Dub Genesis: A Remix/Overhaul of the Eng. Dubs

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Jeo228
Embryo

Dub Genesis: A Remix/Overhaul of the Eng. Dubs

•      
  •      

Postby Jeo228 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:55 am

I, along with many others, was quite disappointed when I noticed Gkids decided to simply reuse the netflix dub of Evangelion, and slapped the adv dub on extra disks for their collectors edition. Our last chance to get a redub with Spike Spencer and Tiffany Grant had been wasted by the laziness of this distributor, and fly me to the moon was once again given the shaft.

Because of this, I have decided to fix this problem myself, by taking all 4 versions of evangelion's english dub, and combining them all into one coherent performance.

This...is Dub Genesis.

What is Dub Genesis Exactly?

I plan on taking the best aspects of each dub and merge them together into one high quality release that eva fans can use for their re-watching pleasure, as well as a great tool for introducing friends to eva through the English dub.

What changes are you making exactly?

The ADV dub is lacking in two areas. The first few episodes have some stileted performances and script errors, and the extras throughout the entire show aren't terribly great. My plan is to take the main cast of the ADV dub (Shinji, Rei, Asuka, Misato, Gendo, and Fuyutski), and add them into the high definition release of Eva from Netflix. I have decided to reuse Netflix's Ritsuko as she sounds more similar to the Amazon Ritsuko than the original ADV actress does.

While that solves the issue of the extras, we still have some of the stilted dialogue. I have carefully selected certain lines from both dubs of Evangelion 1.11 to help bolster Misato's English performance in the first few episodes.

Will this include the movies?

Yes. Part of this project includes merging the two dubs of rebuild of Evangelion together. Funimation's dub was certainly of a higher quality than amazons redub, so i wish to use much of the performance of the actors who are carried over from the original to amazons. This means you will likely see most of Shinji, Asuka, Misato and Gendo's lines from the funi dub in the rebuild movies, with the recast actors from amazon taking their roles. The purpose is one cohesive dub, so while i might prefer certain funimation actors over amazons (looking at you Rei and mari) I will be using amazons for consistency.

Isn't using lines from the movies in the original show gonna lead to repetition

Normally, yes, however, we are blessed with two dubs of the rebuild movies. since i will not be using amazons dub for most of Shinji/Misato's lines, i can borrow from it without risking repetition with the movies in this project, although some performances may find themselves in both the show and the movie due to quality.

How will this be released

Still trying to figure that out. I will be working on it during my freetime, but i still need to figure out a good way of hosting it. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

This is dumb

Probably.

Please feel free to post any ideas or feedback you feel would be valuable for me to know moving forward. As of right now, I am using Anatrok's version of Netflix Eva which already has FMTTM in it as my master while editing

Here is a link to the latest draft of episode one of Dub Genesis for you viewing pleasure:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16TolQU ... sp=sharing

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

Re: Dub Genesis: A Remix/Overhaul of the Eng. Dubs

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:28 pm

Very interested to see how this will pan out, good luck with it!
wait waht

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:20 am

Alright just watched the latest draft of Episode 1 and have some feedback, before I get into the more specific things though, I did really like this, but there would probably be a few things I'd change.

The first thing I'd say is that some of the audio mixing was a bit strange. I was almost positive I. Shinji jumped around a bit during the scene where Shinji meets Gendo for the first time again. But I may have just been hearing things. What source are you using for the ADV Dub lines? Is it Platinum?

Misato's lines jumped around a little bit as admittedly, as a fan of the ADV Dub, Allison Keith's performance wasn't overly great in the first couple of episodes. It was easy to get used to, but there is a slight difference in tone between ADV Misato, Funi Misato, and Amazon Misato. Not bad, and I'm happy with Misato having a good performance in Episode 1.

I'm surprised that the majority of the scene where Shinji gets angry and annoyed at Gendo was kept from ADV, I thought for sure that would've been a lot of Shinji's lines from Amazon there. But I'm happy pretty much everything else besides maybe one or two lines was ADV. I always did think Spike gave a decent performance early on.

I could tell when Gendo switched from Tristan MacAvery to John Swasey. Not a criticism, just decided to point that out. Got no issues with it, both are great.

Were some lines from Fuyutsuki Michael Ross in Amazon 1.11? It sounded like it, while other lines were definitely Guil Lunde. Again, no issues, but I haven't seen much of the Rebuild redubs, but he certainly sounds a lot better than in EoE.

In terms of Ritsuko, I'm still not the biggest fan of Erika Lindbeck's Ritsuko and would've maybe gone for Sue Ulu instead. But if consistency with the Amazon Dub for Rebuild is the goal, then I'm happy to stick it out, even if I think some of her delivery isn't that great.

Interesting that Netflix Maya was chosen. I would've gone with the ADV/Manga Lineup of Kendra Benham, Monica Rial, and Amy Seeley (Cause then you get Seeley in both EoE and Rebuild, and maybe even some lines that were in Death.) This is partially because I'm also not the biggest fan of Christine Cabanos, and prefer the ADV Lineup. (Also really like Caitlin Glass in Funi!)

In general, I couldn't really tell with Hyuga and Aoba, but I'd suggest keeping ADV for them as well. 1. You get Jason C. Lee as Aoba throughout the entire series besides the DC Episodes where it'll be Vic Mignogna. And 2. I just generally much prefer pretty much every Hyuga over Daniel MK Cohen.

In general, a lot of the background characters were definitely Netflix (No EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET! Why!? I kid, but was that line Netflix or Amazon? It definitely wasn't Funi I'm fairly sure.)

My other main concern is consistency in pronounciation. It didn't happen in this episode but I'm positive in the future you'll have some characters saying "Third Child" and others saying "Third Children". "nerve" and "nairf". However SEELE was pronounced compared to ADV. Fuyutsuki which somehow no one gets right on Netflix. Just a concern really.

In terms of other Characters, I'll leave my suggestions below, for both Series and Rebuild. (Although Rebuild assumes some of the cast swap from Funi to Amazon in the 14 year timeskip)

Hyuga: Matt Greenfield (ADV) for Series, Keith Burgess I guess for EoE? I prefer Mike McFarland, but Joe Fria was good as well. So you could do McFarland for 1.11 and 2.22 and Fria for 3.33 and 3.0+1.01.
Aoba: Jason C. Lee (ADV) pretty much the whole way through. Mignogna for any scenes Lee didn't dub.
Toji: The Bosch! For Rebuild I guess you could go with Funi for 1.11 and 2.22 and Amazon for 3.0+1.01. That seems most logical to me.
Kensuke: Don't mind. Go nuts.
Hikari: I'd think Abby Trot (Netflix) for Series. Then Leah Clark (Funi) for 1.11 and 2.22, and Kimberly Yates for 3.0+1.01, despite Yates also being in Manga Death.
Keel: Hmm, an intersting one. I'd probably go the ADV Route so you at least get Tom Booker through EoE to 3.0+1.01. But I don't mind Netflix too badly.
Mari: I love Trina Nishimura, but for best consistency (and because Mari doesn't age in the Timeskip), I'd go with Deneen Melody.
Kaji: Aaron Krohn for Series, Sean Burgos I guess for Rebuild? I quite liked J. Michael Tatum but he hasn't done 3.0+1.01, might be safest to go with Burgos.
Kaworu: For series I don't mind either Ayres or Chapin, although I much prefer Ayres lines, but Chapin was an amazing performance despite the script. For Rebuild, honestly, I'd do the swap from Jerry Jewell to Daman Mills from 3.33 to 3.0+1.01. (So Jewell for 1.11-3.33, and Mills for 3.0+1.01.)

Overall though I really enjoyed this, even if I would switch some voices around, but I have a feeling we're far from this being completed yet, I'm curious to see what later Episodes are like. Good Luck!

Jeo228
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jeo228 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:40 pm

View Original PostCoolJosh2002 wrote:Alright just watched the latest draft of Episode 1 and have some feedback, before I get into the more specific things though, I did really like this, but there would probably be a few things I'd change.

Thanks for your feedback. The only characters im pulling from the rebuilds for NGE are Misato, Gendo, Asuka, Shinji and possibly amazon Rei since shes the same as og Rei. Also as you noticed i used some amazon fuyu as well for a couple scenes. The actors sound similar enough but i'll try to use adv fuyutski as much ass possible. The reason I chose the netflix background characters i because my main goal is consistancy, and since they have the same voice actors from episode one through end of eva, thats what im going for. I love Vic, but it would be wrong to throw him in for a few episodes when i can stick with another actor. On top of that there's better audio mixing for some of the scenes with the extras in end of eva.

As far as the issues with Shinji and misatos voice during the unit 01 reveal, thats due to the original voice mixing having issues. You'll notice when Misato talks the rest of the audio seems to quiet down a bit, this isnt my doing but left over from the original poor mixing from adv. Im not sure which version of the lines are from as I'm using the adv audio track that came with the Hd netflix MKVs im using. if this issue is fixed in a seperate release please let me know.

As for your recommendations for the other actors, I'll take that into advisement. There's no way in hell I'm using monica rial due to per5sonal reasons (like getting vic migogna cancelled for no reason)

A peak behind the curtain: the scene when unit 01 is getting ready to launch actually has a splice of different dubs from funi to amazon to neflix, and the scene where Misato tells Shinji not to be a baby is actually pitch shifted netflix Misato since theres no correlating line in rebuild and the original line delivery from adv was....inexcusably bad.

If you have any other thoughts let me know, episode 2 should be doesn't in the next week ;)

p.s. I was very tempted to include every single missile hit the target, but maybe a future directors cut will have it ;)

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:24 pm

View Original PostJeo228 wrote:
View Original PostCoolJosh2002#930961 wrote:Alright just watched the latest draft of Episode 1 and have some feedback, before I get into the more specific things though, I did really like this, but there would probably be a few things I'd change.

Thanks for your feedback. The only characters im pulling from the rebuilds for NGE are Misato, Gendo, Asuka, Shinji and possibly amazon Rei since shes the same as og Rei. Also as you noticed i used some amazon fuyu as well for a couple scenes. The actors sound similar enough but i'll try to use adv fuyutski as much ass possible. The reason I chose the netflix background characters i because my main goal is consistancy, and since they have the same voice actors from episode one through end of eva, thats what im going for. I love Vic, but it would be wrong to throw him in for a few episodes when i can stick with another actor. On top of that there's better audio mixing for some of the scenes with the extras in end of eva.

I did notice Amazon Fuyu in there a couple times, but as you said, Lunde and Ross sound similar enough that its hardly noticable. In terms of consistency, then I think it would be better to use the ADV lineup for at least Maya and Aoba, as then you get pretty much one voice for Aoba (Only Vic in DC, everything else would be Jason C Lee), and I feel that Benham -> Rial -> Seeley is a better transition compared to Cabanos -> Seeley, but that's just me.

View Original PostJeo228 wrote:As far as the issues with Shinji and misatos voice during the unit 01 reveal, thats due to the original voice mixing having issues. You'll notice when Misato talks the rest of the audio seems to quiet down a bit, this isnt my doing but left over from the original poor mixing from adv. Im not sure which version of the lines are from as I'm using the adv audio track that came with the Hd netflix MKVs im using. if this issue is fixed in a seperate release please let me know.

Yeah, that's just something that'll have to be lived with. In terms of the I. Shinji stuff that I mentioned, the Original Version and Renewal have different starting points for the song, that's why I thought ADV may have come from Perfect? But I may have just been hearing things, I'll need to have a relisten. (You'll know whether its Perfect or Platinum in Episode 2 and also Episode 5. Misato in Episode 2 mentions Brain Damage on Perfect, but that line was redubbed to say contamination on Platinum, contamination is more accurate. Also, Shinji says Bullshit only on Platinum in Episode 5, which was added haha.)

View Original PostJeo228 wrote:As for your recommendations for the other actors, I'll take that into advisement. There's no way in hell I'm using monica rial due to per5sonal reasons (like getting vic migogna cancelled for no reason)

I've always been one to seperate the work from the artist, so I can like Rial's performance but not the person itself, if that makes sense. As I mentioned above, I think the transition between Series and Rebuild would be smoother going the ADV route. Considering that Cabanos' Maya is drastically different voice wise to pretty much everyone else before her.

View Original PostJeo228 wrote:A peak behind the curtain: the scene when unit 01 is getting ready to launch actually has a splice of different dubs from funi to amazon to neflix, and the scene where Misato tells Shinji not to be a baby is actually pitch shifted netflix Misato since theres no correlating line in rebuild and the original line delivery from adv was....inexcusably bad.

Yeah I noticed that, I didn't know that was Netflix Misato though, just Pitch Shifted, but yeah, the original ADV delivery wasn't very good.

View Original PostJeo228 wrote:p.s. I was very tempted to include every single missile hit the target, but maybe a future directors cut will have it ;)

I'll be waiting for Baloney Pony in Episode 26 :tongue:

WDS
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby WDS » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:21 pm

Mixing two bad dubs won't produce a good dub.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:24 am

I've wanted something like this for years! I think Spike Spencer is the perfect Shinji, but it takes awhile for his performance to get good, so I was hoping someone would mix some of his Rebuild line deliveries into the main show. Good luck on the project!

Return to “Fan Works”