What are the final versions of the TV series/Death?/EoE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
adelfino
Embryo

What are the final versions of the TV series/Death?/EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby adelfino » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:56 pm

This is a basic question, granted. I have already seen all of it and I love it, and would like to get it, but there are tons of versions and I just don't know which one is the most recent one where Anno had "control". For instance, I don't know if the "director's cuts" where made by Anno himself.

Could please someone enlighten me regarding the TV series, Death, and EoE?

dvdmovies123
Embryo

Re: What are the final versions of the TV series/Death?/EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby dvdmovies123 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:14 am

im pretty sure its whats on netflix: episodes 1-20, 21' to 24' (director's cuts), 25 and 26; death(true)2; and eoe theatrical edition

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:33 am

In terms of the series there's two available versions: The Original Aired Version and the Renewal Cut. The two are identical in terms of content and the only things changed between them is some minor animation updates and stuff.

In terms of Episodes 21-24, there's technically three versions: The Original Aired Version, The Reconstructed Aired Version, and the Director's Cut. The Reconstruction of the Original Airing largely uses the newer animation from DC, just cut so its the same as the OA version instead of the DC, none of the DC exclusive scenes are in this version.

The Initial VHS release, as well as the Perfect Collection, and the Archives DVD from Japan have the Aired Version, while Platinum, Netflix and most likely the upcoming Blu-Rays have the Renewal Cut. Netflix doesn't have the reconstructed Aired versions of 21-24, only the DCs, while the Platinum DVD set has both.

Death has three versions, the original theatrical version, the TV Airing known as Death(True), which removed some of the New Production Cuts that would end up in DC, and finally Death(True)^2, the final version of Death that's pretty much the wide release, it restores some but not all of the NPCs. Death is available on the Japanese Blu-Ray set, while Death(True) is on the Archives DVD set that Japan has. Death(True)^2 is where you'll find Death commonly, on all available releases.

Rebirth is an unfinished version of the first 25 or so minutes of EoE. So there's that, it's only on the Japanese BluRay though to my knowledge. Quick Note, the version of Rebirth on the Death & Rebirth DVD by Manga Entertainment is NOT actually Rebirth, it's just the equivalent portion of EoE.

Finally you have the Dubs, every language got a new Dub track for the Netflix release, but in terms of English, you have the ADV/Manga Dub (Found on all Physical Releases so far, and considering the other regions Blu-Rays, most likely our upcoming Blu-Ray as well) and the Netflix Dub (Found on Netflix). These two have different casts, although ADV gives the most consistent experience with the Rebuild films (Funimation or Amazon dub wise).

Okay I think that's everything.

VanessaOliver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby VanessaOliver » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:48 am

View Original Postdvdmovies123 wrote:im pretty sure its whats on netflix: episodes 1-20, 21' to 24' (director's cuts), 25 and 26; death(true)2; and eoe theatrical edition

Yes, that's where I agree.

adelfino
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby adelfino » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:16 pm

And the director's cuts are from Anno?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:09 pm

Absolutely!

Incidentally, the account of the DC versions above is not quite complete: the version of the DC episodes from before the Renewal release which was Platinum in the US is distinct. These were issued on DVD in the US as "Resurrection" and "Genesis Reborn" in livery matching the Perfect edition (whose last two DVDs they could replace). These versions of the DC episodes are not exactly the same as the Renewal ones - most notably, the infamous "Reiquarium" background images which had been added in the DC were removed again in Renewal. So these DVDs are useful to keep, because that version (with the images) is not preserved in any other release - not even the Blu-ray or Archive releases from Japan.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”