The Angel-Hex Sealing Glyphs on Nerv's Logo

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ansette
Embryo

The Angel-Hex Sealing Glyphs on Nerv's Logo

•      
  •      

Postby ansette » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:01 am

Okay, so forgive me if this is super-obvious or ridiculous to whoever might be reading--I'm still kinda getting my head around a lot of things in Eva and I am notoriously slow.

However!

I had a thought this morning while discussing Rebuild with someone who just finished 3.0+1.0 last night and I had this idea:

So, basically, Nerv's new logo post Near Third Impact has Angel-Sealing Hex Glyphs in the logo, right?

Well I was thinking, since they're used to suppress Angel's influence on things (like the pillar in Asuka's eye preventing her and Unit-02 from being corrupted), then does that mean that they put these specific glyphs on the logo so that everything they might place the logo on is in some manner contained? Like, I was thinking, maybe this combination of glyphs acts as a basic catch-all for rudimentary control that, as part of the logo, can be easily applied to everything they create (like the Evas they bring against Wille).

Does that make sense or have I gone nuts?
Warning:

The contents of this post may be dangerously lacking in sense. Reader discretion is advised.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: The Angel-Hex Sealing Glyphs on Nerv's Logo

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:06 am

I don’t think the glyphs by themselves, just by virtue of being painted on any surface, have any power at all. That would be akin to magic spells, and the way the world works in Eva doesn’t seem to be that weird (outside Negative Space at least!).

I think the pillars have that power because of a physical, energy field they emit when they are powered, and the glyphs on he surface are simply visual indicators (like some sort of fancy, animated LED lights) written in the language of the civilization that created them. The Golgotha object too is covered in them.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:14 pm

The glyphs definitely need a power source and to be arranged in a specific way in order to work, that's why the pillars and the capsule that was in Asuka's eye are so tall and have so many. The opening to 3.0+1.0 seems to confirm this, with the DSRV being used to hack into the dormant pillar in Paris and get it functioning again. This power issue is probably also what Kensuke was referring to when he said that Village 3's pillar probably wouldn't last much longer.
That said, 3+1 did have that shot showing the glyphs next to letters in sequence, so wild guess, those glyphs just spell out NERV. Sometimes a logo is just a logo.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:50 pm

Excited for someone to translate all the glyphs into human languages for us. :tongue:

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:51 am

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:so wild guess, those glyphs just spell out NERV. Sometimes a logo is just a logo.

If so, then at least we got 4 glyphs translated, thats if, they actually translate directly to alphabetical characters (and not more like kanji/kana or something, their shape seem to suggest that tho).

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:27 pm

We get a lot more than that, since during the scene in Q where they show off the DSS choker, we get a list of glyphs linked to letters. It's not the whole alphabet, but it's a nice chunk.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:33 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:We get a lot more than that, since during the scene in Q where they show off the DSS choker, we get a list of glyphs linked to letters. It's not the whole alphabet, but it's a nice chunk.

Are they enough to check the meaning of the four in the NERV logo? (too lazy to check myself :D )

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”