SEELE vs Human Instrumentality Committee

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

SEELE vs Human Instrumentality Committee

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:21 pm

What's your thoughts on the relation between the two?

In episode 21, Fukutsuki mentioned that SEELE were taking over and bullying the committee in 2002.
From this I assume that Human Instrumentality was already being officially planned before SEELE stepped in.

On the committee's paperwork in episode 2, it says it's the "17th interim report" (in 2015). Assuming that the reports are annual; Human Instrumentality would have been in the planning since 1998, only 2 years before the 2nd impact.
In 1999 when Yui presented her ideas to Fuyutsuki, was she perhaps working with the committee before she got acquainted with SEELE? It was said that her ideas were different from SEELE's, so I'm thinking that maybe Keel was concealing SEELE's true intentions from the committee while the committee were secretly making alternative plans with Yui.

As far as I understand; Keel is the leading board member of SEELE, but also part of the committee as SEELE's representative and has assumed charge over them in the process.
This would put him in a position where he can see which one Gendo is actually loyal to.

In EoE it seems to be revealed that Keel is some kind of cyborg.
I'm yet to figure out how this fits in, but it's got to mean something.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: SEELE vs Human Instrumentality Committee

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:32 pm

I think him being a “cyborg” is just meant to be hinting toward a motivation for why he is embarking on the Human Instrumentality Project anyways. The popular theory is that he was using cybernetic implants to extend his lifespan and that he viewed Instrumentality as a way to live forever.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:01 pm

Yeah, that's the most common explanation and, in my opinion, the one that makes the most sense.

As for the in-universe timeline: I think the Committee is just a buerocratic front put up by Seele so they can mask their much older organization as a legitimate instrument of the state, and at some point have gained enough soft power that they don't feel the need to hide their name anymore
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

WDS
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby WDS » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:54 pm

I thought it was pretty clear (from the voice actors being the same) that the Committee is just 5 members of SEELE plus Gendo, arranged to hash out the details of the HIP while the other 7 members of SEELE can focus on other things like turning frogs gay or building secret Jewish space lasers.

The Instrumentality Project was proposed by Gendo to SEELE in 2004, after Yui's death/disappearance. There was no "Instrumentality committee" before that point. Fuyutsuki does make a reference to a "committee" (ADV 2001 subs) or "Board of Directors" (ADV Director's Cut 2003 subs) but this is apparently not the Instrumentality Committee, unless Anno had a brainfart.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”