Obsession of Evangelion.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

Obsession of Evangelion.

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:28 am

Hi all, the fact that we’re all members of a forum about Evangelion makes me think we’ve all been a little obsessed with the show, manga, or movies in one way or another. I’m curious to know how deeply you’ve been obsessed with Evangelion or how much it’s affected your life in one way or another?

For me when I first discovered Evangelion I recorded it on my dvr when 2.22 aired on toonami in 2013. I would end up watching the movie over and over, even during my lunch breaks from work I’d go home and watch the dummy system scene because that part just had a strong hold over me. I would end up consuming as much info as I could from this forum and ultimately end up buying the show+EoE DVD’s from a member of this forum.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Obsession of Evangelion.

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:31 pm

Being on the road a lot in my job made it impossible to get a coherent feel for Eva until much later than most. Once I was able to run through NGE a couple of times it pretty much became mental "crack" for me. 3 dimensional broken characters, without being totally good or totally evil, but a mix of gray areas seemed like such a novel concept compared to the cookie cutter reality of entertainment as we knew it before hand. Like it or not it was easy to see the good or the bad in yourself on that screen and that really gets in your head.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:19 am

I'm meeting Evangelion via NSFW site
SPOILER: Show
(beacuse i'm pervet)
and I kept thinking Agents (it's via of Totally Spies cartoon) later discored that is mecha anime and back then I didn't feel like watching because I didn't really like anime but in December 2020 I decided to watch Evangelion on Netflix with Japanese dubb and Polish subs and at the turn of 2020 and 2021 I watched the movie The End of Evangelion then I started to discover a lot of things on the wiki that I hadn't known about Evangelion and I think there is such a thing as Rebuild of Evangelion which initially I did not want to watch but watched in winter 2021 back then I wasn't a huge fan of Evangelion but after having fanarts with Evangelion and Asuka I rediscovered them and started being a psycho fan and August 2021 Evangelion 3 + 1 came and I cried so I knew it was over...but I felt Evangelion was in my heart... :asuka_sad:

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:57 am

Didn't know a thing about Eva until 2019. Became interested after watching NGE when it came to Netflix, and then became obsessed after watching NTE when it came to Prime.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:25 pm

I would not say I am obsessed with Eva but I find myself referring to it mentally quite a lot as a form of therapy. I suppose it is like when you think about how similar you are to characters when faced with difficult situations or feel like there is a lot of resonance with the characters. I also find myself thinking about the ending of Shin Eva where Shinji finally seeks his resolution and that encourages me to do something about my own problems too.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

gekojay
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gekojay » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:13 pm

A few years ago I watched the series and End of Eva on Netflix with my friend in his theater room and just started fuckin bawling during the third impact.
I liked the rebuilds (really like thrice upon a time), but End of Eva was what hit me the most on an emotional level. Financially speaking it's definitely impacted me cuz I got the Collector's Edition Blu-Ray, Evangelion Finally on vinyl, a bunch of figures, the manga, posters, shirts... it'll prolly keep getting worse
Also I got fired from a fast food job for blasting Cruel Angels Thesis
I can't function as a human being
My MAL

YTPrenewed
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby YTPrenewed » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:40 pm

"Obsessed" is a little too strong a word, but I like how anime often pairs cuteness with shock value when western animation tends to put them in separate shows (to the lesser extent that they even go for cuteness at all) and NGE feels like an especially strong example of this; a dramatic rather than only comedic one, at that.

That and I admire Anno for finding a constructive outlet for his issues. (Makes me wonder if that's what Misato seeking a constructive outlet for her longing to avenge her father was a reference to...)

That and many aspects of various characters remind me of myself and/or people I know.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:17 pm

I think one can be a fan and not be obsessed. One doesn't necessarily go with the other. I've watched the show in 2014, then I really was quite occupied with it in my free time for 2-3 months, joined up here and read a lot of fanfics and info. I wouldn't say I regret it, we consume fiction to better ourselves also, and Eva certainly made me think a lot and gain a lot of interests. Afterwards I'd only browse here sporadically, same for my similarly light participation on Facebook groups and the reddit. I got re-involved again late 2017 when I joined the EGF Discord, which I left (or got kicked from) more than once and decided not to return because it was consuming a lot of my time - though this wasn't because of Eva content itself so much as just spending time in Discord too much. After all, my actual forum post count is not that high. I only got really heavily involved, through the wikis, in early 2019 in preparation for Netflix. Ever since then I usually have one month or so of heightened activity. At this point I haven't really done much since September.

Certainly, life goes on, I do not revolve my life around it but I do not feel I miss any enjoyment from the fandom because of it. I have met fans that do get obsessed for one months after first watching the series and then completely disappear - often to get obsessed with something else. And others that have been fans consistently with varying intensities for five, ten, fifteen, twenty years. It's an interesting case of, shall we say, internet ethnography. Eva fandom has a remarkable amount of "institutional memory", that Evageeks itself, both the forum and wiki(s) have had a major part in maintaining. It allows one to meet fans of several different ages, experiences and backgrounds, which I find fascinating far beyond Eva discussion itself, thus leading to a lot of interesting people met and friendships formed. Eva is one the very few fictional things I really follow and can consider myself a fan of, otherwise I barely spend time with fiction at all. The world, after all, got a lot more interesting recently, and opportunities abound.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”