The Advanced Ayanami Series

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

The Advanced Ayanami Series

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:52 am

What is the point in the distinction between previous Rei clones and these new “advanced” ones? How are they advanced? Do they have any purpose beyond being throw away pilots? Also:

“Pure life forms free from sexual distinction”

Might want to get your eyes checked there Professor Fuyutsuki, I clearly see Booba and curves on those bodies.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

RussianRiz
Adam

Re: The Advanced Ayanami Series

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:11 pm

My take is that Nerv has way more control over Ayanami series than others, like Shikinami. They even managed to erase Rei Ayanami (tentative name) from distance, which they certainly cannot do with Asuka.

About the sexual distintion, I really didn't understand this line. Maybe they wanted to say she does not have a womb? If that's the case, infertile would sound more appropriate...

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:24 pm

View Original PostRussianRiz wrote:My take is that Nerv has way more control over Ayanami series than others, like Shikinami. They even managed to erase Rei Ayanami (tentative name) from distance, which they certainly cannot do with Asuka.

NERV don't exactly erase Rei Ayanami (tentative name).

Ayanami clones need constant calibration through LCL baths. An Ayanami clone will die if that doesn't happen.
Last edited by Konja7 on Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RussianRiz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:31 pm

Oh, when Fuyutsuki says that she "was not not properly calibrated", I undertood that he's was talking she was a deviant from "Ayanami project". Being a calibration through the baths makes much more sense. Thanks for explaining.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:50 pm

Well, the advanced ones do not seem to have nipples...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:56 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Well, the advanced ones do not seem to have nipples...

The nipples could just be hidden due to the position in which Advanced Ayanami appear.

I guess breasts aren't part of the sexual distintion for Fuyutsuki.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:24 pm

When I saw that scene, I interpreted that their souls are "pure and genderless". They seem to be deprived of emotions and personality, making them obedient and rational like robots.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:54 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:When I saw that scene, I interpreted that their souls are "pure and genderless". They seem to be deprived of emotions and personality, making them obedient and rational like robots.

That's most likely to be the actual way how it's meant, that they represent a "purified, heavenly" existence without human messyness
An impact remote control that won't/can't betray gendo this time around.

Though horrified as they look upon emerging I doubt it's an enjoyable state of existence
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:30 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:That's most likely to be the actual way how it's meant, that they represent a "purified, heavenly" existence without human messyness

You know, the word "heavenly" really matches the AAS vibes. In the frame showing them on a tank, they are represented with chakras (correct me if I'm mistaken), showing that they transcended to a superior existence, in the Buddhist sense. I may be wrong, but in eastern religions/philosophies (like Buddhism), a calm and zen mind is the key to enlightenment.

Last edited by Raikyu on Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:15 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Ayanami clones need constant calibration through LCL baths. An Ayanami clone will die if that doesn't happen.

What about the Shikinami ones?
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:22 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:What about the Shikinami ones?

Shikinami doesn't seem to need this.

This seems to be something exclusive from Ayamsi clones. We've seen that Rei II also need the LCL bath to survive

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:29 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostC.T.1290#928180 wrote:What about the Shikinami ones?

Shikinami doesn't seem to need this.

This seems to be something exclusive from Ayamsi clones. We've seen that Rei II also need the LCL bath to survive

This may be a hint that the Ayanami Series' souls are not "natural" and they host Lilith's soul in this continuity too. While the Shikinami Series use their own souls. The long-haired Rei was holding a doll with the word "Tsubame" written on it, which may prove that she shared the soul with Rei Q. However the Advanced Series may not share the same soul, due their specific nature.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:43 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:The long-haired Rei was holding a doll with the word "Tsubame" written on it, which may prove that she shared the soul with Rei Q. However the Advanced Series may not share the same soul, due their specific nature.

This. Clearly both Reis were "unified" in the end, which is kind of a happy ending for the Rei that "tanged" in the village earlier.

Side note, there was this (quite old) Japanese blog (https://evaq.web.fc2.com/index.html) that refered to Rei-2 as "poka-nami" (because of all the "poka-poka" -warmth- dialog in the elevator with Asuka), and Rei-6 as "kuro-nami" because of the black plug suit. I don't know how widespread these denominations are among the Japanese fandom.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:58 am

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:This. Clearly both Reis were "unified" in the end, which is kind of a happy ending for the Rei that "tanged" in the village earlier.

I think Rei II has Rei Q memories (maybe she even experienced everything at the same time), but don't think Rei II and Rei Q were "unified".

Remember that Shinji needs to tell Rei II that she could have a live without the Eva and find her own place.

Shinji: "Another one of you could found a place she could call home".

This phrase implies that Rei II and Rei Q aren't the same even if they are connected.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:18 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Shinji: "Another one of you could found a place she could call home".

This phrase implies that Rei II and Rei Q aren't the same even if they are connected.

I guess that depends on how you interpret that scene. Maybe it was just me, but I don't think that excludes their "unified soul". They could be talking about "another Ayanami" that now is part of "poka-nami"

catinajar
Lilith

Advanced Ayanami Series: Which Adams?!

•      
  •      

Postby catinajar » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:48 pm

Hi hi,

So it’s overtly stated that the ‘sexless’ (but very boobed) Ayanami series are vessels for Adams. But...which Adams? Second impact led to 4 Adams appearing all of which have vessels now, three Evas and the Key of Nebuch...I can’t spell it. ‘That tiny nervous system key’.

So what are these soulless vessels for? Any idea? Did I miss the fact that impacts could lead to the emergence of multiple Adams after the humans are all tanged?
'I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....

'Shinji really shines in the hospital scene' - LiLi on the... ah-hem... 'Beautiful Boy' ;)

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Advanced Ayanami Series: Which Adams?!

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Not exactly.

The 4 Adams' vessels are Mark. 9 (rebuilt as Mark. 9-A in Shin), Mark. 10, Mark. 11 and Mark. 12. Each one of them is linked to each one of the four ships and Mari calls all the ships as "Adams".

We know that the Adams' vessels are all made of core (just like seen in 3.0), so I speculate that they are the Adams' cores in the form of EVAs. In NGE, the word "vessel" usually refers to vessel of the soul, which is the purpose of the cores. But this just speculation of my own.

The Key is something else. There is a frame in the epicenter of the Second Impact with giant 4 crosses (4 Adams) and a fifth giant cross bigger than the others. It could be related to the Key, to Eva-13 ("one of the surviving Adams") or both. Maybe there was one Adam that split into the 4 Adams or that spawned them. No one knows for sure.

Edit: Here's the frame I was talking about:

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:10 pm

Again, I decided to merge these threads (The Advanced Ayanami Series + Advanced Ayanami Series: Which Adams?!), as they were very similar to each other.

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Might want to get your eyes checked there Professor Fuyutsuki, I clearly see Booba and curves on those bodies.

I just wanted to point out that during Instrumentality (after the Imaginary Evangelion is awakened), we see some faceless bodies walking around. Similar to the EOE, these are probably the souls of humanity about to collide. Anyway, these are shaped like women's bodies. Perhaps this is what a body "free from sexual distinction" looks like in this reality.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:33 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I just wanted to point out that during Instrumentality (after the Imaginary Evangelion is awakened), we see some faceless bodies walking around. Similar to the EOE, these are probably the souls of humanity about to collide. Anyway, these are shaped like women's bodies. Perhaps this is what a body "free from sexual distinction" looks like in this reality.

If we want to throw in some anime pseudoscience, IRL embryos are “default female” and develop male gonads in the presence of male hormones (…or something like that, I’m not a biologist), so the “default” sexless form would be something closer to female.

When I heard that line I also specifically checked for nipples (which the NTE goes out of the way to show in every other shot, even when they could be easily “obscured” by convenient angles) and was pretty surf i didn’t see any.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:24 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I think Rei II has Rei Q memories (maybe she even experienced everything at the same time), but don't think Rei II and Rei Q were "unified".

Remember that Shinji needs to tell Rei II that she could have a live without the Eva and find her own place.

Shinji: "Another one of you could found a place she could call home".

Perhaps; Or maybe Shinji isn't fully aware that they are unified, or he needs to phrase it that way because honestly nobody has experience of talking to a person about someone else who used to be a separate person but now are the same, so he just settles for that expression.

Either way, if it's just one soul that is shared among all the Ayanami clones, they are essentially the same person, but with different memories (brains), now unified/consolidated. I think Kaworu's line when approaching Dogma:

Her soul is somewhere else/in the wrong place

supports this last idea.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”