Why do Eva pilots have to feel pain when their Eva gets hurt?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Concerns
Embryo

Why do Eva pilots have to feel pain when their Eva gets hurt?

•      
  •      

Postby Concerns » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:57 am

In episode 8 when Evangelion Unit-02 gets eaten by Gaghiel, Shinji and Asuka don't feel any pain while still getting high synchronization rates.
However when Unit 02 gets hit by the Spear of Longinus in EoE not only does Asuka feel pain but she also gets physically injured.
It seems like that pilot feeling physical pain is completely unnecessary so couldn't the folks at Nerv simply turn that feature off or something?
I'm just some random guy who loves Evangelion.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Why do Eva pilots have to feel pain when their Eva gets hurt?

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:16 am

Unit 2 doesn’t get physically damaged when it gets nommed by Gaghiel, presumably the armor is strong enough to prevent any real harm to the Eva body. As far as I remember anyways, the pilots only seem to feel real pain when the Evas suffer traumatic damage to their bodies and not just regular knocks and dings.

Concerns
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Concerns » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:21 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:Unit 2 doesn’t get physically damaged when it gets nommed by Gaghiel, presumably the armor is strong enough to prevent any real harm to the Eva body. As far as I remember anyways, the pilots only seem to feel real pain when the Evas suffer traumatic damage to their bodies and not just regular knocks and dings.

That makes sense.
Thanks.

PSIWasHere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PSIWasHere » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:34 pm

One thing I never understood really was the fact that pilots who suffered damage from the Evangelion Units would receive bandages, considering the pain is all in their head as they aren't having it inflicted on them per se, why the need? Is it some sort of placebo? Another thing was Rei in the first episode, I know It's a set-up by Gendo and all that but I'm going to assume her bandages are from piloting again, If that is so, why is she bleeding?
:)

Concerns
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Concerns » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:10 pm

View Original PostPSIWasHere wrote:? Another thing was Rei in the first episode, I know It's a set-up by Gendo and all that but I'm going to assume her bandages are from piloting again, If that is so, why is she bleeding?

She has those bandages because of injuries she sustained during a failed activation experiment with Eva-00 prior to Episode 1.

View Original PostPSIWasHere wrote:One thing I never understood really was the fact that pilots who suffered damage from the Evangelion Units would receive bandages, considering the pain is all in their head as they aren't having it inflicted on them per se, why the need? Is it some sort of placebo?

The damage is actually inflicted on them. One example of this is in EoE when Asuka get's hit by a Replica Spears of Longinus and get's physically injured.
Poor Asuka :(

PSIWasHere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PSIWasHere » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:26 pm

View Original PostConcerns wrote:She has those bandages because of injuries she sustained during a failed activation experiment with Eva-00 prior to Episode 1.

Ah I see, I've only seen NGE once fully because I plan to watch it annually so I find some parts slip my memory, I didn't realise how close the activation sequence was to Shinji's arrival.
:)

Ozymansiaz1260
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ozymansiaz1260 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:13 pm

View Original PostConcerns wrote:The damage is actually inflicted on them. One example of this is in EoE when Asuka get's hit by a Replica Spears of Longinus and get's physically injured.
Poor Asuka :(

That only happened because Asuka was nearing a 400% sync ratio. She was becoming one with the Eva, which is why she was also able to make it raise its arm after the battery died. Under normal conditions the pilot doesn't take physical damage.

Concerns
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Concerns » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:17 pm

View Original PostOzymansiaz1260 wrote:That only happened because Asuka was nearing a 400% sync ratio. She was becoming one with the Eva, which is why she was also able to make it raise its arm after the battery died. Under normal conditions the pilot doesn't take physical damage.

I didn't know that, thanks.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”