If Misato didn't get fatally shot in EOE, would she survive till the end?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

If Misato didn't get fatally shot in EOE, would she survive till the end?

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:20 pm

I just wonder that, could she go with Shinji inside Unit One and avoid becoming liquid?

Amalgam429
Embryo

Re: If Misato didn't get fatally shot in EOE, would she survive till the end?

•      
  •      

Postby Amalgam429 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:21 am

Honestly, I don't feel like this could've been the case. The most likely outcome is that Misato would've had the same fate as all others - dissolve into the sea of LCL and eventually have the option to return from instrumentality. Actually, if you go frame by frame a Rei guardian can be seen. This implies that Misato actually did participate in instrumentality and didn't necessarily "die".

The most poignant part of instrumentality to me is the fact that it is Shinji's decision. The world is in his hands. He has been given the power of a god by GNR. To have another in the cockpit takes away from the importance of the entire scene. Instrumentality is ultimately Shinjis's revelation that it is better to live in a world with pain as long as it means you have the ability to experience happiness. The importance of that cannot be overstated.

To answer your question directly - in a way, Misato did survive to the end. Like all others who underwent instrumentality, Misato has the ability to come back from the sea of LCL, as long as she has the will to live.
SPOILER: Show
This is especially true if you subscribe to loop theory, however, the analysis of that is currently panning out. The rebuilds always make things more complicated - but are definitely worth looking into if you haven't already. Misato is a bit of a hardass though.

Hopefully, this helps!
"How's it goin?"

"Aha, well, it's going, I guess"

- Kaji

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”