Why Is Shinji "The One"?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Sqidd
Embryo

Why Is Shinji "The One"?

•      
  •      

Postby The Sqidd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:49 pm

Joined to ask this.

In Rebuild why is Shinji "the one"? Is it pre ordained? Is it circumstance? Is it because he is a tool of Gendo? I'm hoping it's not because he's the main protagonist.

Thanks

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Why Is Shinji "The One"?

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:30 am

It’s because he’s Gendo and Yui’s son. He’s not particularly special beyond the fact that his parents were involved with NERV and Seele.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:05 pm

lets also throw in his excellent sync rate due to Yui being the core of Unit 01...he is able to manipulate the Eva with Zero training which is pretty impressive.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:01 pm

Kaworu: "You seek a world with complimentary. You never change"
Kaji: "That's why you chose him and listed his name in the book of life"
Kaworu chose Shinji at the start of his loop for every timeline, because apparently, Shinji is one person that doesn't change across timelines. Which is debatable, but it works for the sake of this discussion. It was when Shinji changed and decided to take action, and therefore responsibility, following Ayanami 6's death, that the loop was broken, and that's why Kaworu and Rei leave on the train during the metaphysical ending segment. They're leaving existence because eliminating "all EVAs" also eliminated their origin, including the Adams, Lilith, and presumably the FAR and their Golgotha Object.
So essentially, Kaworu saw himself in Shinji, and chose him to be the most important in all timelines, that's why he's always the main character. Shinji being "the one" for lack of a better term is no different than him being the main character in Neon Genesis, Sadamoto's manga, or the multitudes of dogshit spinoffs and janky videogames that miss the entire point of the original series. Except 3nd Impact. That one's good.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:02 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:Kaworu: "You seek a world with complimentary. You never change"
Kaji: "That's why you chose him and listed his name in the book of life"
Kaworu chose Shinji at the start of his loop for every timeline, because apparently, Shinji is one person that doesn't change across timelines. Which is debatable, but it works for the sake of this discussion.

I've understand that part a little different.

I think Kaworu mentioned Shinji doesn't change, because Shinji still seek for a world with complimentary at that point (even after all his change in 3.0+1.0).

Also, I've understand from Kaji's words that Kaworu choose Shinji, because Shinji has always sought a world with complimentary.

I should mention that the English terms could sound similar, but the Complementary (相補性) mentioned here isn't the Instrumentality/Complementarity (補完) Project.

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:21 am

View Original PostThe Sqidd wrote: I'm hoping it's not because he's the main protagonist.

Becouse he is the main protagonist.

And also he is Anno's self insert.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:41 pm

You mean in the same way in which every character in the show Anno wrote explicitly as reflecting a part of himself?
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:41 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:You mean in the same way in which every character in the show Anno wrote explicitly as reflecting a part of himself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mjf2pg4MFQ

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:03 pm

I think it would be best to compare him with the story of Jonah in the Bible, the reluctant hero who after many trials and ordeals (including getting swallowed by a whale) accepts his fate and ends up saving people by preaching the 'gospel'.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:01 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:It’s because he’s Gendo and Yui’s son. He’s not particularly special beyond the fact that his parents were involved with NERV and Seele.

Yup, he's not particularly special. But it's worth remembering he's not particularly normal either:

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:He was probably born normal but then he got wrung out in the Artificial Evolution Lab, so by the time he's a teenager I don't think he's really normal any more.

At the risk of going off topic, I've been thinking about this a bit recently:

AdamMalkovitch wrote:They're leaving existence because eliminating "all EVAs" also eliminated their origin, including the Adams, Lilith, and presumably the FAR and their Golgotha Object.

I think this is an interesting assumption. We're only shown the Evas being eliminated, so there's a plain reading of 3+1 that the FAR, the Golgotha Object, and everything else lore-but-not-Eva still exists (ready and waiting for Evangelion 5.69: Eva Can (Never) End).

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”