Funimation Dubs for Rebuild Amazon?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BoogerPoo2002
Embryo

Funimation Dubs for Rebuild Amazon?

•      
  •      

Postby BoogerPoo2002 » Mon May 02, 2022 12:50 pm

Who here thinks that Amazon should have gone with Funimation for the dub of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 and all other Rebuild films on their streaming service? I for one think that they should've, cuz the English voice acting for 3.0 + 1.0 is abysmal in my opionion. I also think that Amazon should use the Funimation dubs for the other Rebuild films, and make a new Funimation dub for 3.0 + 1.0. Anybody here think so, too?
Last edited by BoogerPoo2002 on Mon May 02, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Funimation Dubs for Rebuild Amazon?

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:41 pm

Licensing is complicated, I don't think this would have been possible.
I preferred the Funimation dub too, especially the dialogue differences. I felt a bit sad that a lot of my favourite lines were replaced by lines that felt generic.
In Funimation I wasn't crazy about Kensuke's high voice or Kaji's deep voice, but overall I agree the acting was better.

I'd recommend watching the first two by Funimation then the last 2 by Amazon. The IU 15 year gap makes it seem like their voices have aged in that time and Rei has a slighly different voice because she's not the same Rei.
It works remarkably well.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:07 pm

This might be complete lunacy, but I'm hoping some fan decides to mix in Amanda Wynn-Lee's line readings into the Funimation dub. That would become my preferred version.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:20 pm

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:This might be complete lunacy, but I'm hoping some fan decides to mix in Amanda Wynn-Lee's line readings into the Funimation dub. That would become my preferred version.

There's something in the works, which I still need to sample myself.
post/937215/Evangelion-The-Definitive-Dub-Project/#937215

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:05 am

AWinters wrote:There's something in the works, which I still need to sample myself.
post/937215/Evangelion-The-Definitive-Dub-Project/#937215

I'm working on it! Rebuild will be a while off yet, but 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 will use a mixture of both Funimation and Amazon for what I deem to be the best overall experience in English, while also trying to maintain some sort of consistency between the Series and the Rebuilds.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:55 pm

View Original PostCoolJosh2002 wrote:I'm working on it! Rebuild will be a while off yet, but 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 will use a mixture of both Funimation and Amazon for what I deem to be the best overall experience in English, while also trying to maintain some sort of consistency between the Series and the Rebuilds.

That is really cool! I'm fully on board with this! Do you have a patreon or something so I can support your project?

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:02 am

mastafishere wrote:That is really cool! I'm fully on board with this! Do you have a patreon or something so I can support your project?

No Patreon or anything. This is literally just something I'm doing on my own time and plan to give to the fandom once it's completed. It's really just for those who would like a consistent experience watching Eva in English, and I'm simply creating my own interpretation of that.

WDS
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby WDS » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:49 pm

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:This might be complete lunacy, but I'm hoping some fan decides to mix in Amanda Wynn-Lee's line readings into the Funimation dub. That would become my preferred version.

AWL should never be allowed near anything Eva-related.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”