Captain Earth: The poor mans Evangelion?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

Captain Earth: The poor mans Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:58 am

Hey all, been meaning to rewatch this gem of a show and see if it holds up as well as it does in my mind. All I can remember is it follows a monster of the week trope, has some good character development, a magical girl despite it being a mecha anime, and is not as well known as Evangelion. If you've seen it, I'd like to know your thoughts on this show, and how you compare it to Evangelion or any other mecha show you've seen. If you haven't seen it, the transformation sequence and pylons are at least worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mFJuGQbtJo
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Captain Earth: The poor mans Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:14 am

I haven't seen it since it aired. I remember liking it well enough for what it was as a kind of basic monster of the week series, but I also remember thinking the ending fell a bit flat.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:04 pm

Most of what I remember is stock footage per episode of the robot transforming in space as well as the hacker girl performing some sort of belly dance. Also, the main couple maybe had more of a Shinji/Rei rather than a Shinji/Asuka angle going on.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:04 pm

Come to think of it, I remember thinking the little squirrel guy in Captain Earth looked a lot like the little squirrel guy that was in the game Tales of Eternia.

Put little squirrel guys in more anime and video games IMHO.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:55 pm

I watched it as it aired and I recall it being incredibly mediocre and being a poor man's Stardriver more than anything else. Didn't see any parallels to Eva, but it has been nearly a decade since it aired so there might be some that I don't remember.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Return to “Anime and Manga”