What would Asuka be like if she had a normal childhood?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

What would Asuka be like if she had a normal childhood?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:28 pm

A thought had recently occurred to me. I think that if Asuka actually had a normal childhood, she probably wouldn’t be as messed up as she is now.

NERV had ruined her life in more ways than one; they robbed her of a childhood she could have had. She never got to experienced her mother’s love. She is left all alone and isolated, with no one to depend on, no one to comfort her and tell her “things will be ok.”. I think that might be the core of Asuka’s problem, and it’s the most tragic thing that could happen to her, other than witnessing her own mother hanging herself from the ceiling. And because of that, she was forced to grow up faster than anyone else, being denied the chance to have a childhood, to make friends, and was just left all alone. All that has really messed up her entire life. She never got the love she was desperately craving.

I think that most people who never had a childhood would most likely revert back to stage of mind where they could have gotten one, to give themselves a chance to experience all of the things they never got to. Since Asuka is still young, and if she’s not devoting her whole life piloting an EVA, she probably would have want to experience some things she never got to as a child, hypothetically speaking. It’s one of those instances where you feel like you want to be able to give Asuka the second chance to experience the life she never had, even to enjoy all the little things she never got to do. And that’s one of the most tragic things there is.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

God
Embryo

Re: What would Asuka be like if she had a normal childhood?

•      
  •      

Postby God » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:09 pm

I suppose the mother becoming sort of crazy is the trigger point which changed Asuka.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:46 pm

View Original PostGod wrote:I suppose the mother becoming sort of crazy is the trigger point which changed Asuka.

Yep, that’s exactly the core of Asuka’s problem right there. If that wasn’t the case, she probably wouldn’t have been messed as she is.

BoosterRooster
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BoosterRooster » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:31 pm

Thats one of the major reasons I want a normal slice of life Evangelion tv show or movie. It would be really interesting to see how these kids would act without their troubled past and without Nerv mentally destroying them. It would also enforce the fact that in the end they're all kids who had a chance for a normal life. Thx for bringing up this super interesting topic.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:44 am

I don’t think this is the hardest question to answer - she’d probably just be a played-straight tsundere like she’s depicted in most spin-offs and fan works.

I think the more interesting question is how would Rei be if she had a normal childhood?

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:10 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:I think the more interesting question is how would Rei be if she had a normal childhood?

I…haven’t ever thought of that. I guess that can go in two different ways.

1. She could develop a bubbly and cheerful disposition, like how she was in that alternate universe as shown in End of EvaTv.
2. She could also be something of Dandere, similar to that of Hinata Hyuga. Kind of like how she is in Shinji Ikari Raising Project.

There’s also a third outcome; she could go into this rebellious teenager phase. I mean, it would be pretty interesting seeing her be something like that, I guess from seeing Rei in some punk/goth girl outfits(which I must confess she does look rather nice in).

As for her having a normal childhood, she could have a better understanding of things, experience emotions she thought she could never have, and pretty enjoy the things she had been depraved of.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”