Sooner or later could be realized some anime's series that will be severals Evangelion's reboot?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Sooner or later could be realized some anime's series that will be severals Evangelion's reboot?

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:59 pm

Hello everybody I have opened this thread because a few time ago I remember that Anno in a interview of 2016 had mentioned the possibility that in future a new generations of directors could make Evangelion a franchise much like Gundam so with several different anime's series and timeline that don't interact with each other.

So this are the questions that I give to you because I want to know your opinions and assumptions on this topic:

1) You want that this one day can becoming or reality? Also please explains the why you will want or not.

2) You are afraid of what it could be because you don't want a Evangelion too much distant to NGE or you are curios to see something really new?

3)We could get a new incarnation of Shinji and the cast that can be different from their original version or a new completely?

4) The Evangelions how much different can be?

5) You wish that Angels and the SEELE remains or you prefer a new antagonist?

Be free to express any opinion, hypothesis and theory on this topic, I will be happy to read your opinion and discuss with you.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Sooner or later could be realized some anime's series that will be severals Evangelion's reboot?

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:50 pm

In my opinion, it may take a long time until someone has the courage to take on Evangelion. It would have to be a complete redesign with all the characters and Evangelion looking completely different. Unless Anno personally has a protege who understands the ins and outs of the franchise we will have to wait until someone with the creative talent to provide all this new storyline. I wouldn't mind watching something that was set in space with more of a war-like aspect (ok I know that sounds just like Gundam, but I'm actually referring to the beginning of Eva 3.33).
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Sooner or later could be realized some anime's series that will be severals Evangelion's reboot?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:50 pm

Evangelion as a whole, in both its formats, is so closely tied to Anno and his ideas (and states of mind!) that I find it hard to imagine any new material counting as being part of the same property.

Sadamoto's manga was basically a retelling of Anno's story, with tweaks, and he was involved in the original proposal anyway; but all the other mangas have nothing to do with the essence of Evangelion - they have simply appropriated and trivialised its characters.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:28 pm

SPOILER: Show
ANNO: I wrote a lot of things. The main thing was that I was aiming to make Eva into a Gundam, or a classic. One of the ideas was to create a new series under the title of Evangelion as part 2. My ideal was to create "G-Evangelion".

Do you mean a work that turns over the very concept of Eva, like G Gundam did in the past?

ANNO: Yes. Gundam did quite well with "G". It had a breakthrough with "W", but went downhill a bit with "X". Then "S" was the big breakthrough, and it continued. That's the ideal scenario (laughs). Before that, there was "V" though.

So the note was not about the content of your work, but rather about your business concept.

ANNO: That's right. It's not so much about business as it is about the future of the animation industry. I don't like to call anime "content," but when I think about business, this term is less misleading than calling it a product, so I call it "content" here. When you think of animation as content rather than a product, I think that animation content other than kids' content is currently on the point of not progressing well.

In terms of kids' works, there is a full range of content such as "Anpanman," "Doraemon," "Pocket Monsters," and "Crayon Shin-chan." The products are constantly being updated, and I think they're working well. Many of the works have already been running for more than ten years and still seem to be doing well in the future. I think this line will continue. However, when I think about it as my concept of animation, I worry about the fact that there is only "Gundam" at the moment.

That's an issue I've been thinking about myself. I worry that there are so few character goods that span a long period of time.

ANNO: Right. I wondered what would happen to the anime industry if it continued to have only "Gundam". Even in tokusatsu, which is said to be an industry that is losing ground to newcomers, there are "Kamen Rider", "Ultraman", and "Super Sentai" to support it. This has been going on for thirty or forty years. The great thing about "Super Sentai" in particular is that it has been renewed every year without stopping. This is not the case with "Ultraman" and "Kamen Rider," but in the end they have become a steady line that continues to this day.

The tokusatsu industry is supported by these three, but the anime industry I'm involved in has only one support, which is Gundam. "Space Battleship Yamato," which was intended to be a steady line a long time ago, has not been able to be realized due to various reasons.

The only other anime that I can think of that can be made into a steady line is "Macross".

ANNO: Macross is doing well, but it hasn't yet reached the point where it is accepted by the general public. Ghibli anime is also becoming more popular, but I feel like I'm watching Disney anime, so it's hard to say it's a steady line. After all, Gundam is the anime goods that office workers can put on their desks at work. If it's a Gundam mobile suit, even if others see it, they can just think, "He likes Gundam." It's not just for nerds, it's an anime that's approved by the general public. That's the great thing about that work.

There aren't many other anime goods that you can put on your desk at work. That's why I want there to be as many contents other than Gundam that support the animation industry in a different category than Ghibli, or Hayao Miyazaki now. That's one of my main motivations. Eva is an anime goods that you can barely put on your desk at work. So, I want the new "Evangelion" to continue ten or twenty years from now. I hope that young people, not me, will be able to do it one after another on their own.

I see. So the desire to develop "Eva" into something like that was a major motivation for you before "Rebuild of Evangelion", wasn't it?

As you can see, he specifically compares it to Gundam, but unlike that franchise, Eva's derivative material (so far) has kept the same cast but modified the setting to varied degrees, as in Eva's case its characters and their dynamics seem to be paramount (whereas with Gundam the setting is preserved instead - with some recurring appearances). I wager we'll see something similar with a future Evangelion animation. Even Shinkalion included Shinji, Asuka and Rei again, though many people speculated Shinji would no longer be featured anywhere because he "is" Anno... something Anno himself has dissociated himself from, for a while. The way Shin dealed with the whole loop/multiverse question is vague enough that it doesn't even matter if a new animation is canon, a sequel, or not. So you could conceivably have the ANIMA anime or even something entirely new.

Anno says he turns to live action when he runs out of things to say with animation. “There are certain things that just can’t be done in animation - the characters are symbolic and can’t reach the same depth of emotion as, say, the actress in ritual,” he explains. But he adds quickly: “Only Japanese animation really explores our interior world and emotions. Japan is probably the only country that makes animation for adults as well as children.”

It’s the differences in approach to animation between Japan and the West that makes Anno reluctant to collaborate on international projects. Neither is he interested in live-action remakes of his work. “The mental structure is too different between Hollywood and Japan,” he says. “There may be some Japanese film-makers who can collaborate with Western creators, but I’m not one of them.”

https://www.screendaily.com/awards/hide ... 55.article

Maybe this rules out the dreaded future Netflix adaptation after all. Nonetheless, Anno, being the tsundere he is, might even come back himself at some point, though not necessarily as soon as he's done with the, ahem, other Shins.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:26 am

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:In my opinion, it may take a long time until someone has the courage to take on Evangelion. It would have to be a complete redesign with all the characters and Evangelion looking completely different.

Well yes indeed, a new completely Evangelion should be a long-term project that needs to be designed down to the smallest detail.

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:I wouldn't mind watching something that was set in space with more of a war-like aspect (ok I know that sounds just like Gundam, but I'm actually referring to the beginning of Eva 3.33).

Mmm perhaps in that kind of work it can be that there is no angels and the villains using their own version of Evangelions for contrast the those of the main cast. It sound interesting for me.

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:The way Shin dealed with the whole loop/multiverse question is vague enough that it doesn't even matter if a new animation is canon, a sequel, or not. So you could conceivably have the ANIMA anime or even something entirely new.

Nonetheless, Anno, being the tsundere he is, might even come back himself at some point, though not necessarily as soon as he's done with the, ahem, other Shins.

I would be really interested in a ANIMA's anime but I have to say something completely new it's the real deal even if I rather would prefer that the ANIMA anime be released before a possible reboot.

About the possibility that Anno will be involved once again he have said that one day it could be possibile that the 14 years time-skip between 2.0 and 3.0 can be explored, so who knows?

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:47 am

I don't want Evangelion to be very distant from the original with the characters in the story and ect. It could cause hate on "G Evangelion" in my opinion it should be kept close to the source material and I don't see Shinji as a character with a harshness because watching clips from Shinkalion is such Shinji type would be a fag rather than a c*nt I would still see the Evangelion Kids spin-off where Evangelion characters go to kindergarten

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:18 am

@ Asugran233 well I honestly expected a comment like your. I know that there is a lot of people who really hate the idea of ​​an Evangelion different than the original one, the fact that Rebuilds have also been received negatively and not only positively is proof of this.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:41 pm

I'm the polar opposite there, I think the slavish adherence to the original cast is the very thing that is causing all of these adversial effects; as pwhodges has pointed out, everything not mainly written by Anno (or in the case of the manga heavily based on something written by Anno, even if it already goes in that direction) is, at best, appropriating and trivializing existing characters, shallow lip service to the original work that carries none of the meaning and importance. Eva has place for more stories, and I think it's a disservice to reduce it to "but it has to have these characters in it". Writing by checklist is never good, if the goal is to have more mainline Eva in a sustainable way, it has to break from its established cast, and probably also its established aesthetic.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:57 pm

I'm a little curios to see a Evangelion with a completely new cast and plot. If I have to be honest what I would really hope to see is a anime that will use the original plot of NGE so we could finally have a look toward the FAR but I know that is not going to happens, sadly (:|

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:30 am

What we’re talking about here are essentially stories that both:
1. Do not take place in-continuity (e.g. AU/spin-off)
2. Do not feature the main cast

This is an EXTREMELY hard ask. Just about every anime/manga spin-off you can think of falls into one of those two categories. Literally the only two properties I can think of that actually do both are Gundam and the Fate series, and they both pull it off because the key thing about them isn’t the characters or themes or continuity, but the scenario. Gundam is just “war but with giant robots”; this is an incredibly general template that’s very easy to write “in-theme”. Fate obviously has the Holy Grail War, a concept seemingly purpose-built for AUs.

Eva just… doesn’t fit that bill, at ALL. It’s a story so intrinsically linked with the characters themselves, and the most important part of the story are the character’s internal struggles, rather than the scenario they’re in. And while I don’t have any hard evidence for it, I’m gonna postulate that unlike Gundam which is mostly popular for its robot designs (it’s basically a Pokémon-like franchise at this point, the model kits have transcended the source material and basically sell themselves) and Fate which is mostly popular for the wacky anime interpretations of famous historical figures, Evangelion is primarily popular for its characters.

Like, I’m not gonna say it’s IMPOSSIBLE… I’m just highly skeptical that it’s something that can - or should - be done.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:27 pm

I feel like people overestimate which elements are actually necessary to Eva quite substantially. A lot of Eva's core themes and even large parts of the aesthetic do not really ride on the presence of this specific set of characters, or even the world they are in. For a little thought experiment, imagine Pacific Rim (the original, not anything that came after), but replace every instance of Jaeger with Eva, Kaiju with Angel and see how far that alone gets you. I'd say the end result is pretty close.

As for properties that do this - JRPGs, on the regular. I'm not versed in FF lore by any stretch of terminology, but to my knowledge, the overwhelming majority of them are completely standalone with metaverse connections at best; the same goes for a lot of others.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:26 pm

…yea, but isn’t Pacific Rim better as just its own thing? It has its own character and aesthetic, and would not be improved by palette-swapping to look like a live-action Eva movie.

Like, I dunno, I’d rather see new, original stories inspired by but creatively distinct from Evangelion. God forbid Eva goes the way of once-beloved Western IP like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:17 pm

Yeah, I'm not saying that PAcific Rim would have been better as an Eva thing, just that making Eva completely detached from the original story and characters is not nearly as impossible as it might seem.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:08 am

View Original PostArcher wrote: This is an EXTREMELY hard ask. Just about every anime/manga spin-off you can think of falls into one of those two categories. Literally the only two properties I can think of that actually do both are Gundam and the Fate series, and they both pull it off because the key thing about them isn’t the characters or themes or continuity, but the scenario. Gundam is just “war but with giant robots”; this is an incredibly general template that’s very easy to write “in-theme”. Fate obviously has the Holy Grail War, a concept seemingly purpose-built for AUs.

Eva just… doesn’t fit that bill, at ALL. It’s a story so intrinsically linked with the characters themselves, and the most important part of the story are the character’s internal struggles, rather than the scenario they’re in.

For me may still be possible to create a story where the main plot is aimed at the internal conflicts of the characters with a new cast and plot different from that of NGE.

View Original PostBlockio wrote: just that making Eva completely detached from the original story and characters is not nearly as impossible as it might seem.

The fact is that the people are so attached to NGE and its characters that they cannot accept something different that it still carries in the name of Evangelion in its title.

PS: @ Blockio since you are moderator I have some questions to give you, I'm hope you can give me answer please:

1)If I want to talk about the possibile next movies directed by Anno that may have the word Shin in their titles then I should opened a new thread in Film and Video Forum or I should talk about it in my thread of the Shin Japan Heroes Universe?

2) If I want to talk about the possibilities of remake of Nadia The Secret Of Blue Water then I should opened a thread in the Anime and Manga forum?

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:38 am

Yeah, but my point is if the characters are different and the plot is different, why does it need to be linked to Evangelion in the first place? Like, you’re right, I DON’T want something different that still carries the title Evangelion. I don’t really want ANYTHING else that carries the title Evangelion, to be honest. I don’t think it’s IMPOSSIBLE to do, I just think that it’s highly unnecessary and that any attempt at it would be better served by just being its own original story.

One of the things I appreciate about anime/manga over Western media is that they know when to stop. If you’re really popular, you MIGHT get a spin-off or two; if you’re really REALLY popular you might get a sequel series (but even this is a rarity). Outside of a couple notable exceptions, most IP’s just end, and that’s that. Maybe I’m being overly cynical and pessimistic, but I’d rather not see Evangelion get turned into a shambling husk like Star Wars, James Bond, LOTR, Jurassic park… etc cetera et cetera.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:01 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:One of the things I appreciate about anime/manga over Western media is that they know when to stop. If you’re really popular, you MIGHT get a spin-off or two; if you’re really REALLY popular you might get a sequel series (but even this is a rarity). Outside of a couple notable exceptions, most IP’s just end, and that’s that. Maybe I’m being overly cynical and pessimistic, but I’d rather not see Evangelion get turned into a shambling husk like Star Wars, James Bond, LOTR, Jurassic park… etc cetera et cetera.

I understand your point but for me it can't be helped, Evangelion is a gold mine and so right for this I believe that Anno could take the choice of let to the Khara to use it more and more in future even if him will not longer get directly involved in management of the characters and plot.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:03 pm

You know, in 1988, I suspect most people thought it was impossible to do Gundam without Amuro and Char. Then they did, again and again to various degrees of success.

I think the reason we think Evangelion cannot be done without the characters is because it's never really been attempted. If they try, it'll probably work out like Gundam and bring in a new generation of fans while most of the original fans move on.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:34 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:You know, in 1988, I suspect most people thought it was impossible to do Gundam without Amuro and Char. Then they did, again and again to various degrees of success.

I think the reason we think Evangelion cannot be done without the characters is because it's never really been attempted. If they try, it'll probably work out like Gundam and bring in a new generation of fans while most of the original fans move on.

I just don’t think it’s really a good comparison. Gundam from the beginning was written by Tomino, with the first three series all following different groups of characters. Quality aside, the idea of different installments following different characters written by the original creator has been with the series basically since its inception.

Evangelion, on the other hand, has had only these same characters for 20+ years, with a grand total of one notable new addition, who’s memorable for all the wrong reasons. You can’t go back in time and un-set that precedent. Also, I personally find it difficult to believe that any future Eva projects will have Anno involved in anything more than a high-level creative advisor/producer role, unlike Tomino who personally worked on many of the Gundam sequel series.

Again, I’m not saying it’s IMPOSSIBLE, I just don’t think Gundam’s success is a good weathervane for the potential success of unrelated Eva spin-offs because their starting points are so different. Evangelion will be making a MUCH bigger pivot, with a MUCH greater precedent to overcome.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:43 am

Archer I agree.

For new media (ova, series, movies) to exist, I think there's only 2 possibilities.
1, expand on the current:
Tell stories from the timeskip, make a prequel, tell short stories about minor character (a day in the life of penpen or some shit)

or 2, cross-overs and spin-offs
Think a series much like the super robot games, crossing over into other stories while not taking itself too seriously.
Or a complete spinoff, like girlfriend of steel, raising ikari etc.

Both cases would stick to the original cast, or at least take place in a universe where the original cast exists.

Expanding on Eva without its characters, I think it can only feel like a blatant ripoff and only disappoint. I think gundam and eva are poorly comparable. Where gundam's story covers a large time period, large scale conflicts and wars, several heroes and villains from those wars. It wouldn't take much to come up with a complete new story in a universe like that. But eva, eva is much more personal. The story has largely been about the characters, the angels, eva's and other tech is more or less just window dressing for that personal story. Without its characters, eva would be just another mecha anime, imo.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:45 am

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:PS: @ Blockio since you are moderator I have some questions to give you, I'm hope you can give me answer please:

1)If I want to talk about the possibile next movies directed by Anno that may have the word Shin in their titles then I should opened a new thread in Film and Video Forum or I should talk about it in my thread of the Shin Japan Heroes Universe?

2) If I want to talk about the possibilities of remake of Nadia The Secret Of Blue Water then I should opened a thread in the Anime and Manga forum?

Yeah, both of these are the right place. There is an Nadia thread already existing, you could put it in that, but since it's about a very specific aspect, a new thread works just as well.

Archer wrote:I just don’t think it’s really a good comparison. Gundam from the beginning was written by Tomino, [...] written by the original creator has been with the series basically since its inception. [...] unlike Tomino who personally worked on many of the Gundam sequel series.

That's the thing tho, Tomino very much did not work on most Gundam shows. Off the top of my head, he did 79, Z, ZZ, CCA, F91, Victory, Turn A, G Reco and wrote the book on which the current HF movies are based. Not only has he not worked on other shows, he has gone on record a handful of times saying that Gundam shows done by other people are so unbearable to him he didn't even watch the majority of them all the way.
The comparison to Gundam very much holds in that aspect.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”