Theory on the Lance of Longinus

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
n2eva
Embryo

Theory on the Lance of Longinus

•      
  •      

Postby n2eva » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:46 pm

It may be that the Lance is actually, at its core, a double helix DNA device. The helix is a tightly wound spiral and is encased in its own body where the ends, or two "contact points", pierce into an Angel (also through any A.T. Field). This mixes the two DNA types and results in the Angel's neutralization. It's been alluded to that the Spears are living beings* all their own, especially when one is seen to expose some gill-like organs during an encounter with Arael.

It should be noted that the man-made ones used by the Mass Production Evangelions in the End of Evangelion are solid cylindrical bars in their staff portions as opposed to the twine configurations of the originals.

*See Properties section here,

https://evangelion.fandom.com/wiki/Spear_of_Longinus
"Oh, my god, no. Please! What is that? Don't tell me!"-- Jack Burton
"But if I were you, I'd leave the Doctor alone until after he's eaten breakfast. He's a very crude man."-- Raoul Duke

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”