Why can't EVA continue with different series like Gundam?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

Why can't EVA continue with different series like Gundam?

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:24 pm

Even Rebuild doesn't fully stand on its own. You need to watch NGE to get many characters.

I don't need to watch 0079 to get SEED while they have similar plot. Nor are the characters related. I feel that EVA need a new series if it needs to get over with the current characters. Of course Anno obviously didn't want to continue it.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Why can't EVA continue with different series like Gundam?

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:53 pm

Um, Anno himself has said in the past, not that long ago I think, he would be open to Eva continuing even using Gundam as the example.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:14 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Um, Anno himself has said in the past, not that long ago I think, he would be open to Eva continuing even using Gundam as the example.

I thought he was done with Evangelion.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:38 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I thought he was done with Evangelion.

He is, but I believe there is a quote from him where he has spoke about how Eva could continue under another director in the future and how he'd like to see it become something like Gundam and be a cornerstone of anime.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:08 am

NGE/EOE had a lot of spin of manga's plus the full manga It would be nice to see more of these and a full rebuild manga.

Also as mentioned, there is a possibility that another director could do new stuff for the franchise. I am wondering though if Anno is going to do a Hayao Miyazaki in that he just can't stay away and will reappear in 5/10 years wanting to do a new spin off.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:02 am

Well he did mention wanting to tell the full story on the 14 year gap. Would like to see more animated Evangelion at some point.

I don’t think anything will be anytime soon, but it’s possible, gotta think to, if he wanted to do anything else it have to be within the next 20 years. At the same time he looked real tired of Eva during the Documentary.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:04 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:NGE/EOE had a lot of spin of manga's plus the full manga It would be nice to see more of these and a full rebuild manga.

Also as mentioned, there is a possibility that another director could do new stuff for the franchise. I am wondering though if Anno is going to do a Hayao Miyazaki in that he just can't stay away and will reappear in 5/10 years wanting to do a new spin off.

Yeah I've been wondering if this is truly it for Anno. If I were to use a wrestling analogy is he going to be someone like a Shawn Michaels who stepped away at the right time and didn't come back to sully his legacy (Save for the one tag match in Saudi which he admits was a mistake) or will he be more like a Hogan or a Flair who kept going despite saying it was the end and tarnishing their legacy.

Stuart
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stuart » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:51 am

There is a hell of a lot of potential material there. The 14 year time skip could easily become an anime series, maybe even one hour long episode for every year.

Not only that, there's the euro and US NERV branches where there could be brand new characters etc.

Whether or not it would work without involving the main characters we all know and love is another question.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:14 am

For me, and this is personal bias but I've love to see them adapt Angelic Days into a little three part OVA or something.

Beyond that I'd certainly like to see an 'Evangelion' but with a different cast/crew but retaining some of the themes and style of Eva. It'd definitely be interesting to see what others could do with it.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:34 pm

Folks.... we're less than a week after Shin was released internationally. Bit early to ask for yet more in my opinion
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:03 am

Why can't stories be allowed to end?

It was a glorious ending.

tronnytron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tronnytron » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:22 pm

I think keeping the series going and going for years like Gundam would only cheapen the value of the series as it exists currently. For a show deeply about how overly indulging in escapism can be harmful, it churning out show after show after movie would be deeply ironic.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:36 am

^This ship has sailed a long time ago-the copious amount of merch has seen to that.

EvaUnit88
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaUnit88 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:58 pm

I'm willing to take Hideaki Anno on his word for right now, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he does decide to return in some way shape or form. The man does seem really eager to make it in the movie industry and he still has some life in him at his current age (at least as long as he doesn't have a health complication that nobody else knows about).

Otherwise I think there's a lot of anime directors in the industry who have been holding their breath for a long time to have their own interpretation of the franchise realized. Depending on what continuity they decide to use (the original or new ones like Gundam does), they could tell a lot of interesting stories. Everybody knows about the 14 year gap between 2.0 and 3.0, but I'm sure they can use settings as simple as the NERV branches in America and Europe as new settings.

I've never really believed in the "cheapening" argument. If something is bad enough, it just won't be brought up anymore. Also even if this really is the case, I really don't think the classic cast is going to be put at risk of being subject to it too much given how their stories don't have anywhere to go that would fit the overall premise of an Eva story.

jedi_spectre1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jedi_spectre1 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:08 pm

I think we will get for sure new Eva content. I obliviously don't have all the information, but Khara has a huge monetary incentive to keep the Eva train running. For better or for worse, art is often a business.

What these new stories and what not will be, I can't tell. Personally, I would love to see a new series with a new cast. I would set it in a completely new universe. However, many people have pointed out to me before when I bring this up, that a lot of Eva's merchandize is character driven, so if they make any new anime, I'm sure we will get more of the OG characters. I wouldn't be surprised if we get an Anima adaptation in a few years. Its already completed and has the original cast, so it is probably the safest option.

Overall, I am excited to see where Eva goes now. I wouldn't be shocked if in a decade and Anno is still healthy and directing that he comes back for another go at Eva.

Softmachine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Softmachine » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:21 pm

I think Eva's setting is only fit for one story, as it was constructed entirely to fit the plot and not the other way around. Even the Rebuilds are essentially just a remake of the same story.

I don't think Eva needs to continue any further. It should take it's place in history.

walucigi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby walucigi » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:17 am

View Original Postjedi_spectre1 wrote:
What these new stories and what not will be, I can't tell. Personally, I would love to see a new series with a new cast. I would set it in a completely new universe. However, many people have pointed out to me before when I bring this up, that a lot of Eva's merchandize is character driven, so if they make any new anime, I'm sure we will get more of the OG characters. I wouldn't be surprised if we get an Anima adaptation in a few years. Its already completed and has the original cast, so it is probably the safest option..

I've read *most* of the Anima books, so tbh I'd be really excited to see that become it's own miniseries in the Eva universe. Even something entirely new and not adapted from anything (i.e perhaps after the original pilots die off and there is a new generation of eva pilots??) would be great to see.
Hopefully a new director starts something new within the next decade :emogendo: but i doubt we'll see much other than collabs for a while
currently: @ school
they or he / “get in the fucken robot Shinji!”

Monarch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Monarch » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:02 am

I can definitely see some spinoffs being made, but I doubt that multiple series with different casts can be made. I think the main characters are too embedded within Eva’s identity for a completely new series to be made.
You’re Loved

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:26 pm

I somewhat doubt that it will happen too, but I do hope that an Eva series will be made that retains none of the old cast, just to prove that it's possible and to break away from the endless stream of putting watered-down lookalikes into generic anime settings and calling it Eva.
The themes of the show can be carried with a different set of characters than the ones we have, and my one wish for the franchise going forward is that someone in the position to make it also realizes that and has the will to go through with it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:19 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I somewhat doubt that it will happen too, but I do hope that an Eva series will be made that retains none of the old cast, just to prove that it's possible and to break away from the endless stream of putting watered-down lookalikes into generic anime settings and calling it Eva.
The themes of the show can be carried with a different set of characters than the ones we have, and my one wish for the franchise going forward is that someone in the position to make it also realizes that and has the will to go through with it

The problem is that Evangelion is too associated to the human characters. They are the most popular aspect in this franchise.

Gundam is a different beast, because this regularly changes the protagonists. So, although some characters are pretty popular, there is no expectation from the audience that the story will continue to focus on them.

In my opinion, Evangelion lost any opportunity of stories with new cast long ago.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”