Is Ship Shinji x Asuka the worst ship ever?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Asugran233
Lilith

Is Ship Shinji x Asuka the worst ship ever?

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:06 pm

Welcome, I heard opinions on Polish forums and groups on FB about Evangelion that the Shinji x Asuka ship is the worst ship ever, I like it, I would like to hear your opinions whether you like it or not.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Is Ship Shinji x Asuka the worst ship ever?

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:26 pm

Well, those exaggerated superlatives are sure gonna be conducive to objective discussion....

I mean I don't ship it except as an angst/drama thing, but you got a serious lack of imagination if you can't picture anything worse than some teens hatefucking.

It doesn't even involve a single billionaire or dictator.

Also, worst by what standard?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:14 pm

Nani? I don't understoond.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:38 pm

What Kendrix is saying is that trying to ratify something as subjective as shipping into "best" and "worst" labels is an inherently pointless endeavor; a sentiment to which I unilaterally agree
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:15 pm

The quality of a ship is in your mind; it is not something objective that can be decided or proved by others for you.

So make your own decision - and if you feel the need to announce and defend that in public, do it calmly, and with some plausible reasons.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Stuart
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stuart » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:02 am

It makes sense within the story. They have this love-hate relationship where they can't admit their feelings for each other. Like when Asuka wants to kiss Shinji, she has to use the excuse that she's bored and then over-dramatically rinse out her mouth afterwards.

In Ep 26, we see them as childhood friends in the alternative universe, where their classmates tease them about their feelings for each other.

So, there's plenty of ammo there for it to be a "canon" ship.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:05 pm

Shinjix
SPOILER: Show
Mari
exists.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:02 am

View Original PostStuart wrote:It makes sense within the story. They have this love-hate relationship where they can't admit their feelings for each other. Like when Asuka wants to kiss Shinji, she has to use the excuse that she's bored and then over-dramatically rinse out her mouth afterwards.

In Ep 26, we see them as childhood friends in the alternative universe, where their classmates tease them about their feelings for each other.

So, there's plenty of ammo there for it to be a "canon" ship.

You don’t even need to go to the AU for that, their classmates literally tease them about their feelings for each other in the show proper, which is blatantly obvious to everyone except them.

I think Asuka’s the only one where it’s sort of teased that their relationship might actually work out if they weren’t both so fucked up. NGE Rei has always came off more as family to me, like a weird combo sister/mother figure (as opposed to Rebuild Rei, whose feelings for Shinji are more or less explicitly stated to be romantic) and Misato is an obviously inappropriate partner for Shinji in every context. There’s certainly more than enough evidence to do a pretty convincing write up on why Asuka is the “canon ship” of NGE.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:05 pm

Well, the whole relationship between them is…rocky at best. I can see how most people would view them as toxic to each other. In EoE, their relationship plays an important theme throughout the film, as it displays the hedgehog’s dilemma through and through. And we saw them reach out to each other at the end.

Rebuild of Evangelion is kind of a different story, but I won’t go into detail there.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:02 pm

Who Shinji is shipped with, the reasons behind the shipping, and the reaction to anyone holding an opinion different than theirs say far more about the shipper than about any of the characters in the show.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NightComesOn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NightComesOn » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:06 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote: And we saw them reach out to each other at the end...

As a purely literal matter, Shinji does "reach out" to Asuka at the end, but the fact that he reaches out to strangle her doesn't really bode well for their relationship.

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:45 pm

View Original PostNightComesOn wrote:
View Original PostC.T.1290#930219 wrote: And we saw them reach out to each other at the end...

As a purely literal matter, Shinji does "reach out" to Asuka at the end, but the fact that he reaches out to strangle her doesn't really bode well for their relationship.

Look, as an AxS shipper, after EoE anything can happen, they can kill each other, love each other, hate each other, etc. These kids are totally broken.

It is not necessary that they be together in the future (obviously), but they have lived the same things, they understand each other more than anyone (and with their contradictions and confusing explanations).
And pain is common among them.

Even though the world after EoE is going to be a total war (I don't think they have the time to go to therapy, je), will people recognize them?

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:01 am

Seriously? Interesing, never watching situation from the perspective.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:55 pm

View Original PostNightComesOn wrote:
View Original PostC.T.1290#930219 wrote: And we saw them reach out to each other at the end...

I was phrasing that in the metaphorical sense, like they reached out to each other to connect, possibly come to an understanding. You know, reach out through communicating.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:55 am

It's definitely the big brained ship.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

MissDeamy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MissDeamy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:05 pm

Well...I am an AsuShin shipper (I am going to have to stop saying that at some point I feel like it's getting annoying) and that ship gets a few mixed feelings from everyone in the Eva fandom. I don't really care what people ship as long as it isn't with Misato or any other adults with the Eva Pilots.

I understand what it gets it's hate, people think they are going to be in a toxic relationship, and they are going to be toxic with one another considering that Asuka bullies and picks on Shinji, and Shinji doesn't like that. Despite them genuinely hating each other I can see there is some sort of bond there, however, I think in the earlier episodes before Asuka was introduced everyone was used to Shinji and Rei since they both seemed to be getting closer but the moment Asuka appears that bond with Shinji and Rei is just gone or at least didn't build up further after that. I mostly see Rei being some sort of sister figure to Shinji (considering Rei is a clone of his mom) but that's just my opinion. As for Kaworu? Uhh, I guess that's okay if you ignore the fact that he's an angel, I can also see him and Shinji happening. (I am not going to talk about Mari cause I still haven't watched Rebuild so I have no idea what her deal at all yet)

In the end, it isn't the worst ship ever but it is also not the best ship ever. I am still going to AsuShin cause it makes my dumb dumb brain happy.

Ship who you want to ship, as long as it isn't illegal lol
Rare Shinji Ikari Fan

Please do not repost my art anywhere without my permission

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”