Commentary: General (Episodes 09-18;20-26)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Commentary: General (Episodes 09-18;20-26)

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:12 pm

EvaGeeks is pleased to announce that the remaining episodes in the commentary are now open for your comments, as part of the End of the Eva Commentary Project.

For those familiar with how to comment such as those taking part in the Episode 07 commentary thread, the format followed here will be different, since this does not deal with one episode, but rather serves as a general commentary thread for all open commentary episodes.

Of the following, Episodes 09-18 and 20-26 (Evangelion TV ending) are open to comment. (Episode 19 gets its own independent thread)
https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Main

Commentaries for Episodes 01-08 are complete and closed to comment. Comments for those episodes will be rejected unless there's a really good reason to make an exception.

Post your comments in this thread, folks! Please indicate which Episode you're making your comments for, and the cut number. Something like the pattern below -

Episode 11-

Cut 108: (comment)

Alternatively, you could go -

11-108: (comment)

As long as it's clear which episode and which cut you're commenting upon, any variation of the above is fine.

Feel free to comment, it's open to all regardless of whether you're brand new to the site and to Evangelion, or an old stalwart from long before the time of the Rebuild movie tetralogy.

Anyone willing to help us with the closure of the commentary project, feel free to volunteer here. We would be very grateful for the help!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Commentary: General (Episodes 09-18;20-26)

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:00 pm

Episode 09

In Japanese schools, students are assigned to a classroom and the teachers rotate. Students in an all-girls school will usually change in the classroom before gym class but in co-ed schools, they have a designated changing room for gym class.

In Japanese schools, everyone must change their shoes upon entering. The notes are in Asuka's shoebox where students change from their outside shoes to indoor shoes when entering every morning. Each student has their own assigned shoebox.

Since all students have the same uniforms and shoes it's common to see students write their names and class numbers on them in case they get lost for some reason. Not everyone does this but it's pretty common.

This game is reminiscent of Dance Dance Revolution or the "Bemani" series musical arcade games which were extremely popular at the time in Japan.

There's an alternate ending to this scene in the Nintendo 64 Neon Genesis Evangelion game if you enter the correct hidden pattern for the last command. It shows both Evas posing for a stylish landing.

Episode 10

Japanese students have an annual class trip every year in the summer to various locations in Japan. Okinawa is a popular vacation destination in Japan. It's like the Japanese Hawaii so this is a premium class trip.

This where Misato changes her preferred beer brand from Yebisu to Boa. Yebisu is an actual beer whereas I've never seen Boa.

The angel is a bit difficult to see but there's a full 3D model in the Nintendo 64 game in which you can easily view it in the model viewer option.

Episode 11
UCC brand is a real canned cofee brand that you can still buy from vending machines in Japan. In Hakone, there are even Evangelion-themed vending machines for UCC brand coffee.

Even though the green pay phones are still a staple in Japan, the phonebooks are no longer present

This looks like a 3D map of the Gotemba/Fujioka area, the real location of the fictional Tokyo 3.

In case of an emergency, read the manual!

This is what a typical political campaign vehicle looks like. During election time, these vehicles drive down the road blaring campaign slogans through megaphones. Yes, it is annoying. It was cool to see Hyuga repurpose this vehicle to give the emergency evacuation order.

253-254
First appearance of Blue Unit 00!

Note

If no one posts after this I will continue to update this post with subsequent episode commentary.

I hope I'm doing this right *fingers crossed*
Oh, the clock is ticking out

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:51 am

You are doing this absolutely right. Thank you so much for your comments, I'm adding them right away. Please continue making your comments, I hope they encourage others to add their own. Also, I am going to make this a sticky so that everyone can see it and post in it.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:27 pm

Episode 17

071 To be honest, it was quite bemusing to find Hikari suddenly liking Toji. It was a sharp contrast to her usual attitude as the strict class representative. Draws an interesting parallel with Misato and Asuka who hide or deny their feelings. Hikari does this too but opens up to Toji by preparing meals for him.

114 Rei is clearly confused about her feelings towards Shinji. Compared with her usual ambivalence, these precious moments reveal Rei's inner psychology and emotional state.

159 In the context of the NGE and Rebuild series, this scene is very significant. In life we must be accustomed to both hardship and happiness. I am reminded of the Bible quote "That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:10. Kaji is telling Shinji, there is more to life than piloting an Eva but in this life, you must pilot an Eva. But always remember the simple things, since the simple act of nurturing watermelons can bring great peace. It is a moment of pure serenity and calm before being broken by the complications of work and relationships when Misato rings in.

Episode 18

068 Oh yeah that true. For once, Toji is able to literally walk in Shinji's shoes and feels great guilt about their first encounter.

073 I find it funny that everyone in the class is aware of Hikari's crush aside from the three stooges.

106 As a follow-up to the watermelon scene, Kaji provides a great deal of wisdom. Perhaps this scene is foreshadowing something, or rather Kaji is warning Shinji about his father. Just when Shinji might finally begin developing an understanding of his father with their earlier interactions, there is a great amount of unknown that separates us from forming close relationships. Their opposing body positions imply they are on two separate mindsets, as Shinji stills hold desperately onto his father, whilst Kaji uses Misato as an example to let Shinji know it is hopeless to completely understand someone.

194 Really liked the ADV dub where Gendo so uncaringly says to cut it off. Really felt bad for Rei though.

279 This is pure nightmare fuel. Although we typically don't feel many emotions when an Angel is getting its ass kicked, imagining this happening to Toji is frightening to watch. I always wondered if Toji was actually conscious of the level of pain during this scene, but I realize it would have left him too traumatized. Hopefully, he was unconscious the moment the Angel took over.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:53 pm

Comments added, thank you!

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:068 Oh yeah that true. For once, Toji is able to literally walk in Shinji's shoes and feels great guilt about their first encounter.

I forgot that it was the same fist with which he hit him, and that flexing was the opposite of what he does in Episode 03.

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:33 am

Episode 10

Cut 123

Asuka blows up because she looks cool and fat.
Last edited by Asugran233 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

RussianRiz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:55 pm

Episode 20
60: I just love this episode. From this sequence, we have what is basically a demonstration of what would be Instrumentality in End of Evangelion.

Episode 21
46: Those bruises, they certainly come as a shock when you remember that it's the very Shinji's father!
252: Ah, the choking. Certainly something significant in the franchise. The rejection of the other. In that case, Rei 1 resembles directly to Yui, which is why Naoko attacked her.
254: That cut hits us hard as much as it did to her.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:15 pm

I'll probably be doing an episode a day on this.

Ep 9

012 -- One of the more harmless cases of locker-box as mail-drop in anime; no invitations to duel or thumbtacks in the street-shoes. In all, this is a very anime cliché heavy episode

013 -- cf Jun's school shoes in _Rozen Maiden_ (being the only other instance that comes immediately to mind)

014 -- Asuka's place at the centre of attention naturally attracts absolute jealousy from the other girls

023 -- the only person not intrigued by the newcomer

032 -- Asuka still has a massive crowd of onlookers, even though she's stopped blocking the stairway

034 -- Actually a perfectly reasonable response; boosting team cohesion for one thing. Rei is the one being inefficient here.

038 -- establishing that there's a history amongst the adult cast

067 -- establishing that there's mobile infrastructure enough to work around the problem of range anxiety

114 -- this scene is the only time that Fuyutsuki directly interacts with the pilots.

119 -- the standard paperwork gag for any time things go pear shaped.

142 -- Kaji has dumped the hot potato in Misato's lap

220 -- Joshua 6:5 "And it shall come to pass, that when they make a long blast with the ram's horn, and when ye hear the sound of the trumpet, all the people shall shout with a great shout; and the wall of the city shall fall down flat, and the people shall ascend up every man straight before him."

Clearly Shinji did not have the horn.

230 -- Cue Pepe BOOBA meme...

240 -- Now she's asleep though and in range, making a move becomes tempting.

366 -- Inazuma Kick!

312 -- A hammerspace gag of all things
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:43 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I'll probably be doing an episode a day on this.

That works well for me too! I've added your comments, and I'll be fixing the Commentary Navigation and Scene Indices for all the remaining scenes as soon as I can.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:08 pm

Episode 10

001 -- Civilian life in/near Tokyo-3 carries on as normal, despite the recent excitment

002 -- Kaji takes a stoic attitude towards this burdensome duty

005 -- And 25 years after the anime, that seems a fairly conservative design (= large area of cloth) compared with what we see girls of similar age wearing in the obligatory beach episode even in low-fanservice titles; so, what she said

028 -- exchanges like this establish that Asuka has little respect for Shinji. Just because he's the MC it doesn't mean he has to get the girl

058 -- Chekov's gun is loaded. And the topic was first year (rising 12 years old) highschool physics back when I did it.

103 -- Everything is proceeding according to plan

142 -- while we've seen an Eva drop from being transported back in episode 7 (https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_07_Cut_245 et seq.), the logistics of the take-off are more challenging

149 -- the plot thickens

178 -- the "red water" for benefit of the audience is presumably also what that monitor system is showing.

186 -- there's always a generous safety margin

224 -- on first viewing, this seemed such a blatant death flag for a character with a "blink and you miss it" presence in the OP

324 -- but this time Yui magic is invoked to save the day
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:55 am

Comments added, thank you! I'll be adding new comments on a routine basis whenever I'm around.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:30 pm

Thanks again to Ursus for managing the commentary.

Episode 15

068 Rei seems again confused about Shinji's statement, despite being neutral about the way he was staring at her earlier. This goes to show she does care about how Shinji perceives her or is just shocked that anyone would care to consider her as anything other than an Eva pilot. There are many interpretations for this scene, such as Rei being somewhat aware and scared that she is a clone of Shinji's mom. I guess at this point in the series we don't know about this truth yet, and so Anno revels in throwing these hints at the viewer. People who watch this scene back must laugh to themselves.

137 The image of Rei seems to spark Shinji's response to reach out to Gendo. Again, the complications of their dynamic are clear, Shinji wants to know Gendo more, Rei seems to know more about Gendo.

235 In a Youtube comment of this scene, someone pointed out that Asuka's eyebrow becomes slightly crossed as she becomes more and more irritated by Shinji's passiveness (who can blame him). Watch here to see this closer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kME7NJrxhow. Anyways, I just want to say this is one of the funniest scenes in the entire series.
Last edited by dzzthink on Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:28 pm

Delayed by yesterday's wiki outage, episode 11

001 -- A typical urban scene, established Anno-style

006 -- laundromat tech in Tokyo-3 is impressive; not everything got set back by Second Impact

012 -- a peaceful commute, interrupted

018 -- perhaps (in universe) to clarify that this isn't some other cabal sharing the name, combined with a level of uninvolvement in the civic/political aspects of the city.

043 -- another peaceful journey interrupted

056 -- the "... this time" goes without saying. You can't be a real nutty scientist without your fair share of gadgets arcing to failure along the way.

063 -- clearly he has never visited Misato at home, however much of a torch he holds for her.

078 -- rank hath its privileges

083 -- I wonder if this reflects real world old-school earthquake preparedness

085 -- the conventional forces are surprisingly relaxed, presumably because they can hand this one off upstairs

100 -- strongly implying that Shinji the rookie hasn't got his copy with him, though both the other (serious/trained) pilots do.

142 -- Gendo is unflappable, even in these circumstances, where he doesn't know whose head needs to be served up on a platter.

Title 2 -- And _Klaatu barada nikto_ to you, Anno-san

187 -- one design that gets close to the angels from the book of Ezekiel

237 -- emotional whiplash after the earlier phonecall

276 -- the tears of an angel

299 -- after the poor showing she made earlier in the journey through the GeoFront, now it's a combat situation with no higher command trying to micro-manage, Asuka's training cuts in. It's a pity that later occasions, the officer of the day interferes to the detriment of small unit cohesion.

337 -- "I was expecting an Earth-shattering KABOOM!" This is a fairly anti-climactic end for an Angel.

343 -- Nothing he hasn't seen hundreds of times...

347 -- one wonders about the three pilots just wandering off into the countryside in their full uniforms, and no apparent escort, however idyllic the setting.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:59 am

The outage stopped me from adding the remaining comments from the 7th, but I think I've got everything now.

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:Thanks again to Ursus for managing the commentary.

Thank you for your comments! Please keep sending them in!

View Original PostRussianRiz wrote:Episode 20
60: I just love this episode. From this sequence, we have what is basically a demonstration of what would be Instrumentality in End of Evangelion.

Indeed it is. Don't be shy, please continue to add your insights on Episode 20! I have a feeling you have a lot of good things to say, so feel free to say them.

RussianRiz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:34 am

Oh, Ursus, don't make me blush. :nyao:

I really just wanted to make an appearance. I'll try to show up with more time another time.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:27 pm

Episode 12

002 -- cf. the iconic Christmas Eve broadcast from Apollo 8 -- https://vimeo.com/187472403

013A -- For the record, the glue used to join the original film stock with in this scene turned into a major red herring, back in the day

043 -- the mil-otaku cannot contain his curiosity

082 -- last time (https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_09_Cut_168), Hikari turned up out of obligation to a newcomer to class; now Asuka is one taking the initiative to invite her. This development happened sometime off-screen.

110 -- this particular notion of Purgation seems to be hinting at the Impact making some kind of reset to zero; but the broader use of such wonky theology is not confined to Evangelion (e.g. Symphogear AXZ)

133 -- is 17 the magic number here? (cf A-17 in https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_10_Cut_148)

153 -- a very cool feature for the basement in one of retracted towers, but what for? Perhaps a now-obstructed light-pipe from above?

173 -- Rei is much more relaxed about her dietary preferences than Nadia was. Did Anno mellow out in the interim?

181 -- presumably,(re-)entry ionization causing the expected blackout.

279 -- we got the "Earth-shattering KABOOM!" this time

305 -- good body language in this cut

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:47 pm

Episode 13

004 -- the good old "l33t h4kr means frantic typing speed" meme. If it's good enough for _Ghost in the Shell_...

034 -- Presumably, there are no discernable Easter Eggs in the screen text of this sequence

039 -- D-17 was an emergency order last time (https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_12_Cut_133)

048 -- yocto is the SI prefix for 1E-24 (1 septillionth) : implication is that AT fields have some interesting dynamic ranges

085 -- a rare occasion where the plugs eject under remote control while there's an Angel around

141 -- the rainbow coloured dendritic frame is a contrast to the quasi-regular pattern shown at other times, that look like they could arise from some form of cellular automata

171 -- and now we switch movies to _The Forbin Project_

232 -- It looks like the module where they are assembling is also the module Naoko splattered with her blood (https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_21_Cut_259)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:23 pm

Thank you! I may not be able to post acknowledgements for a while, but I will continue to add your comments as they come.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:43 pm

Episode 14

132 -- as well as a recap, there's the lore-dump where we get the names for these angels.

379 -- Gendo is poker-faced here as he lies through his teeth (cf cut 124)

001 -- the sequence to cut 008A recapitulates Shinji's journey in episode 4 (cuts 068 to 084) but in reverse order

035 -- as we saw with the game of twister, Rei and Shinji are indeed much alike on some fundamental level

047 -- Asuka, of course, isn't like the other pilots; but gets directed away from asking awkward questions by having her ego fed.

065 -- the whole sequence has been leading to this next step in the conspiracy; of course the further down the chain of command from Gendo, the less the NERV staff is in the know about what's really going on.

075 -- Many a true word spoke in Asuka's jest; the subject of mothers having not been brought up before.

Cuts 316 and 320 have untranslated eye-catches (something about launching the first capture operation, and the electromagnetic cage, respectively, as online OCR/machine translation suggests). Elsewhere the eye-catch text is not always in the purple style.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:04 pm

Episode 15

134 -- the relationship between Rei and Gendo is a strange one. As we've seen, and been reminded, she both disavows any insight into him, yet manages to speak with him in a way that cheers both of them. Is this actually something closer to the relationship of a man and his faithful hound?

148 -- when Shinji is doing something that is entirely outside their duties as pilots, Asuka is able to recognise an accomplishment, because it's one that's not threatening to her status. Shinji's response then undercuts what he has been doing -- and any prestige it might have earned him.

199 -- in vino veritas

217 -- true love is deep kissing a woman who's thrown up only minutes before

226 -- what contrast here to the previous kiss

235 -- yes, this is where the ship founders upon hidden reefs

244 -- in close to a recovery position, against another bout of puking

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”