Could Gendo have triggered Third Impact while Kaworu was alive?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sailor Haumea
Embryo

Could Gendo have triggered Third Impact while Kaworu was alive?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Haumea » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:12 am

This is an entirely hypothetical question, but one that I discussed with some people on a Discord server. Given that Kaworu has Adam's soul, could Gendo have even attempted to initiate Third Impact while Kaworu was still living (such as in a scenario where Kaworu hypothetically doesn't die in Episode 24 but somehow ceases to pursue returning to Adam), or was Adam's soul required to initiate Third Impact? Basically, would the Adam embryo on its own (without the soul) combining with Rei and Lilith have caused 3I as well?

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Could Gendo have triggered Third Impact while Kaworu was alive?

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:02 am

Third impact, yes, likely.
Contact between lillim dna and adam dna seems to always have the potential to end catastrophically.

Instrumentality? No, unlikely, at least not the way Gendo/Seele wants it to (it would most likely just wipe out remaining human life).
Afaik, it's kinda the idea to replace adam with an eva so control can be taken of the impact and start instrumentality.
If adam was still around, he (kaworu?) would be the one in control instead and unlikely to go the way Seele wants it to.
Thats why all the angels need to be defeated first otherwise any of them would/could interfere with instrumentality.

Gendo wanted to be in control, thats why he had adams embryo in his hand and was about to fuse with Rei / Lillith, but Rei betrayed him, took adams embryo and brought it to Shinji instead.
Seele doesn't seem to care/know about the embryo tho, I think that the MP eva's were supposed to be a standin for that. So in the end, mp eva's = adam, eva-01 = lillith, together, is instrumentality.
Gendo had the embryo so he could do his thing without Seele and their MP Eva's. But that didnt work out for Gendo ...

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:32 pm

/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

WDS
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby WDS » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:09 pm

It's never entirely clear why all of the Angels need to be eliminated before Instrumentality/3I can happen. It could be mechanical, or it could be purely ceremonial. You never know with those wacky SEELE guys.

sithsauron
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sithsauron » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:47 pm

The angel elimination requirement seems to be based on some set-in-stone prophecy in the dead sea scrolls. There is no explanation of why or how this prophecy functions, or if it's FAR instruction manual why they would make it act as a prophecy as well. Yui stated to Fuyutsuki that they knew 3rd impact was gonna happen no matter what.

WDS
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby WDS » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:21 pm

View Original Postsithsauron wrote:The angel elimination requirement seems to be based on some set-in-stone prophecy in the dead sea scrolls. There is no explanation of why or how this prophecy functions, or if it's FAR instruction manual why they would make it act as a prophecy as well. Yui stated to Fuyutsuki that they knew 3rd impact was gonna happen no matter what.

It's also stated that events not foretold in the DSS may happen, and SEELE is constantly worried about Gendo creating his own scenario. I think it's fair to say that the scrolls are subject to interpretation.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”