Is there a fansub that came out in the west before any dubs were available?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
BritKnee
Embryo

Is there a fansub that came out in the west before any dubs were available?

•      
  •      

Postby BritKnee » Sun May 15, 2022 9:56 am

Basically are there any 90s fansubs that I can find, it would be even cooler if they were before the AVD Dub. Also this might be a given but if they arent the directors cut then that would be even better.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Is there a fansub that came out in the west before any dubs were available?

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:28 am

I believe there is a fansub from around that time but I think the ADV dub came first. From my understanding of said fansub, it's pretty spotty in terms of accuracy.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

BritKnee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BritKnee » Sun May 15, 2022 11:34 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:pretty spotty in terms of accuracy.

What is the best way to watch the original broadcasts? I dont have the money for the dvd's so is it on archive or a website like that?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:39 am

View Original PostBritKnee wrote:
View Original Posthui43210#935579 wrote:pretty spotty in terms of accuracy.

What is the best way to watch the original broadcasts? I dont have the money for the dvd's so is it on archive or a website like that?

Like, the original Japanese broadcasts? Not sure that's readily available, and in terms of websites, it is against site policy to share or promote piracy.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

BritKnee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BritKnee » Sun May 15, 2022 1:14 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
View Original PostBritKnee#935580 wrote:What is the best way to watch the original broadcasts? I dont have the money for the dvd's so is it on archive or a website like that?

Like, the original Japanese broadcasts?
No I just mean the tv version that got released on some dvd set (I dont know what its called)
it is against site policy to share or promote piracy
Fair enough Ill look through archive.org then

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 30, 2022 1:08 am

View Original PostBritKnee wrote:Basically are there any 90s fansubs that I can find, it would be even cooler if they were before the AVD Dub. Also this might be a given but if they arent the directors cut then that would be even better.

Here's a thread on a fansub someone gave me at a convention a few years back. It was part of a longer, 6-hour video tape that seemed to be a highlights reel for an entire convention.

HRSM
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HRSM » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:58 am

Much of the early versions of the Literal Translation Project definitely predate the first ADV VHS Tapes coming out in August 1996. (There's also a suggestion the translation was done very quickly after the initial TV Tokyo broadcast via some of the included comments in each file, but I can't 100% verify this). The fansub release by E. Monsoon Studios might also predate some of the ADV stuff, but I'm not certain on this front.

The 2015 "Archives of Evangelion" release contains the Japanese broadcast masters as they were shown on TV Tokyo and connected networks between Oct 1995 and Mar/Apr 1996 and contain the OA versions of Episodes 21-24. There is also a fansub by "Project X" of the non-director's cut episodes from around that period floating around the internet (It's against site policy to share pirated material, but it's not entirely difficult to find)

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”