Evangelion: The Definitive Dub Project

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

Re: Evangelion: The Definitive Dub Project

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Wed May 08, 2024 11:02 pm

OneShotPunch wrote:Nice to see that it came out! Will you finish the movies before working on the alternate versions listed in the folders (such as OG cast Death2)?

Yeah that's the plan. I wanted to get the OG Maya versions of 21-26 out earlier (which is out) but the rest I'll start handling once I've finished the main dubs.

The first alternate version will likely be the Consistency version of the Rebuilds, then the other ones as I go.

OneShotPunch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OneShotPunch » Fri May 10, 2024 7:23 pm

I think of all the versions, "NGE TV Cast" for the Rebuilds sounds the most interesting. I'd love to hear Tristan MacAvery's voice on Rebuild!Gendo, but how far will this go? Just everyone ripped straight from the ADV dub, down to Touji and Kensuke?

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:41 pm

OneShotPunch wrote:I think of all the versions, "NGE TV Cast" for the Rebuilds sounds the most interesting. I'd love to hear Tristan MacAvery's voice on Rebuild!Gendo, but how far will this go? Just everyone ripped straight from the ADV dub, down to Touji and Kensuke?

NGE TV Cast means the cast used for the TV series in this combined dub, so mostly ADV, with a few VSI cast as well.

That one is honestly more an experiment. If I can replace the line with a suitable line from the original series then it will be replaced, if not then it will be left as is. 1.11 and 2.22 will likely be as far as the experiment goes, considering that 3.33 onwards is largely original.

Regarding anyone who does reprise in Rebuild their lines will likely just remain as the Rebuild ones.

OneShotPunch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OneShotPunch » Fri May 31, 2024 2:13 am

For the Rebuilds, I saw you chose Jerry Jewell to play Kaworu. Do you prefer his performance over Daman Mills?

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Fri May 31, 2024 6:18 am

View Original PostOneShotPunch wrote:For the Rebuilds, I saw you chose Jerry Jewell to play Kaworu. Do you prefer his performance over Daman Mills?

Yeah, I do prefer Jewell's Kaworu (He was the first voice I heard play the role of Kaworu) so he will be Kaworu for 1.11-3.33.

However as I said, the first alternate version I get onto will be the Consistency version of the Rebuilds, where Mills will be Kaworu.

OneShotPunch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OneShotPunch » Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:47 pm

the first alternate version I get onto will be the Consistency version of the Rebuilds, where Mills will be Kaworu.

I guess I was little surprised since Daman seemed like a closer voice match for Clifford Chapin compared to Jewell. Not that it's a problem of course, Jewell was pretty good in the part. When it came to the Rebuild voice cast, was matching your series' voices something you were thinking about or was it more picking what you felt was a better performance for the movie?

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:51 pm

OneShotPunch wrote:I guess I was little surprised since Daman seemed like a closer voice match for Clifford Chapin compared to Jewell. Not that it's a problem of course, Jewell was pretty good in the part. When it came to the Rebuild voice cast, was matching your series' voices something you were thinking about or was it more picking what you felt was a better performance for the movie?

A bit of both. The big problem is naturally that Funimation's dub is for all intents and purposes unfinished, unlike NGE where both dubs are complete. (With ADV's arguably the most complete due to also having dubs for the OA versions of 21-24.) This is partly the reason why I decided there should be two versions of the Rebuild dubs. The Consistency version, designed for consistency with the dub of 3.0+1.11, (which is basically Amazon dub with Shinji, Misato, Asuka, Gendo and Sakura using lines from Funimation because they're the same actors and they're mostly better in those dubs), while the Definitive version (which is my personal recommendation) is the version that's a more equal split between the two dubs, but you live with the fact that about half the cast changes for 3+1.

Regarding Kaworu, I went with Chapin because I think he is one of the highlights of the VSI Dub, but I also think he's pretty equal to Greg Ayres from ADV DC, but if I went that route, that means I'd likely go with Aaron Krohn for Death and EoE and while I like his Kaworu, I can't stop hearing Kaji in his voice. Tbf though, I think both Jewell and Mills are fantastic Kaworu's, easily top 2 in English. Jewell just edges out Mills for me for the top spot, so he got the spot in the Definitive version. (Kaworu was probably the toughest choice for Rebuild though, a lot of the other characters I had a clear thought for who I wanted to voice them.)

Besides, I personally feel Funimation's dub is fantastic, and I want to use as much of it as I can.

Return to “Fan Works”