Commentary: General (Episodes 09-18;20-26)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Commentary: General (Episodes 09-18;20-26)

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:24 pm

Episode 16

007 -- it's morning in a dysfunctional household

010 -- while I don't envy Misato's position here, her attempts at parenting are wrecking the squadron she commands. Fraternization between the ranks isn't helping either.

033 -- and it's all downhill from here

078 -- except in the end, discipline be damned.

091 -- how to defeat range anxiety in your EV, sorry Evangelion

111 -- "I should have run away. I should have run away. ..."

114 -- black frame https://wiki.evageeks.org/images/6/60/16_C114ed.jpg missing

144 -- quite an unusual choice of interstitial, clouds like witches on broomsticks and a church

154 -- Asuka reveals herself to Rei, but nothing comes of it

188 -- NERV must be running on a shoestring staff at the commissioned officer level for the words "relieved of responsibility" and "reduced to the ranks" not to appear after this

221 -- Swimming seems an odd choice of hardship, even if Shinji's lack of the skill has been implied by his deciding to do physics homework rather than doggy-paddling in the shallow end. There's probably a real world tale to be told here.

254 -- a Lalah and Amuro moment

258 -- offering up his soul

264 -- missing presumably all black frame https://wiki.evageeks.org/images/9/93/16_C264a.jpg

271 -- "...which is the same as infinite" (Thank you, Shin Eva)

283 -- as if the people around her had not been bad enough, now Yui puts the boot in

310 -- a red herring or the ghost of an earlier draft; we know the question is moot in EoTV (or is answered "mostly" in EoE)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:44 pm

Episode 17

002 -- a heavy-handed hint

013 -- Second Impact can handwave away some of the geographical oddities, but not all of them

034 -- after the previous cross-synchronization experiments, doing anything with Eva-02 seems odd; and it turns out that this is a Chekov gun that didn't fire.

041 -- Ritsuko looks jealous here of the attention Rei is getting

083 -- even if she comes in job lots, it seems odd that there's so little security here
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:24 pm

Episode 18

008 -- Shinji shies away from Misato's attempts to reveal a woman's feeling a few episodes from now

045 -- They're still waiting for the new transfer student to arrive. I mean, it's _always_ the new transfer student.

054 -- I'm still surprised that this rooftop scene never launched a Toji/Rei ship based on misapprised feelings

094 -- the commentary on episode 16 is laid on thickly here.

099 -- another all too brief male bonding time. Shinji would have benefited from being transferred to Kaji's care -- but that would have cut too deeply into his double-agent time.

150 -- the operational unit cohesion demonstrated against Matarael has been squandered

170 -- and Gendo, for all his other skills, is no small unit tactician --he has deployed his units in such a manner as to squander his numerical advantage, each unsupported by the others.

189 -- Rei is on the receiving end of what she was too relectant to deal out

214 -- The Evangelion battle-somersault -- Shinji can deal it out (https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_02_Cut_262) but can't take it

220 -- Shinji throws his hands up at being faced with a trolley problem

240 -- Harsh, but fair

276 -- "The first operational test has been a success!"

308 -- "Like a boss"

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:02 pm

Episode 10

cut 067: Asuka is not my favourite character but I have thing that I really like scuba diving girls so I whish to be see her (and other characters, especialy Misato) doing more scuba diving in the show but oh well. May be I write a fan fiction about it one day.

I hope this isn't creepy for any one tho.

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:21 pm

Episode 17

cut 017: This is probably pointed out by a lot of people already but I just recently realized that Kensuke is the closest representation of the viewers. He is want to be a pilot becouse he is a fan of the EVA's and he want to be a part of the team of our favourite characters just like the fans of the show would want to.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:24 pm

Episode 20

006 -- The Hayflick limit is is the number of times a normal somatic, differentiated human cell population will divide before cell division stops (due to telomere erosion).

013 -- Surely someone on staff would be able to move the surviving chairs...

015 -- Still unanswered, how they caged the raving beast; and what state it was in at the time (e.g. shedding more and more armour)

026 -- he should have sneezed before speaking

057A -- one bit of Christian symbolism skipped ("On the third day...")

061 -- For the moment, the ocean is still blue. The land, on the other hand...

062 -- Mixing the OP cameo shots with outtakes from the past episodes; with many of those being scenes where Shinji was not present, so it's not all literal memory flashbacks

067 -- the snake of light in the sky in https://wiki.evageeks.org/images/3/32/20_C067ab.jpg looks like an flash-forwards a few episodes rather than being one of Shamshel's whips.

071 -- https://wiki.evageeks.org/images/b/b4/20_C071aj.jpg seems like something we haven't seen before; https://wiki.evageeks.org/images/6/63/20_C071bb.jpg is a rare instance of eye-in-pyramid imagery that the series almost cries out for

084A -- he doesn't know

137A -- nor does he linger 40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness

162 -- A revelation a month late and a dollar short

180 -- an offer turned down more than once

208B -- they were doing so well, and then the Engrish broke through

240 -- cue discontinuity

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:37 pm

Episode 21

054 -- the "good girls go for bad boys" motif

060 -- Much more like Straker in the "photo" than back in cut 046

318 -- if in doubt, become a doctor. In the "you never see things once", this gets reprised in Shin Eva

076 -- coincidence or enemy action? Gendo has no comment

132 -- tell us it's a Forerunner artifact without telling us it's a Forerunner artifact.

279 -- one of the few places where something was removed in the DC version presented here (a view of the name plate on the apartment door)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:02 pm

Episode 22

041 -- Shinji seems to be getting mixed up between "talking to family" and "talking in foreign". Though on second thoughts, the former is just as foreign to him.

051 -- unusually off model at the end here

058B -- the systematic program of undermining is well advanced.

066 -- cats are at least easier to manage than teenagers

069 -- seen more than once : this parallels the Ritsuko washroom scene a few episodes ago https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_13_Cut_011

107 -- you'll find out eventually, dear.

123 -- having been left hung out to dry without support in the last couple of actions, one might have hoped that the lesson had gotten through.

162 -- IRL, a positron beam pulse would quickly turn into a mostly collimated batch of gamma radiation. Scattering losses might well heat the path enough to evaporate clouds. It only needs a little bit of handwavium, and the rifle is already using enough of that.

169 -- cut the power!

192 -- suicide by angel

217 -- Another collection of odd, not yet completely identified images https://wiki.evageeks.org/images/b/b3/22_C217ac.jpg is another of those enigmatic shots that look like they may be a real world photograph, retouched.

243 -- the trench of hypocrites, trudging along in their robes of gilded lead

251 -- The masks have to come off, so full speed ahead, and damn the torpedos

271 -- this is more than just muscle power

279 -- "first astronomical velocity"? The value that makes sense is orbital velocity at sea-level rather than Earth escape (though pretty close to the latter)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Episode 23

121 -- is this acknowledging the Rei apparition we saw in the cross-over experiment as a separate but equal? https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_14_Scene_10

141 -- convenient LCL physics strike again

196 -- ...and break out one of the spares.

198 -- despite Gendo's stonewalling (https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_13_Cut_111), SEELE have acquired an accurate count through other channels

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Episode 24

001 -- what ever just happened to so exalt her also set her up for the fall that we've seen going on for the past 8 episodes

014C -- this one scene is the most significant addition in the DC episodes, in terms of linking to EoE. All the added background and flash-back sequences pale in comparison with this in relationship to the callback that's made to it.

016 -- the zero to infinity swap doesn't apply here

040 -- was this the straw that broke her?

044 -- meaning that despite having been flatmates for some weeks, they truly never broke the ice socially, even just as colleagues.

050A -- be careful what you wish for

050C -- he only has women to call upon, and those only rhetorically; all male companions have been taken away. At this point we realise that the pilots never interacted directly with the bridge bunnies.

090 -- it finally sinks in

105 -- the alternating background image seems like pretty gratuitous tech for the context, even if simply projected; if meant to be a configurable display screen, the more so.

106 -- you never see things just the once; but what a contrast with https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_23_Cut_214

110 -- the strobing image has stopped, presumably to indicate chucking out time.

112 -- the reaction that launched a thousand ship-fics

140 -- technically not quite the same as going to bed together

184 -- where Hell freezes over, and those who betray their country or faction are found

199 -- if this is Cocytus level 4, this is where those who betray masters or benefactors are buried in the ice. Level 3, where the betrayal is in the opposite direction, would seem more appropriate in the context.

310 -- another "seen more than once", with an immediate callback at the start of 25'

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:04 pm

Thank you, Tines! I've added all your comments, and I'll be back in a couple of days to add your comments on episodes 25 and 26.

Thanks to Zusuchan for adding the comments for Episode 14.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:32 pm

Episode 25

076 -- the beginning and the end, this dead wood in the fog

110 -- the real world leaks into the shared nightmare of Instrumentality

111 -- as we don't have an episode 25' commentary I'll hang this remark here:
Without a chain of command getting in the way, Asuka on the rebound fights to the limits of her capability; but unlike the previous time Asuka was in mortal danger https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_10_Cut_324 Yui declines to assist

170 -- while narratively following on from the mutual introspection of the Reis, this also feels like a flashback

185 -- without EoE, the juxtaposition of this and the next cut with Gendo's exposition seems to point a finger at whodunnit

188 -- this confrontation too feels like a flashback

244 -- this cut of Asuka is performing sterling service for any time an accusation needs be made

305 -- seen (heard) more than once; though the next time it's all Shinji speaking

310 -- implied "So, everybody just die." line, even here

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:11 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
111 -- as we don't have an episode 25' commentary I'll hang this remark here:

Alas, yes. Even though the old site had thumbnails and partial dialogue for 25' and 26' (and a brief section of 26' actually had Reichu translating and adding comments) none of that got ported over. No idea why. If someone can find a way to port over any 25' and 26' stuff from the old site to this one, including it as a coda to the commentary might be feasible, but since I sincerely doubt that'll happen, EoTV it'll have to be.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:43 am

Tines is already nearly finished, what the fuck.

I also intend to comment on every episode, but alas, time's a precious little thing, I have other interests and so I haven't even managed to comment on the second half of 19. I'll try to be a bit quicker in the future.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:25 pm

That's because Tines has consistently commented on one episode every day (barring wiki outages) and has thus managed to cover the remainder of the entire series. Perhaps you could try something similar, or stick to 2-3 scenes per episode per day? It may take a couple of months, but it should all be covered by the end.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:11 pm

Episode 26

001 -- we'd checked the onsen and beach episode boxes, but there was no Christmas episode/New Year's episode, not even of the odd unseasonal snow+presents type that RahXephon later felt obliged to include, to mark the change.

The combination of this date, and the frankly inexplicable UX of having a screen in EoE labelled just "2015" (rather than "Now") juxtaposed with one reading "Second Impact" (rather than "2001" which would be consistent) has had some interesting consequences.

061 -- We almost get Shinji sitting by the ocean and then fading away between this cut, and some of the later introspection. Then 25 years on...

129A -- there's a project here to track the images to their source cuts (for this and other flashing image cuts)

223 -- gratuitous Hallucigenia (https://wiki.evageeks.org/images/0/0a/26_C223j.jpg); but no Anomalocaris. A much younger me would have identified the arrow-headed beast (https://wiki.evageeks.org/images/5/52/26_C223l.jpg).

231 -- my first reaction at this point was "Don't tell me this has all been a dream!" There could have been a resolution of a "real world with psychotic breaks" scenario with interior monologuing filling in the gaps, and some mundane challenge to overcome, but it wouldn't have been Eva as we know it

268 -- Misato's driving hasn't improved any

284 -- the childhood friend never wins

308 -- back to where we came in

326 -- the butterfly emerges from the chrysalis

342 -- what Shinji had been waiting to hear all along. As much from his mother (who doesn't reject her husband in this Instrumentality) as from Gendo.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:22 pm

Comments added, Tines. Thank you, and congratulations!

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:33 pm

Episode 16

029 Shinji shows a moment of joy and recognition. He is gaining confidence from the praise for his somewhat 'innate' synchronization. This serves as a dichotomy for the next events, where he is confronted by his weaknesses and inner thoughts.

030 This is an example of taking your work home with you. Even after taking off the plug suit, Asuka's thoughts still focus on performance compared with the Eva pilots. Her jealousy even leads her to confide with Rei as if expecting some kind of support and agreement from her imagined worst enemy.

042 This shows Shinji riding on the high of his recent test scores, as he ponders the purpose of his role as an Eva pilot. In this scene, he resolutely clenches his fist with determination, building himself up for future success.

051 This angel is characteristically striped like a zebra, and noticeably more black than white, casting an ominous shadow across the sun-lit Tokyo-3 city. This coloring seems to refer to the psychology concept for "splitting" or "black and white thinking", which is also referenced in the second title of the episode "splitting of the breast". This is a central theme of the episode as Shinji's seeming confidence at the start of the episode, and acknowledgment of his positive qualities, are quite literally enveloped by the negative experiences in his life as he is analyzed by Leliel.

096 Just like how we practiced on the bus, remember Shinji? You can do this!

152 How the spotlights illuminate the characters in this scene, brings out an interesting shade and contrast that suits Asuka's conversation with Rei. It seems to suggest the dichotomy of their personalities and their hidden feelings. Asuka's arrogance does seem to be a front to hide her own insecurities as an Eva pilot, which Rei points out. As in the Bible: 'Therefore whatever you have said in the dark shall be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in private rooms shall be proclaimed on the housetops.' Luke 12:3

Title 2 The splitting of the breast is an odd title. I had to do some research on psychology websites. The meaning derives from the theories of Melanie Klein on childhood development, and how the baby splits the mother’s breast into the good breast that feeds and nourishes, and the bad breast that withholds and persecutes the baby. The breast is also a maternal reference in this episode for Yui, since we are presented with apparitions of Yui at the end of the episode in one of her first-ever appearances, I believe.

182 Indeed, Ritsuko is quite literally putting Misato in the dark.

208B This is the main concept of splitting and is quite bluntly pointed out by Asuka. The unrealistic thinking of the extremes of one's self. Even the banal conversation at the beginning of the episode where Asuka shouts at Shinji becomes something that Shinji feels guilt for. The subsequent montage goes through many of the negative experiences Shinji may have felt bad about.

254 Yui comes to save Shinji, bringing him out of the despair Leliel has cast him in. As in the Bible: 'the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.' John 1:5

305 Shinji could be referencing Yui here. Misato's appearance after Yui represents her surrogate role as a mother to Shinji. Misato is the only one who shows genuine care and affection for Shinji during these close calls.

312: Scenes where Eva is hosed off, seem to remind me of the bathing scenes of the other characters. There is a purification that comes after the violence in the previous scenes. A baptism of some sort to wash away the sins from within.
Last edited by dzzthink on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:24 pm

I actualy want to read the commentaries for the first 8 episode befor I start my own commentaries

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:40 pm

@dzzthink: Thank you for such excellent comments, please continue!

@LuigiShinji: By the way, this comment of yours below does not fit the cut number and episode you mentioned. Where does this one go?

Luigi Shinji wrote:Episode 17

cut 017: This is probably pointed out by a lot of people already but I just recently realized that Kensuke is the closest representation of the viewers. He is want to be a pilot becouse he is a fan of the EVA's and he want to be a part of the team of our favourite characters just like the fans of the show would want to.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”