MP-Eva statue at the end of Death?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
geistygal
Embryo

MP-Eva statue at the end of Death?

•      
  •      

Postby geistygal » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:07 pm

Hi! So I watched Death for the first time tonight (not Death(true) or (true)^2), and noticed that the concrete(?) structure that Kaworu was sitting on when he met Shinji looks almost identical to a decapitated Mass Produced Evangelion. How is this possible? Is this just Anno teasing the content that was to come, or is it actually supposed to be there?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Re: MP-Eva statue at the end of Death?

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:24 pm

Ah yes, there's been a lot of old discussion about that bizarre statue. It seems to be a mashup between the traditional depiction of an Angel, a petrified headless Mass Production Eva, and Lilith all at once.

thread/3736/whats-that-statue/?hilit=statue
thread/4447/Angel-Statue-from-Episode-24/?hilit=statue

One of the best analyses ever of the statue, its relationship to Kaworu and its multiple layers of symbolism was made by Reichu on the ancient Eva Commentary site, link below -
https://web.archive.org/web/20071107153 ... hizou.html
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

RussianRiz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:01 pm

I just love the symbolism present in the statue. It itself makes no sense in being something we've seen before, but can be a tease of the future content, like the Evas-MP, as like you said. It has the clear resemblance that Ursus cited above.

The parallel with Kaworu is very apparent. It sounds like a headless fallen angel, just as Kaworu ends his appearance.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:17 am

I've always imagined this statue to be the remains of Unit 00. It exploded alongside the 16th angel and that's what's left of it. Makes sense, right? It's in the exact place where Ayanami died and looks like an Evangelion. We all know Unit 00 was gone by episode 24, afterall.
I obviously know it's too small to be Unit 00. However, I think it's definitely connected to what happened in episode 23. Maybe that's what happened to the Evangelion's core...
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:59 am

@Bernardo - interesting that you should make that suggestion...

UrsusArctos on 19 October 2007 wrote:We never ever see a statue like this anywhere else before in the series, and it only comes up along with Kaworu in the very end. Combine that with the bleeding, and I wonder if that's Kentucky Fried Eva-00's remains, compressed in size. Apart from the obvious Lilith/MPE resemblances outlined in the article, there really is no data on that Statue's origin. Tokyo-3 is an odd place to keep a wierd Angel statue like that, where'd it come?

Occam's Razor is that it's just a statue that was included for symbolic purposes, but somehow the idea of it being the petrified, shrunken, mutated remains of Eva-00 + Armisael post-kaboom is strangely appealing.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:10 am

I would like to point out that this statue appears to have breasts, as does Unit 00 after merging with the 16th angel.
SPOILER: Show

I know this only happens in the DC episodes, but these are the ones most of us watch today (they're also linked to EOE and Death).
Anyway, we all know that Unit 00 became a giant "light version" of Ayanami before it self-destructed. I personally believe this has something to do with how Armisael came into contact with the Evangelion and Ayanami herself (as she has Lilith's soul and all). I mean, we even got a glimpse of some other angels before both beings were wiped out (which reinforces the connection between the event and the 16th angel). Of course, this could also be the outcome of Unit 00's self-destruct mode ("DriveA Mode:D"), even though it didn't happen in the manga and OA episodes.
In any case, it appears that Unit 00 somehow "broke its limits" on that occasion (it even got a halo). The statue may be what's left of it. The wings could symbolize the Evangelion's "ascension".
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:12 pm

I'm so glad this was pointed out as I missed it completely, but it just makes sense to that it's the remains Unit 0 ...it really fits other wise what other reason would a statue with these characteristics be there for? Maybe the scale is off a bit but it wouldn't be the first time right? I guess tho' explaining it "in universe" one would have to figure out where all the water came from?? Or were they turning every combat crater into a pond/lake?
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

geistygal
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby geistygal » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:14 am

Wow, just wanna say, I love this community already. Was worried (and almost certain) that this had been discussed before, and I'm thrilled that we can still discuss this in length despite being an older topic.

It never occurred to me that it could be the remains of Unit 00! I like that theory the most :3

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:18 pm

I've been mulling this over for some time and now I believe that the answer to this is referenced in the Manga.
(Hidden for those who haven't read the Manga yet)

SPOILER: Show
In the final chapter, a lady on the train references the "Relics" that are scattered around in the distance, which are fossilised Mass Produced Evas from a previous timeline.
So, I think the relic in the anime is a hint that there has been other timelines before it

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:16 pm

For that matter, 3.0+1.0 has much the same take on things.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:57 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:For that matter, 3.0+1.0 has much the same take on things.

For me, this helps confirm that a continued chain of timelines was always the plan, even during the making of the original series. Now I'm able to rewatch the series with a new perspective.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:54 pm

Wow, I had never considered the Unit-00 connection, and it clicks well in a way that seem obvious in retrospect. The only major issue, as brought up, is that the statue is clearly much smaller than an Eva. But let's compare that to what happened with Adam, who famously made becoming a being of light and then shrinking in size cool during Second Impact. Albeit, Unit-00 in this comparison becomes petrified, while Adam becomes a feasible embryo for.. reasons, but this can probably be handwaved as Unit-00 being an imperfect copy of Adam, and would also neatly foreshadow the Mass Production Evas becoming petrified in EoE.

I like this theory, and am now incorporating it into my head canon. Thanks, Bernardo!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:35 pm

@Sachi: I had come up with the same thought all the way back in 2007! :tongue:

View Original PostAWinters wrote:For me, this helps confirm that a continued chain of timelines was always the plan, even during the making of the original series. Now I'm able to rewatch the series with a new perspective.

Sadamoto's manga was always its own continuity. NGE had always come off to me as structured around multiple possibilities for existence, as seen in Episode 26 rather than anything resembling a looping timeline.

Also, this whole discussion brings back bad memories of sequel theory and its most infamous proponent...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”