Gendo Ikari: Eyes and Humanity

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Gendo Ikari: Eyes and Humanity

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:27 pm

The eyes are the windows to the soul - except when your glowing cross-shaped soul is plainly visible through a big hole in the middle of your face.

Throughout the Rebuild of Evangelion, Gendo has been distant to others, including to the point of distancing himself from his own humanity. In this post, I want to point out how this is paralleled by the depiction of his eyes.

The main theme is: the less visible his eyes are, the more distant he is from human emotion and empathy. The best way to show this, is through illustration:

• Throughout most of the first two movies, he wears his regular orange-tinted glasses. These frequently show his eyes, but partially hidden behind a color filter.
  • When he is being callous (including strategizing on his master plan in his iconic sitting pose), light reflects off his glasses, hiding his eyes completely behind the glare.
  • In 1.0, when Rei's activation test fails and he burns his hands trying to open her entry plug, he breaks his glasses. (This is the pair that Rei keeps in her apartment.) Note that these glasses have clearer lenses than the orange ones. This emphasizes that he actually has an emotional bond with Rei, even if he would deny it.
  • Somewhat similarly, despite wearing his orange glasses in the scene where he accepts Rei's dinner invitation in 2.0, his eyes are shown in more detail than usual when he looks at her and sees Yui.
  • In his last appearance of 2.0, after Unit-01 awakens and brutally kills the 10th Angel ("Zeruel"), Gendo emerges from NERV HQ covered in Angel/Evangelion blood. It covers half his face, including one lens of his glasses, hiding his right eye. This is a premonition of him giving up his humanity into the time skip and beyond.
  • In every scene of 3.0, he appears wearing his new visor, that hide his eyes (and eye sockets) completely from view. This signifies how far he has distanced and isolated himself from others.
  • In 3.0+1.0, the visor gets removed, revealing his actual lack of eyes, and offering a view of a cross-shaped soul manifestation inside his skull. This is the maximum distance he has put himself from human relationships, going so far as to reject his own humanity.

This is a progressive path he took away from the rest of humanity. However, when Shinji confronts him in the Anti-Universe, a remarkable reverse path is shown. When Shinji confronts him, he is surprised to learn he has an AT-field, which apparently defines him as still human. When Shinji pierces it and they enter the "soul train" soulscape, we see:

• Gendo no longer manifests as the eyeless monster. Indeed, his appearance becomes more fluid, but he appears to revert to his NERV commander days, with the very reflective orange glasses.
  • Throughout Gendo's flashbacks, his eyes remain mostly hidden behind reflective glare from his glasses, shadows, simply being depicted from the back of his head, and in one case, a sleep mask. (Although in one or two places, a suffering eye can be seen. He is affected by the Hedgehog's Dilemma, just like Shinji.)
  • At one point, a teenage Gendo with clear (and non-reflective) glasses can be seen. This is Gendo at his most vulnerable, and he seems about to emotionally bond with Shinji. Unfortunately, the scene gets interrupted by Misato creating the Spear and Mari delivering it to Shinji.
  • In the memory scene where Gendo hugs a young Shinji before leaving him (supposedly the moment he gave Shinji the music player), in the moment he sees Yui in Shinji, the glare retreats from his glasses, and his eyes become visible behind them. He still loves her.
  • In his very last appearance, as he is transposed over Unit-13 as he and Yui sacrifice themselves for Shinji's Instrumentality, he is naked and not wearing glasses. His eyes are clearly visible. But also closed. This signifies that Yui (who is in his arms) is the only emotional bond he wants.

By engaging directly with Gendo - with the music player as a catalyst, Shinji is able to remind Gendo that he is still human. The point is not that Shinji restores Gendo's humanity. Gendo restores his own humanity, because he could never truly discard it in the first place; he only needed Shinji to point that out to him. (As for the role of the music player, that would require its own full topic.)

What I find poignant about the (rather stunted) emotional journey of Gendo is that he ultimately apologizes to Shinji for abandoning him, but he never reforges his emotional connection to Shinji. He realizes that he abandoned Yui the moment he abandoned Shinji, and that his 25 years of preparing and executing a metaphysical apocalypse were pointless and unnecessary. He is utterly defeated by that insight. His story is over at that point.

The one point where Gendo and Shinji maybe could have connected is when Shinji in his plugsuit is looking down at a Shinji-age Gendo wearing a Shinji-like outfit. (This is how Shinji perceives himself and Gendo in the Anti-Universe at that moment.) The perspective shifts, and we see Gendo as the NERV commander looking at a toddler-age Shinji - the age when Gendo abandoned him. (This is how Gendo perceives himself and Shinji at that moment!) This would be the moment where Shinji could have extended his hand to Gendo, and Gendo might have taken it. (Remember, we are explicitly told in Village 3 that holding hands forms a human bond!) But this is when the Spear of Gaius arrives, and the moment is interrupted.

So despite Gendo laying out his past, and expressing his regret over abandoning Shinji, he does not reconnect to his son. The eyes are the windows to the soul. And it is interesting to note that there is not a single instance throughout the movies where Gendo engages in unobstructed eye contact with Shinji and one of them does not immediately look away.

But the one gift Shinji was able to give his father before the end was to remind him what it was like to be happy in another person's company. If Shinji had not forcefully reminded Gendo of his humanity, Gendo could not have been at peace in Yui's arms at the very end.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Gendo Ikari: Eyes and Humanity

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:23 pm

Right after watching the movie last year, the first thing my step dad said to me (I made sure to watch with him, for old times sake) was this: Gendo is a guy stuck in the past. He can't move on and is disconnected from himself. He became this good killing machine, but beneath his glasses, he's hollow. There's nothing there, as if he's all show and no substance. The type of person who doesn't accept change in himself or others around him.
We spent some good hours talking about the movie, but this in specific stuck with me. Gendo is the soul of the movie. He's what enables the plot to show how much Shinji has progressed in comparison to his old man, as if they're mirrors of one another.
For what it's worth, Gendo might as well be the single top tier character of this tetralogy in my opinion. He's so exaggerated when compared to original Gendo that at times it feels like a parody, but I'm sure that was the intension. To show how absurd it is for a grown ass man to go through these lengths like he did. Gendo is the child he always accused Shinji of being. What a great fucking character.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:25 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:the child he always accused Shinji of being. What a great fucking character.

Note that he set up Shinji to grow up to be just like him, by leaving him in the care of this faceless teacher. The music player hints at this; it was Gendo's coping device for isolating himself from other people, and Shinji used it in the same way.

The reason that Shinji became anything more than a spineless drone child is because Misato intervened and started socializing Shinji. She promoted herself to being his surrogate mother, and still identified as such in the final battle.

Note that in 3.0 and 3.0+1.0, Misato had her own eye-obscuring theme, including a gradual unveiling process. This symbolizes how she closed herself off to Shinji after Third Impact, but could not keep it up, as her parental love for him kept emerging under pressure. (Note also how Misato wears eye-obscuring sunglasses when she first meets Shinji in 1.0. She is all business in her interactions with him, until she takes them off shortly after.)

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:15 am

Just checked the Q preview to see if Gendo's appearance therein fits in the with progression identified in the topic post and: it does!

SPOILER: Show

Neat!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:26 pm

Good analysis here!
And yeah, I also think the exaggeration of Gendo's insane plans is very intentional. Guy is completely removed from reality. Contrast is extra stark in Shin, when you go from the village life to whatever the fuck Gendo is doing.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:21 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:Note that in 3.0 and 3.0+1.0, Misato had her own eye-obscuring theme, including a gradual unveiling process. This symbolizes how she closed herself off to Shinji after Third Impact, but could not keep it up, as her parental love for him kept emerging under pressure.

That's so true... In a way, Misato was always meant to mirror Gendo. She is, after all, the adult figure Shinji had to look up to. It was all about Misato and Kaji, at least in the original series. What's funny is that, in both continuities, she failed (notoriously in NGE, actually). She was what Shinji wanted his father to be, but she still wasn't perfect.
In the end, Kensuke was the one who looked up for Shinji, as the grown-up figure that he is. That's interesting, as Kensuke also uses glasses, but they're transparent, just like Mari's (unlike Misato, she puts her old glasses back in the end). After all, Mari and Kensuke are both transparent people, who show themselves for what they truly are, unlike Misato and Gendo (at a first moment, at least).
I would also like to point out that the "eye theme" can also be potentially expanded to Asuka and her eye patch...
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:24 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I would also like to point out that the "eye theme" can also be potentially expanded to Asuka and her eye patch...

If we look at the gradual obscuring/revealing of characters' eyes in subsequent scenes/shots, there seems to be the suggestion of a progression of "obscuredness":
- eyes unobscured (the one shot of teenage Gendo in the soul train, Misato without visor)
- eyes behind a colored filter (Gendo's orange glasses, Misato with eyes visible through visor)
- eyes hidden behind a glare (Gendo, nearly all the time)
- one eye completely hidden, the other eye unobscured (Gendo at the end of 2.0 covered blood, Misato with one half of her visor shattered)
- both eyes completely hidden (Misato in 3.0 before Shinji leaves Wille, Gendo throughout 3.0)
(I am sure the state "eyes hidden in the shadow of bangs" could also be fit into this system, but I don't have enough to go on for that myself.)

The important thing here is this:
For whatever reason, having one eye fully covered is supposedly more closed off than having both eyes behind a filter.

Asuka only ever had two "eye states": fully uncovered, and eye patch. So she appeared to completely skip a few steps.

(I'm not sure if the slight blue glow emerging though her eye patch counts for something, though. It seems to convey strong emotion, but not necessarily empathy.)

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:In the end, Kensuke was the one who looked up for Shinji, as the grown-up figure that he is.

I'm not sure if Kensuke really counts as a parental figure. Kensuke's behavior towards Shinji in Village 3 appears to mirror his minor role in NGE (the scene where Shinji runs away, but runs into Kensuke who is camping out in the wild and offers to share his tent against the rain). This scene from NGE was not included in 1.0.

In both cases, however, Kensuke appears to be more like a brother archetype to Shinji, socializing him through a combination of outdoor survival activity and giving him a lot of personal space / privacy. While adult Kensuke seems to have usurped some of Kaji's role as the one who teaches Shinji to love nature, Shinji never appears to treat him as anything other than a peer.

The closest Kensuke comes to parenting Shinji is when he and Asuka are discussing if Shinji has been eating enough. My (rather cynical) reading of that scene is that Kensuke and Asuka are "playing house" with them as the parents and Shinji as the child, but without Shinji ever actually noticing, taking part, or even caring. (I also consider Asuka watching Shinji at the ruins not as the behavior of a guardian, but as that of an ex-crush who is not over him.)

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:49 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:Asuka only ever had two "eye states": fully uncovered, and eye patch. So she appeared to completely skip a few steps.

It strikes me that being the quintessential tsundere, the eyepatch in this context fits extremely well.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:After all, Mari and Kensuke are both transparent people, who show themselves for what they truly are, unlike Misato and Gendo (at a first moment, at least).

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:- eyes hidden behind a glare (Gendo, nearly all the time)

Despite Mari in many regards showing herself for what she truly is, it's worth noting that Mari's glasses are sometimes hidden behind a glare just like Gendo, e.g. in her scene with Fuyutsuki where she's fully leaning into the "mysterious past" aspect of her character.
Après moi le déluge!

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:59 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Despite Mari in many regards showing herself for what she truly is, it's worth noting that Mari's glasses are sometimes hidden behind a glare just like Gendo, e.g. in her scene with Fuyutsuki where she's fully leaning into the "mysterious past" aspect of her character.

Don't forget Mari's opening scene. Her Unit-05 plugsuit had a helmet had a massive visor that obscured the entire top half of her face. Eyes, glasses and all. Interestingly enough, while she was wearing it, she appeared to show no empathy towards anything except Unit-05 itself.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:40 pm

Eyewear hiding the eyes to make someone mysterious/sinister is a very old fiction trope, I recall analysis that the orange tint of Gendo's glasses evoke the orange of the AT-Field, as an illustration to how he closed himself to everyone.

And of course Misato's glasses after the timeskip is the same thing, in fact this effect is even more pronounced for her and Gendo, as the size of Misato's glasses and Gendo's cybernetic visor hides even more of their respective facial features (although obviously, Misato still can remove her glasses), the ultimate showing of Gendo's inhumanity being when his visor is destroyed, revealing that he doesn't even have facial features behind it anymore.

Although now that I think about it, that made me realize why Misato's "From now on, you'll do nothing" to Shinji in 3.0 was so impactful: she actually removes her glasses, which usually is a visual code for someone letting down their emotional barrier... and says those words while making that face of apparent contempt, as if she really came to hate him.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”