The 2 confessions and "sukis"

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
T. K. Simon
Lilith

The 2 confessions and "sukis"

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:10 pm

From an objective point of view, analyzing the contexts of one and the other .... Is there a notable difference between the statements of Shinji / Asuka (RoE) and Kaworu / Shinji (E24)?

Are both statements genuinely romantic?

Write your thoughts :devil:

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: The 2 confessions and "sukis"

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:53 pm

Kaworu's "suki" in NGE is ambiguous, because it doesn't specify what kind of feelings Kaworu has toward Shinji (only that he likes Shinji). Thus, Shinji's "suki" as an answer at the end of episode 24 is ambiguous too.

Asuka's "suki" in 3.0+1.0 couldn't be taken in a non-romantic way, because it wouldn't make sense. In the conversation, she is saying she liked Shinji in the past, but she grew first. That couldn't be interpreted as a "friendship" like.

Shinji's "suki" in the Instrumentality should be romantic too, since it's an answer to Asuka's "suki".

Curiously, I've understood Rei Q's confession or "suki" in 3.0+1.0 movies is ambiguous. It seems her confession doesn't exactly specify whether she likes one person or several. The dub takes the most shippy interpretation.
Last edited by Konja7 on Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:59 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Kaworu's "suki" in NGE is ambiguous, because it doesn't specify what kind of feelings Kaworu has toward Shinji (only that he likes Shinji). Thus, Shinji's "suki" as an answer at the end of episode 24 is ambiguous too.

Asuka's "suki" in 3.0+1.0 couldn't be taken in a non-romantic way, because it wouldn't make sense. In the conversation, she is saying she liked Shinji in the past, but she grew first. That couldn't be interpreted as a "friendship" like.

Shinji's "suki" in the Instrumentality should be romantic too, since it's an answer to Asuka's "suki".

^ That is also my interpretation.

One thing I want to add is that several people claim that with Suki from Asuka / Shinji (which is in a romantic way)
Shinji / Kaworu's suki (E24) is also automatically romantic, which in my opinion is to be analyzing things very little.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:40 am

You don't need to see any of them as necessarily romatic. Context changes, and everything is up to interpretation as usual. I like that Kanemitsu went with an essentially neutral interpretation again, with Asuka saying "had a crush on you" and then Shinji saying "you liked me/I liked you". It goes both ways, that's great. For that matter, Rei also says it referring to Shinji she boy she suki'd, and IIRC when referring to the villagers also. All of those usages are open to interpretation, by design, so you consider context and other evidence you can find. Rei's example is particularly interesting because you can definitely debate if she loved him romantically or a friend or brother, just like people did with NGE. So yeah.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:00 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Asuka's "suki" in 3.0+1.0 couldn't be taken in a non-romantic way, because it wouldn't make sense. In the conversation, she is saying she liked Shinji in the past, but she grew first. That couldn't be interpreted as a "friendship" like.

There's no reason that should be unambiguously romantic.

Asuka liking Shinji in 2.0 could be taken as her liking him because of his ability to fight and take a leading role against the Eighth Angel, which is something that Shikinami, who has spent her lifetime training to fight, deeply respects and appreciates. She realizes that she needs to take the help of others and that the boy who she thought was an irresponsible brat who got in because of his family connections was actually a capable fighter. Shinji seemed to like her because she had begun to open up to him, unlike the individual who kicked him (twice!) and who he now saw as a friend. Shinji's reaction to Rei being swallowed by the Tenth Angel seemed far more violent than his reaction to Asuka being seriously hurt by his Eva's dummy system, and Shinji's embrace of Rei at the end of 2.0 seemed far more openly romantic than any of his interactions with Asuka.

Asuka grew up and became a battle-hardened veteran whose body had begun changing as a pseudo-Lilin. She was colder than ever to Shinji and she was outraged with him for not taking responsibility one way or the other - something that she sorted out with him in 3.0 + 1.0, and hence, ceased to like him the way she had earlier. Shinji himself realized that Asuka had become a far different character from the one he had known earlier, and could no longer like her the way he had earlier.

I'm not saying that the two of them having romantic feelings for each other is ruled out - not by any stretch! - but it's going too far to say that Asuka's "suki" couldn't be taken in a non-romantic way.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:15 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:
View Original PostKonja7#931015 wrote:Asuka's "suki" in 3.0+1.0 couldn't be taken in a non-romantic way, because it wouldn't make sense. In the conversation, she is saying she liked Shinji in the past, but she grew first. That couldn't be interpreted as a "friendship" like.

There's no reason that should be unambiguously romantic.

I think what Ursus says is correct.

Also in my opinion, it was a combination (she loved him romantically, but she also loved him as a relative, something she never had)

Regarding the 2 confessions and their respective contexts:

Asuka says at some point in the movie "I liked you back then" something that seems not to be true (with her reaction afterwards), Asuka also says "but I grew up first", that with her behavior in the movie, it is clearly a fault of sincerity.
Her reaction on the beach is a bit ambiguous, she may blush and turn because she still loves him (my impression) or blush and turn because she never expected him to return her feelings (even if we consider that she still he has them)
We have the prequel manga, where it seems that in those 14 years, she still remembered it, and it seems to have not moved from it (well, considering Shin)

Shinji's confession "I liked you too" is ambiguous, in the sense of who he is referring to, Asuka NGE or Asuka RoE (or both), although of course, if it is only for Soryu as a meta-reference, the confession it would be much cheaper for Shikinami.
Although this seems to be much more direct on the subject of time, it seems that it was just "past".

It is also important to take into account whether Shinji returns at the end of shin to the "real world" (evangelion, for them, is the real thing) or another Reality. Since if he meets Asuka again, possibly be very different.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:01 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:For that matter, Rei also says it referring to Shinji she boy she suki'd, and IIRC when referring to the villagers also.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems Rei's "confession" in Japanese could have different interpretations. It doesn't specify if Rei Q likes one person or many people.

Now, even the one person interpretion, it doesn't exactly specify if Rei Q's "suki" towards Shinji is romantic.

The english dub needs to choose one of the interpretations, so it chose the more "shippy" option. I should mention the word "shonen" (boy) doesn't seem to appear in the Japanese "confession".

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:There's no reason that should be unambiguously romantic.

Honestly, it would be pretty difficult to read Asuka's "suki" as non-romantic in that part. I mean, Asuka also said "I think" and "but I grow first". It would be pretty weird if her "suki" means relative or friendship.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't understand how Shinji is supposed to (romantically) like Asuka either.

However, I don't think Asuka's "suki" is supossed to be ambiguous by the creators.

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:31 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos#931020 wrote:There's no reason that should be unambiguously romantic.

Honestly, it would be pretty difficult to read Asuka's "suki" as non-romantic in that part. I mean, Asuka also said "I think" and "but I grow first". It would be pretty weird if her "suki" means relative or friendship.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't understand how Shinji is supposed to (romantically) like Asuka either.

However, I don't think Asuka's "suki" is supossed to be ambiguous by the creators.

Sure, I understand you, the impression is that it is a romantic suki, not "family".

But it is a possibility according to what we see in the flashbacks (her mentality and story) and it is not ruled out.

Still, I think the suki that Asuka / Shinji say is romantic.

And the "I love you" Kaworu / Shinji, at least Shinji's is ambiguous

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:02 am

View Original PostT. K. Simon wrote:And the "I love you" Kaworu / Shinji, at least Shinji's is ambiguous

The "suki" in Episode 24 is ambiguous for Shinji and Kaworu (after all, Shinji's "suki" is an answer to Kaworu's "suki").

It's ambiguous, because it doesn't specify their feelings (only that they like each other).

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:44 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostT. K. Simon#931027 wrote:And the "I love you" Kaworu / Shinji, at least Shinji's is ambiguous

The "suki" in Episode 24 is ambiguous for Shinji and Kaworu (after all, Shinji's "suki" is an answer to Kaworu's "suki").

It's ambiguous, because it doesn't specify their feelings (only that they like each other).

Well, Kaworu told him that he loved him in NGE, in 3.0 + 1.0, he said that he wanted to make him happy always. Why did he love him? Because he was him like him? Because he was a good person, with a pure heart? :???:

RussianRiz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:55 am

Kaworu's phrase is intended to be ambiguous, as he is an Angel and is not fully aware of human relationships. I always interpreted that Kaworu loves Shinji for what he sums up about humanity: fear, insecurity, but also curiosity and tender feelings. It's more about wonder than carnal feelings.

For me, Asuka's phrase is more direct and less ambiguous. It's a romantic confession, from the context of the sentence. She says she grew up before, she soon got over that silly platonic crush. The phrase makes total sense like that.

What bugs me about Shinji's answer is the difference in time scale. For Asuka it was 14 years dealing with it, and soon she got over it and grew, as she says, but for Shinji it was only a few weeks... How did he get over it? Were their feelings the same tender? I think this is where the ambiguity lies. It's a shame that the -120 min manga throws some of that away. I think it does a disservice to the development of the character arc. Asuka didn't need to be waiting for Shinji.

About Rei's phrase, I believe she also speaks in a more direct and romantic way, so she is created precisely for that, as 2.22 reveals. That doesn't lessen Ms. Lookalike feelings anyway. It's a really cute scene.
Last edited by RussianRiz on Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:07 am

View Original PostT. K. Simon wrote:Well, Kaworu told him that he loved him in NGE, in 3.0 + 1.0, he said that he wanted to make him happy always. Why did he love him? Because he was him like him? Because he was a good person, with a pure heart? :???:

In 3.0+1.0, Kaworu mentioned he is drawn to Shinji, because they are similar.

It's implied Kaworu see himself reflected on Shinji. That's why he wants to make Shinji happy, because Kaworu wanted to be happy.

This is similar to Rei II, who wants to give Shinji a life without the Eva, because that's the life she wants for herself.

PS: There is also a debate whether NGE is part of the loop in NTE or not.
Last edited by Konja7 on Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:19 am

For me, Asuka's phrase is more direct and less ambiguous. It's a romantic confession, from the context of the sentence. She says she grew up before, she soon got over that silly platonic crush. The phrase makes total sense like that.

Well, I don't think Asuka has gotten over her unrequited love, for things like the manga -120, the beach scene and the "I grew up first" means that she has matured and changed, something that seems not to be the case

Of course, Shinji gives the impression that he got over it, that this is over.

PS: There is also a debate whether NGE is part of the loop in NTE or not.

I know there is a debate as to whether NGE is part of the cycle (For me it is not), but Shinji seems to be aware of other loops (and if you can imagine it, dimensions), but Asuka on the beach seems not to be aware of this

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:42 pm

View Original PostRussianRiz wrote:Kaworu's phrase is intended to be ambiguous, as he is an Angel and is not fully aware of human relationships. I always interpreted that Kaworu loves Shinji for what he sums up about humanity: fear, insecurity, but also curiosity and tender feelings. It's more about wonder than carnal feelings.

I never thought about it as "wonder" before, but if Kaworu likes/loves Shinji for his curiosity and tenderness, that does seem like an appropriate reaction.

Kaworu really is a mysterious character in both NGE and Rebuild, and the implication that he's the same character as his NGE incarnation makes him even stranger. I always saw Kaworu's perspective on human nature as being that of a being with an observer's perspective on human nature, rather than being completely unaware of human relationships like the other Angels.

Why do I think Kaworu has some understanding of human relationships? I suspect that it's because he is a liminal being, and as stated in 3.0 + 1.0 he serves as the "shore" or boundary, neither here nor there. He is Lilin enough to easily pass as one and interact with Lilin on an equal level, but he is equally is the last of the Angels and the vessel for the soul of Adam, the mother of all Angels.
He is a being who understands the A.T. Field as both a physical manifestation of the soul's power and the psychic barrier that prevents one soul from connecting to another, and that's an understanding that only a being who has been on both sides of the divide can completely understand. Of course, Kaworu not being a Lilin probably means that he is extremely lonely or broken in a manner that we don't actually get to see, because Kaworu's enormously strong A.T. Field also manifests psychically/pschologically, preventing others from truly understanding his character and suffering.

Well, Kaworu told him that he loved him in NGE, in 3.0 + 1.0, he said that he wanted to make him happy always. Why did he love him? Because he was him like him? Because he was a good person, with a pure heart?

I know this sounds crazy, but the thought occurred to me that Kaworu's heritage from Adam was showing at that point. Kaworu gets his soul from the mother of all Angels, and it's even possible that he sees Shinji as a vulnerable child at a subconscious level and so reaches out to him, treating Shinji as he would a child. Given the tremendous influence of mothers and maternal affection that runs through NGE, Kaworu might be a substitute "mom" for Shinji. Shinji's already associated Rei with a mother - and quite specifically , his mother - and it's not much of a stretch for Shinji to be gravitating toward Kaworu as a child would towards their mother ("mother is the first other" and all that), especially since someone not yet grown into an adult would want maternal affection after the line of trauma that had brought things down to this point.

Kaworu, having taken Lilin form and having gotten used to Lilin culture and behavior, probably could connect more with Shinji as a Lilin child than with any of his "original children" (The Angels) and might have approached Shinji and taken on that sort of maternal role out of loneliness.

So why does Kaworu love Shinji and want him to be happy? It's what a mother would feel like and want.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:10 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:I know this sounds crazy, but the thought occurred to me that Kaworu's heritage from Adam was showing at that point. Kaworu gets his soul from the mother of all Angels, and it's even possible that he sees Shinji as a vulnerable child at a subconscious level and so reaches out to him, treating Shinji as he would a child. Given the tremendous influence of mothers and maternal affection that runs through NGE, Kaworu might be a substitute "mom" for Shinji. Shinji's already associated Rei with a mother - and quite specifically , his mother - and it's not much of a stretch for Shinji to be gravitating toward Kaworu as a child would towards their mother ("mother is the first other" and all that), especially since someone not yet grown into an adult would want maternal affection after the line of trauma that had brought things down to this point.

Curiously, I think Rebuild associate Kaworu with the idea of the father. That's why there are some parallelims between Kaworu and Gendo (and Shinji) in 3.0+1.0.

Although Rei and Kaworu want Shinji to be happy, they approach this differently. Rei II wants to protect Shinji from pain, while Kaworu tries to guide Shinji to happiness. These concepts are often associated with mother and father respectively.

PS: Also, we don't know if Adam is the mother of the Angels in Rebuild movies.

TsuyoiOuji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TsuyoiOuji » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:47 pm

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Kaworu's "suki" in NGE is ambiguous, because it doesn't specify what kind of feelings Kaworu has toward Shinji (only that he likes Shinji). Thus, Shinji's "suki" as an answer at the end of episode 24 is ambiguous too.

Curiously, I've understood Rei Q's confession or "suki" in 3.0+1.0 movies is ambiguous. It seems her confession doesn't exactly specify whether she likes one person or several. The dub takes the most shippy interpretation.

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostT. K. Simon wrote:And the "I love you" Kaworu / Shinji, at least Shinji's is ambiguous

I don't want to invalidate your opinions, but this is overflowing with bias. And I don't mean that as "waifu-wars" bias.

You guys are completely disregarding the fact that Eva was made based on, and aimed at, Japanese people/culture (specially how different it was in the 90s when NGE was made). You can't just take a superficial translation of the word 好き (suki) as "ambiguous like/love" and analise it as if the characters were westerners, using it as westerners do.

For Japanese people NGE Kaworu was ambiguous due to his unclear nature and motives, however Shinji leans much more to the romantic side as the audience knows he is human and he, for the most part, also saw Kaworu as human (and Japanese boys don't ever use 好き to other boys as friendship irl.). Even if it is still just on the same level as his crush over Rei and Asuka, this means a lot more from a show made in the 90s. Even nowadays big studios refrain from making any kind of in-your-face BL/bi content (take !Free for example, or how even Yuri on Ice is censored tho the ship is canon).

For the rebuilds the (Japanese) audience changed their view of Kaworu to a much more human existence, giving validation of his feelings as such. Besides the whole 'nother level of liberty they took when compared to NGE.

Of course I don't mean "everyone agrees with this" and "this is the one true ship". But in the end it is a much more level field between Kaworu, Rei and Asuka for the Japanese than westerners.
In the end, everything was kept ambiguous to an extent because romance is not the main point of the show, and probably more important... it would make a lot of investors back off, decrease sales, cause fans to rage, etc.

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:54 am

I don't want to invalidate your opinions, but this is overflowing with bias.

For Japanese people NGE Kaworu was ambiguous due to his unclear nature and motives, however Shinji leans much more to the romantic side as the audience knows he is human and he, for the most part, also saw Kaworu as human (and Japanese boys don't ever use 好き to other boys as friendship irl.). Even if it is still just on the same level as his crush over Rei and Asuka, this means a lot more from a show made in the 90s. Even nowadays big studios refrain from making any kind of in-your-face BL/bi content (take !Free for example, or how even Yuri on Ice is censored tho the ship is canon).

For the rebuilds the (Japanese) audience changed their view of Kaworu to a much more human existence, giving validation of his feelings as such. Besides the whole 'nother level of liberty they took when compared to NGE.

In the end, everything was kept ambiguous to an extent because romance is not the main point of the show, and probably more important... it would make a lot of investors back off, decrease sales, cause fans to rage, etc.

I do not make any prejudice for your information, I am giving my opinion based on the contexts of each one.

I disagree with your opinion, as you know, nothing in Eva is simple.

The Shinji of E24 is very different from that of E1-E15, or also that of E23, he is completely alone, he no longer has anyone, and true to his personality, he believes that nobody loves him and everyone because he is weak (physically and mentally )

Kaworu appears in an extraordinary situation, we cannot compare 3.0 + 1.0 with E24 (in one Shinji looks like a Therapist and the other is a totally depressed being.

The Suki 3.0 + 1.0 is also a bit ambiguous, maybe he liked it romantically, or also as a familiar (something that according to his flashbacks, he never had), in my opinion it is a bit of both

While it is true that most of the time "Suki" is used in a romantic way if it were a normal person (mentally), Shinji's (E24) Suki referred to?

romantic ?, as an idealized person worthy of admiration? Is Shinji lying to himself? i don't know..1

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:10 am

View Original PostTsuyoiOuji wrote:You guys are completely disregarding the fact that Eva was made based on, and aimed at, Japanese people/culture (specially how different it was in the 90s when NGE was made). You can't just take a superficial translation of the word 好き (suki) as "ambiguous like/love" and analise it as if the characters were westerners, using it as westerners do.

I'm not disgregarding the cultural aspect. It's pretty clear they wouldn't dare to show a gay relationship. That doesn't change they mantain the feelings ambiguous in the story.

Japanese boys wouldn't normally use "suki" to other boys (trust me, that isn't so different to other countries). However, in Episode 24, Kaworu's nature as angel makes his "suki" ambiguous, while Shinji uses it after he killed Kaworu (as an answer to what Kaworu said). It's difficult to qualify their feelings in that context.

View Original PostTsuyoiOuji wrote:For the rebuilds the (Japanese) audience changed their view of Kaworu to a much more human existence, giving validation of his feelings as such. Besides the whole 'nother level of liberty they took when compared to NGE.

However, although the Rebulids changed Japanese view of Kaworu to a much more human existence, I've understood that the Rebuilds also cast doubt between Japanese audience on whether Kaworu's feelings are romantic or not.

View Original PostTsuyoiOuji wrote:Of course I don't mean "everyone agrees with this" and "this is the one true ship". But in the end it is a much more level field between Kaworu, Rei and Asuka for the Japanese than westerners.

Consider that my point about Asuka's "suki" was only in 3.0+1.0. I just think it's pretty difficult to read that "suki" in a non-romantic way, due to the other words.
Last edited by Konja7 on Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

TsuyoiOuji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TsuyoiOuji » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:47 am

View Original PostT. K. Simon wrote:I do not make any prejudice for your information, I am giving my opinion based on the contexts of each one.

I didn't say you were prejudiced. I specifically said the bias was cultural/linguistical, so...?

View Original PostT. K. Simon wrote:The Shinji of E24 is very different from that of E1-E15, or also that of E23, he is completely alone, he no longer has anyone, and true to his personality, he believes that nobody loves him and everyone because he is weak (physically and mentally)

Kaworu appears in an extraordinary situation, we cannot compare 3.0 + 1.0 with E24 (in one Shinji looks like a Therapist and the other is a totally depressed being.
The Suki 3.0 + 1.0 is also a bit ambiguous, maybe he liked it romantically, or also as a familiar (something that according to his flashbacks, he never had), in my opinion it is a bit of both
I haven't watched NGE in a long time, so I don't quite remember his state at the beginning of E24, but saying he was so needy he would also go for Kaworu, and thus that alone should be invalidated seems like a bit too much.
Not downplaying his mental health state, just saying that to a certain point he was already inclined to be attracted to anyone who could be nice to him and possibly bi, cause you know, already needed a therapist as an abandoned child with a dead mother and no friends for many years until moving back, and all trash happening there from day 1 despite some new friends.

And as you inferred, despite mental health issues, trying to label what someone feels is complicated. What is even normal, and normal within Eva? As some people said in other threads, all characters in the series are actually too fucked up to know how to love properly (and probably most ppl in the world nowadays), so we can just invalidate everyone equally there.

And what exactly do you mean by "The Suki 3.0 + 1.0"? Shinji and Kaworu, although with more upfront exchanges and body language on Q, they do not exchange "好き" in the rebuilds.
Shinji does confess his "love" for Kaji Jr to Misato tho, lol. And Misato kinda gives him her blessing as yet another funny ambiguous dialogue exchange. Although all translations i've seen end up translating Misato's line wrong. That's why a small ship fanbase for the 2 of them was born after 3+1, and the reason I say Shinji-KajiJr have more chemistry than Shinji-Mari.

View Original PostT. K. Simon wrote:While it is true that most of the time "Suki" is used in a romantic way if it were a normal person (mentally), Shinji's (E24) Suki referred to?
romantic ?, as an idealized person worthy of admiration? Is Shinji lying to himself? i don't know..1
This reminds me of another similar case, so here some food for thought:
The word used in that line of Kaworu's is 意 (coui) in the script, which can have a lot of meanings like favor, kindness, affection and (romantic) love.
So the first official subtitles had "worth of my love", then they decided to change to "grace" (iirc) for some reason.

Some people say it is fine, because it is "ambiguous" among other things. But if they didn't have intention for it to be read as romantic, they could've used 意 (coui) instead. Yeah, it has the same reading and the second kanji is the same. It also has the same meaning of kindness and favor, etc. but does not carry the meaning of romantic love.
So even if we can't see the difference just from hearing the word, their choice for the script still carries some meaning.

Then after hearing it, Shinji wants to confirm the meaning of Kaworu's words, but dang Japanese beating around the bush he still uses another word that can be ambiguous. However due to cultural inferences I mentioned before, it all weights more towards understanding it as romantic (yeah we still get the whole origin/motive/mental state thing going on regardless).

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:However, although the Rebulids changed Japanese view of Kaworu to a much more human existence, I've understood that the Rebuilds also cast doubt between Japanese audience on whether Kaworu's feelings are romantic or not.
Well, the nature of Evangelion and how it was built allows anyone to validate/invalidate any ship they want to a certain degree.
But regarding KawoShin, they became a lot more vocal after Q, and then again after 3+1, on twitter and youtube comment sections from the movie songs.

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Consider that my point about Asuka's "suki" was only in 3.0+1.0. I just think it's pretty difficult to read that "suki" in a non-romantic way, due to the other words.
After 3+1 I also think that Asuka's was romantic, but I don't think Shinji's is.
I think in Shinji's case it was more about the cold side of Japanese people. Like "I want to go out with you, but not like I love you or anything, and as soon as it stops being fun we are done with no hesitation".

I can definitely see Shinji saying things like "then why don't you break up with me already" or something every time they fight. Lol...
Adding to that, despite saying he liked her, she was never his top priority. He would sacrifice everything to save Rei, then his world was uplifted and destroyed completely because of Kaworu, but Asuka? Not much tbh.

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:24 am

Well, I'm not very good at speaking English (I use a translator to be able to comment), at least the translator translated it for me as "prejudices"

---------------------

Kaworu was the one who approached him. Shinji never tried to start a conversation directly.

The fact is that Shinji has always felt lonely in his life, when he came to Tokyo and met people who became friends, for someone with a lot of loneliness it is great.
But when he loses everything in a matter of 1 month (approximately) he hits very hard.

Shinji at that time needed a lot of affection, and not to feel alone (he was afraid of Rei because of her origin and Misato because of her recent sexual approaches, and Asuka had run away).
That someone who does not know him, speak well of him, be kind to him and direct with his feelings with him, due to his mental state (E24), hits much harder than if he were in one of the chapters of the action arc .

That seems much more an act of sheer need (feeling loved without giving anything in return, an escape from reality) than being bisexual (it could easily be if you ask me)

But the context of the scene, as Kaworu appears in an extraordinary situation, it is not fair to debate (what he is bisexual, and if Shinji loved him romantically) it as if he was in a "normal" state of mind (in a relative sense).

I was referring to Asuka and Shinji's suki 3.0 + 1.0.

I am not saying that suki cannot be interpreted as romantic (this is probably the case), but it can also be otherwise.

It is true, they could have put that word you mention, which does not have a romantic meaning, but they decided to put suki, which added to the context, makes his statement ambiguous if his feelings were genuine or due to an act of need, if he loved him romantically or as an idealized person.
Last edited by T. K. Simon on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”