Cruel Angel's Thesis FULL: Lyrics in the Bridge??

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Cruel Angel's Thesis FULL: Lyrics in the Bridge??

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:11 pm

A question that's irked me ever since hearing the full version (~4min) of Cruel Angel's Thesis. https://youtu.be/lYE8-d4imWY

What's being sung in the bridge section?? The part between the song's two verses is mostly instrumental, until it starts building up to the start of the second verse. BEFORE the second verse begins ("sutto, nemu-tteru, watashi no ai..."), there's a chant-ish section by backing singers, each line echoed after it's sung.

You can find it at 1:45 in the YouTube link, https://youtu.be/lYE8-d4imWY?t=105s. I'm not certain about the consonants being sung but it sounds more or less like:-
...fa i na (fa i na...)
...se na te so (se na te so...)
...fa i na (fa i na...)
KU SE... (music)

I've never seen any copy of the lyrics include this part, and the worst is I can't clearly hear what's being sung, much less type it into a translator. I asked a Japanese friend who couldn't make it out, and then did a brief crawl of Japanese sites to see if anyone else had any leads. It doesn't seem to be in Japanese, even though it's sung that way. One source suggested it might be something to do with "Kabbalah", but that doesn't seem to be what they're singing, and if it's connected in some other way the connection is lost on me.

Please help!
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Cruel Angel's Thesis FULL: Lyrics in the Bridge??

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:58 pm

This has been discussed back in 2019, noone is quite sure which syllables are sung there. It was hypothesized that they’re words in Portuguese, but as a native speaker of that language, I don’t think so, because it would be much clearer for me — unless the pronunciation is really bad.

They look like made-up words, as if it were an unknown language spoken by Angels.

P.S.: I admit that at one point they seem to sing “farya” (ファリャ), which would supposedly faria (would [make]) in Portuguese, an inflection of the verb fazer (to make/to do).
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

kaworuskater
Embryo

Re: Cruel Angel's Thesis FULL: Lyrics in the Bridge??

•      
  •      

Postby kaworuskater » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:19 am

Hi!! As i've always wondered about the same thing, i wanted (or needed lol) to share my theory.

As a french native speaker, i've always heard the words "Maria, c'est ta maison, Maria, tu sais."
Which would mean "Maria it is your home, Maria, you know (it)."
I was thinking of a bible reference? But i'm definitely not much informed about it... I wanted to share my thought anyway in case that would help. :uhh:

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”