Did Anno turn Eva into RahXephon?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ark
Adam

Did Anno turn Eva into RahXephon?

•      
  •      

Postby Ark » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:22 pm

I haven't got round to watching 3.0+1.0 yet, but I've listened to plenty of commentary about it and know pretty much how the plot unfolds. I have to say, it sounds a lot like the end of RahXephon. Is it? RahXephon was always stereotypically presented as the best Eva clone. A lot of people even used to say it was an improvement on Eva, but you don't really hear that now. To me there were certain things that made the two very distinct. Even thinking about the Rebuild films I've already seen, they're much closer to RahXephon than the original series ever was.
Maya Ibuki- "We're so lucky to be living in such a wonderful time."

sithsauron
Adam

Re: Did Anno turn Eva into RahXephon?

•      
  •      

Postby sithsauron » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:09 pm

I'm just gonna say with the time-skip added to the Eva storyline, this statement is Hilarious.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:44 am

Just the bit where they turned instrumentality into a tuning between 2 mecha's. That seriously gave me RahXephon vibes, I literally went out loud "hah, has that come full circle".

But the comparison ends there, imo. Storytelling, worldbuilding, action, background etc, aren't even close.

Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ark » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:50 am

View Original PostZoop wrote:Just the bit where they turned instrumentality into a tuning between 2 mecha's.

I don’t think I’ve even heard of that one. What stood out to me the most is the protagonist redesigning reality so that nothing science fictional exists/has happened, he’s an adult and in a relationship with one of the other characters. That’s exactly the same as RahXephon’s last scene.
Maya Ibuki- "We're so lucky to be living in such a wonderful time."

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:06 am

I'm referring to one of the gendo's things said (tho this could just be weird subbing), I dont remember the exact text, but it was something about cassius and longinus, hope and despair, 01 and 13, tuning towards eachother. Tuning the world? Something like that at least. All that was missing was the two mecha's starting to sing :p

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:04 am

View Original PostArk wrote:I haven't got round to watching 3.0+1.0 yet, but

View Original PostArk wrote:I don’t think I’ve even heard of that one.

I think you ought to watch it yourself and not build an interpretation on bad commentary. I've seen enough of that from March-August and when I actually saw it realised that people were idiots. Don't get thirdhand interpretations.

pathstrider
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pathstrider » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:45 pm

As another person says, you should see it yourself.

But now you’ve put it like that, yeah I’d say 3.0+1 closer to raxhephon. Ymmv as to whether that’s a good thing or not.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:19 pm

Closer? Maybe - but it's not as though they have a lot in common even so.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:25 pm

It already had funny intersections like the character designer doing the manga adaptation (In case of Rah, it wasn't the character designer but Buchi's second choice for the CD)

https://animetics.files.wordpress.com/2 ... phon-2.jpg

The funniest thing is that those designs or at least the origin of them were intended to be used in Brain Powerd, but when it was decided that Nagano would make the designs, izubuchi used the designs for his debut in Rah. So it all somehow ties to Tomino.

But yeah, eva went full rah (and I do think rah is way better than evangelion in the plot/lore/characters) since it is intended to be mysterious, different from the more sloppy evangelion in this regard.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”