Question about watching Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Houss
Embryo

Question about watching Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Houss » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:08 pm

Is it fair to say that you need to watch more than one time Evangelion to fully grasp 100% of the plot ? I'm rewatching now, and I'm picking up and understanding a lot more plot points than my first time watching, anyone else experienced the same thing ?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question about watching Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:48 am

While the broad brush outline is there for the "just watch it when it was broadcast" audience, there are indeed plenty of places where chance remarks or asides turn out to be more significant in saying what is actually going on than they first appear.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:31 am

Yeah. Eva is easy enough to understand the broad strokes on a first watch if you're paying proper attention, but like anything else, you will pick up on new things on rewatches that you didn't notice before or - in the case of a first rewatch especially - pieces of foreshadowing that were hidden in plain sight
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Houss
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Houss » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:19 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Yeah. Eva is easy enough to understand the broad strokes on a first watch if you're paying proper attention, but like anything else, you will pick up on new things on rewatches that you didn't notice before or - in the case of a first rewatch especially - pieces of foreshadowing that were hidden in plain sight

Yeah I understood the general idea on my first watch, just felt that some parts weren't clear enough or more like didn't spell things out more clearly and left to the viewer to figure out. But on my re-watch and thanks to the wiki it was a lot clearer. Thanks for your answer !

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:While the broad brush outline is there for the "just watch it when it was broadcast" audience, there are indeed plenty of places where chance remarks or asides turn out to be more significant in saying what is actually going on than they first appear.

Yeah I noticed ! Thanks for your answer !
Double post merged - staff

sithsauron
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sithsauron » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:52 pm

I don't think anyone can fully grasp 100% of the plot no matter how many times they watch it. Even if being told things point blank by official material or being explained certain ideas generally accepted by core fans, there are just too many gaps and reaches to rid doubt about what really happened behind the scenes.

WDS
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby WDS » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:36 pm

You can watch it a hundred times and spend 20 years arguing about it on the Internet and you still won't fully understand it.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”