What even is Eva armor, really?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Archer
Matarael
Matarael

What even is Eva armor, really?

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:10 pm

In the Rebuilds it’s clearly just Angel flesh, since there’s little regard given to where the Evas begin and the armor ends. But what about in NGE? Most of it obviously is just armor plating on the torso and legs and face, but the arms are completely solid and they appear to be wearing some sort of flexible black bodysuit under their segmented armor.

If you were tasked with creating a “realistic” Evangelion design, how would you go about handing that aspect? Take it the way the RG kits do and just give the arms solid armor? Sci-fi flexible steel? Some sort of composite bodysuit that blends flexible steel plates with state-of-the-art fabrics?

This isn’t so much a lore question as just a discussion starter, so I’m not expecting any evidence-based concrete answers.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: What even is Eva armor, really?

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:25 am

They aren't giving away the materials that make this stuff up but for the inner bodysuit/sheath I might like some of this product
https://hardwirellc.com/pages/soft-armo ... gcEALw_wcB

Followed by Ablative Carbon Fiber for the outer layers. After all weight must be balanced with durability.

However for the Eva's it's probably impractical since the armor is also partially responsible for keeping the power of the Eva's in check if I recall correctly?
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:28 pm

Yamashitas original drawings make it look like the stuff that's covering the arms isn't a suit, but part of the Eva's actual skin. Obviously they ended up going in a different direction.

I'd probably mount some guns onto the armor. Not that would be much good against the angels.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:55 pm

Ritsuko once said that the EVA armor were actually restraints meant to keep the EVAs under control. Unit 01 broke free from that after it ate the S2 core of the 14th Angel.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”