.

The End.

sithsauron
Adam

Re: Evangelion phenomenon

•      
  •      

Postby sithsauron » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:32 pm

1) Hints have shown that Rei's body is partially made of Quantum Particles. Quantum Particles have a quality called Superposition, which means they can be in 2 places at once, and where they appear depend on the observer. Also there are theories that state theoretically Quantum Particles can travel back through time as well, see this article: https://bigthink.com/hard-science/particle-time-travel/

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:11 pm

3) Rei's soul seems to have been split in two. One half went to Rei I, and was moved to Eva-00 after her death. The other went to Rei II. After Rei II and Eva-00 both died, their soul was reunited and put into Rei III. This is the consensus, at least lol

8) Anyone can reform their bodies if they so desire; Yui says as much. Asuka reformed despite being dead, so it seems that even those who recently died got complemented and can thus return. This is possibly due to Rei's quantum magic bullshit, but reincarnation seems to exist in the Evaverse, so perhaps it's just that the souls can return as the most recent body they inhabited.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:04 pm

1) Quantum Rei, as the phenomenon is commonly called, serves as a way of introducing a certain unsettling aura as well as establishing her connection to the supernatural. In-universe, the most commonly accepted fan theory is that it is Rei-Lilith projecting herself backwards in time as an observer; if you buy into that or not is ultimately a matter of personal preference

2) I don't have the entire dialogue memorized, but I think you may have a less than great translation there; if my memory at all serves me, it's more in line with "I see, so that was the mistake the lilin made", talking about misidentifying Lilith to be Adam

3) It's not so much that Rei herself has a split personality, as much as the black creepy eyes were Lilith's consciousness and calling Rei's name brought her back to the forefront

4) That's an interesting angle, linking the eye color to the cores. Don't think I've seen that one brought up before, that's definitely worth thinking over

5) That is correct, yes. Kaji most likely was assassinated by a Seele agent

6) You definitely have a suboptimal translation there; the "sensei" honorific to Fuyutsukis name in this context means professor rather than teacher; so while yes, he is in a position where he teaches, the fact that people call him by his title does not mean that they studied under him

7) I am not sure what you're getting at with Kaworu, but in the case of Asuka, it is highly unlikely that her and Shinji are the only two people to return; so while in a metanarrative sense, they do somewhat fit the bill for being Adam and Eve-type characters, that analogy is very quickly stretched too far when trying to apply it to anything after the movie's cutoff

8) yes, the Adamic angels by all indication are gone.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

WDS
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby WDS » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:11 pm

View Original PostLEDblshka wrote:3)It seems to me that Rei has split personalities.

She doesn't.

View Original PostLEDblshka wrote:6)After Fuyutsuki is kidnapped, the committee refers to him as a teacher and I think it's for a good reason. All or some of them could have really been his students at the university.

It's unlikely. Gendo consistently refers to them as "the old men", and the five that we see are consistent with this description, so few if any of them would have been "college age" in 1999-2000 (although this doesn't PROVE anything, since you can go to college at any age). Additionally, Fuyutsuki taught in Japan, and all of the Committee members who are also SEELE members (in other words, all of them except Gendo) represent countries other than Japan. Gendo represents Japan. Again, this doesn't prove anything, since anyone can go to college in any country and we don't know the nationalities of the other 7 SEELE members, but it just makes your hypothesis less likely.

A more likely scenario? He was a professor for much longer than he was the Sub-Commander of NERV, you don't have to be a student to address someone as "professor", and old habits die hard.

View Original PostLEDblshka wrote:It's hard for me to explain Asuka, I think there's a logical reason, but it's easier for me to tell you that she was reborn to start the human race again with Shinji.

Snowball, meet hell.

View Original PostLEDblshka wrote:And all in all to me Evangelion is a kind of alternative version of the bible.

It's like Bible fanfiction written by people who've never read the Bible.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”